collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Buying More Wolf Habitat  (Read 21153 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: WDFW Buying More Wolf Habitat
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Speechless  ?
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 10:00:43 PM »
So here's a map I found that illustrates where the deer are vs where the predators are. 

red = predator area
yellow = deer area

make of it what you will  ;)

Offline Buckhunter82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »

In all due respect, to those in concern. Those of you who are young, those of you who have the money, those of you who have not seen the days when you COULD kill BIG bucks in this state with only the purchase of a resident tag and license. At one time you COULD kill huge bucks in this state, I have seen HUGE bucks killed in Chelan and Okanogan county, some were seen in person and some were seen in pictures, some of those pictures were 100 years old. There were"spots" in this state that would rival some of the states that you now "pay to play", I have helped "haul", "drag", "pack", and admire some HUGE bucks that were killed in THIS state, some at a frequency that you now have to pay a lot of money to just get "the opportunity".  I think what some are saying here is EXACTLY that. This state at one time had some of the healthiest mule deer herds in the country, they were there, they were healthy and accessible. You know what, its not even close anymore, maybe some of these folks that you are ridiculing, they just might see something that you don't see ;).....once again, all due respect.
No on disputes that mule deer populations have declined. They have in nearly all western states including Colorado. There are many factors, many known and some unknown. To blame the decline on a single factor is ignorant.

https://muledeer.org/conservation/

I have to say it's a bit past "declined". From everything we have seen since the "game Department" changed to WDFW there has been an agenda to ruin hunting. We see it more with the mule deer, take away hound hunting, throw in loads of doe tags, add wolves and then pretend there aren't any for several years until forced to confirm a pack, then pretend wolf recovery is just starting and slow walk confirmation of wolves. We watch the deer drop in numbers each year while WDFW pretend everything is fine, all the while knowing they are full of BS.

WDFW own most of the Golden Doe, and there are very few deer on it, plenty of cat's and wolves though. Use to be quite a number of people that hunted that stretch of country, not so anymore, given the facts, just what the heck does WDFW need more land if there's nothing left to hunt.

Ignorant guy here...…... :chuckle:.
@wolfbait If there are "very few deer", But "plenty of cat's & wolves", what are they eating?

Livestock

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »

In all due respect, to those in concern. Those of you who are young, those of you who have the money, those of you who have not seen the days when you COULD kill BIG bucks in this state with only the purchase of a resident tag and license. At one time you COULD kill huge bucks in this state, I have seen HUGE bucks killed in Chelan and Okanogan county, some were seen in person and some were seen in pictures, some of those pictures were 100 years old. There were"spots" in this state that would rival some of the states that you now "pay to play", I have helped "haul", "drag", "pack", and admire some HUGE bucks that were killed in THIS state, some at a frequency that you now have to pay a lot of money to just get "the opportunity".  I think what some are saying here is EXACTLY that. This state at one time had some of the healthiest mule deer herds in the country, they were there, they were healthy and accessible. You know what, its not even close anymore, maybe some of these folks that you are ridiculing, they just might see something that you don't see ;).....once again, all due respect.
No on disputes that mule deer populations have declined. They have in nearly all western states including Colorado. There are many factors, many known and some unknown. To blame the decline on a single factor is ignorant.

https://muledeer.org/conservation/

I have to say it's a bit past "declined". From everything we have seen since the "game Department" changed to WDFW there has been an agenda to ruin hunting. We see it more with the mule deer, take away hound hunting, throw in loads of doe tags, add wolves and then pretend there aren't any for several years until forced to confirm a pack, then pretend wolf recovery is just starting and slow walk confirmation of wolves. We watch the deer drop in numbers each year while WDFW pretend everything is fine, all the while knowing they are full of BS.

WDFW own most of the Golden Doe, and there are very few deer on it, plenty of cat's and wolves though. Use to be quite a number of people that hunted that stretch of country, not so anymore, given the facts, just what the heck does WDFW need more land if there's nothing left to hunt.

Ignorant guy here...…... :chuckle:.
@wolfbait If there are "very few deer", But "plenty of cat's & wolves", what are they eating?

Livestock
How many livestock have been eaten in the methow this year?  I think some estimates have said 1 lion will eat a deer per week..not sure what a consumption rate for wolves would be...so whats been eaten...500 cattle? 1000? 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:14 AM »
 Any amount is too much
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:44 AM »
KFhunter, that map really illustrates what's going on in predator infested areas. The wolves even come right into the valleys close to some human dwellings in search of food. We have several friends who live right in the Colville Valley and the wolves are being seen weekly between Colville and Chewelah. The cattle and horses huddle as close to the house as possible when the wolves are around and will not go eat their feed until the wolves are gone.

A few weeks ago the cattle broke down the fence around one house and were in the yard in the morning, there were wolf tracks in the fresh snow not far from the house. A wolf was spotted 30 yards from another house in the valley.

At another ranch wolf tracks were found in the timber all around where the cattle were being fed so they moved the cattle as close to the house as possible and put the younger weened calves in a coral right next to the house.

A week or two ago a wolf was seen in the morning in the middle of the street in Bluecreek between the store and the railroad tracks (15 miles south of Colville). It was reported to WDFW that a wolf was in town and a chopper soon herded the wolf back up the mountian.

WDFW actually has a specific deer season along the Hwy 395 corridor to reduce car/deer wrecks. So, perhaps wolfbait didn't explain his reasoning well enough for a few folks, but if you call WDFW and ask them why they have the Colvlille Valley 2nd deer hunt they will tell you to more or less it was established to reduce car wrecks. Then if you look at the WDFW wolf pack map you will see wolf packs dominate the mountains surrounding the Colville Valley.

Anyone who has been hunting the higher mountain areas in Unit 117 and 121 (actually almost any unit in NE WA) in the last year or two can probably relate the lack of deer in the mountains. The most remaining deer are in the valley bottoms close to human activity.

Look at Kfhunters map then look at the WDFW wolf pack map, people living in these wolf infested areas think there's a connection? WDFW's special deer season to reduce deer numbers along Hwy 395 seems to verify that deer are concentrated in the valley!

(Colville valley highlighted in Yellow, the black dot is Colville)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:21:31 AM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2019, 08:28:32 AM »
Another thing that needs pointed out about that wolf map and the Methow/Okanogan area, for years WDFW has claimed there is only one pack in the Methow and one on Loup Loup, many members have said that's not true, there are numerous packs. It's pretty interesting that the the Loup Loup territory is the size of a half dozen other pack territories. So either there isn't many deer and that pack has to travel 4 times further to find food or there are numerous wolf packs?

I'm willing to bet it's a little of both!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
One must remember, Cougars and Wolves can and do eat small game. They also can go long periods without eating and can die of starvation just like other predators. It can take a few years after herds are depleted for them to move and or die.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
When Cougars resort to eating porcupine  there likely arnt many deer around... just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
 I personally think that it is great that the state is purchasing land for habitat. How did this get so far off the subject???
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
I personally think that it is great that the state is purchasing land for habitat. How did this get so far off the subject???
It started that way. Check the title.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
  :yeah: and the only reason I would even comment on a thread such as this.  Literally the whole discussion is just wolves are bad.  Has nothing to do with more public land and habit for everyone.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »

I was just kidding....  because everyone is insulting each other about their feelings on wolves... not funny I know>

Honestly though I think the state and RMEF and Pheasants forever and DU and all the other conservation groups acquiring habitat is the most positive thing that we have going right now as sportsman in this country. Without that we would not have any wild animals deer or wolves in the future.  Good on ya WDFW.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
Don't use that H-word around here...there is nothing positive about a corrupt bunch of wolf counters buying more wolf habitat so they can keep forcing wolves on us...look at the maps showing all that deserted habitat...and never mind the fact it looks like something a 4 year old made with 2 crayons  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Sadly, there are a folks out there with such extreme views they can't help but blame everything on wolves all the time...even something that should be nothing but good news for public land hunters.  If I lived in the city and couldn't go see for myself and only read this forum - I'd swear it would be an act of god to spot a deer just about anywhere in the state of Washington.   
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
So here's a map I found that illustrates where the deer are vs where the predators are. 

red = predator area
yellow = deer area

make of it what you will  ;)
Where did you "find" this map? What went into its creation?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]