collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Put myself in a potentially bad spot-looking for input  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Put myself in a potentially bad spot-looking for input
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »
I do a lot of trail maintenance this time or year and wearing knee-high gaiters keeps your lower legs warmer as well as dryer.
Glad to see you doing your best to do what is wise in regard to preventing hypothermia instead of blindly becoming a victim.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
Good for you to get out there!  We learn more by such hikes than any other way.  Some of my gear and practices are a result of long cold nights and wet cold hikes like yours.  You made a good choice to turn around.  Being stubbon gets some of us killed.  Lots of good stuff posted already:  boots, gaiters, etc.

For me, first I assume that in the conditions you described, I'm going to get wet, either from sweat or rain/wet brush.  I choose wet from sweat.  Others may differ.

On a hike/hunt I did in the N. Cascades from river bottom to above timberline in late Fall, it was raining at trailhead elevation and snowing steadily from half way up and above.  My first choice for such conditions (and also for some mild temps spring skiing) is to wear one thin layer of synthetic next to skin with breathable rain shell over that.  Nothing else unless it is quite cold.  My sweat outruns the garment's ability to breathe out water, so I get wet.  Synthetic fishnet was my all time favorite inner layer when I only wore a rain shell over it.

In my large summit pack size daypack I have insulating layers for top and bottom to put on if I stop for very long, or slow down to still hunt and glass.  All such extra clothes are sealed in a plastic bag inside the pack.  Do not depend on waterproof packs.  There ain't such a beast IME.  The most warmth for bulk are a fleece neck gaiter and stocking cap.  The stocking cap/toque goes over a cap with brim because I wear glasses and a large brimmed Florida fishing cap keeps rain off the lenses. 

If the trail is wide enough, I have rigged an umbrella or a light poncho to my frame pack so that it keeps rain off of my head while I hike.  Sticks that curve out over and ahead from where they are stuck or lashed to the frame make a roof for the person wearing the pack.  Doesn't work in wind.

For hunts when I hike up to timberline in the dark in order to hunt the dawn, I carry clean underwear and some wet wipes, sealed in a plastic bag.  Get under a spreading tree, strip down, wash off the worst sweat and put on clean clothes from skin out, including thin long johns for me at this point.  I feel lots better and I think I am warmer when clean and not gummy with sweat.

You are up to speed on this but I don't wear a stitch of cotton. 

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
Lots of great info already stated...so the only thing I will add is to put a road flare in your day pack (I carry one vacuum sealed, keeps everything clean as that wax on the flare gets messy in the pack)...IF you get hurt or lost you can start a fire easily and with any wood found, no matter how wet. for clothing and other great stuff, see all of the replies above!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »
Lots of great info already stated...so the only thing I will add is to put a road flare in your day pack (I carry one vacuum sealed, keeps everything clean as that wax on the flare gets messy in the pack)...IF you get hurt or lost you can start a fire easily and with any wood found, no matter how wet. for clothing and other great stuff, see all of the replies above!

Grade

:yeah: I do the same(except I keep more than 1) as long as you can build a good fire you will be ok in most circumstances. Nothing beats a flare to start fire under any conditions. Layering,proper gear and all that is important but making fire is most important I think. 

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
There is lots of great advice already here. You need experience with how your own body handles heat/cold/exertion/etc. like how you mentioned your right hand gets cold easily, so adjust accordingly.

I sweat easily and quickly, but also have poor circulation to my hands. Hiking in any rain gear would just get me soaked from the inside, so in the cold rain, I'll hike in a thin merino shirt with gloves and have a spare shirt in my pack to change into.

I highly recommend a Spot or InReach GPS messenger as well. Your life is worth it!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
Five pieces I always want in my day pack: wool watch cap, Filson mackinaw wool vest, and an oversize fleece sweatshirt with drawstring hood and waist.  Para cord and a disposable plastic film painter's tarp to make a wind and waterproof shelter (these latter two for when you aren't expecting to get dumped on with rain or snow, pretty sure they saved me a couple of times).   
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 02:12:04 PM »
I bought a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) when I went to Idaho alone, wolf hunting.

No fees, but strictly for Search and Rescue. I does not have a way to communicate with family or friends.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline MLHSN

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
+1 for taking extra top layers for changing into if you know you are going to be sweating. Another add for merino wool. Keeps you warm even when wet.

Offline cameronwe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I've learned a lot and confirmed some things I've been dragging my feet on because I can be a cheap ass-especially the merino. Never mind I went snowshoeing last month, boots were soaks but feet were warm due to a nice pair of wool socks. I was carrying what I thought to be adequate fire starting material: Some fat wood, cotton balls with Vaseline and a couple lighters. I'm not sure I could have started one up there though. I started testing random small branches ant the base of trees as I walked to see if I could find dry stuff. I had the idea that I it might be a good test to see if I could start one, but by that time my hands were too cold. I didn't find anything that I thought I would be able to light..
 I should have had another top layer for sure and maybe bottoms. I had some food and a camel back so I had the very bare min. I was kicking myself because I almost always bring a small tarp (size of a poncho we used to make hooches out of in the Army) but did neglected to do so this time.
  I'm going to have to figure this out as my plans are to try and get deer and bear in 407 or 418 and around here it seems like it's always wet lol.
Thanks again for all the responses and input. I'm going to have to get out again and do some testing with more back up in case things go TU

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
Hey Cameronwe  Looks like you and I are looking at the same areas. I've also added 448 to my list.  I'll PM you you
It's only trouble if you get caught. Otherwise it is an adventure.

Offline cameronwe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
Thanks DTRAY, PM replied

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
I bought a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) when I went to Idaho alone, wolf hunting.

No fees, but strictly for Search and Rescue. I does not have a way to communicate with family or friends.

I carry one of those as well.

The other thing is that as I do more, I realize I wasn't really in as much danger or as close to death as I thought.  I did a non-hunting event several years ago when we had snow in December down in the metro areas.  We rucked overnight in very lightweight clothes as well as taking a plunge in Lake WA and another 4 miles after that.  We kept warm by moving.  A guy could survive an incredibly bad situation by simply doing jumping jacks all night every time he got cold.  Incredibly not fun, but you would make it and have a great story.

Merino is great, I just wish it would last longer at the prices they charge.  Synthetics work 90% as well in my experience, but you smell like rotten death quickly.

Learning to be uncomfortable and dealing with stuff like blisters and wet feet and being cold a skill.  I know many (and used to be) guys that think that blisters will ruin a hunt.  Or, if they get wet feet the hunt is over.  It's a balance between not expecting perfection and having a bit of gear that really helps and a bunch of experience.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I recently picked up the garmin explorer mini, so far it's been good although I didn't get confirmation that a text was sent,  it was, but I didn't know for sure that it went out so I was worried everyone was worried about me, and that put a mini damper on my hunt.   

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 11:40:03 AM »
I recently picked up the garmin explorer mini, so far it's been good although I didn't get confirmation that a text was sent,  it was, but I didn't know for sure that it went out so I was worried everyone was worried about me, and that put a mini damper on my hunt.

I have the older version and on that one you can go into the sent folder and see which ones were successfully sent, maybe it's the same on the newer ones.  I also have a light that flashes red when it is trying to send and then turns to green once it goes through.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
ok cool, I'm still learning the device

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech