collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GoHunt to publish WA odds  (Read 6945 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: GoHunt to publish WA odds
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
I would be surprised if more than 1% of draw tags went to NRs in Wa...so a 10% cap would be meaningless.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, RMEF, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
I don't think many non-residents apply, it would be interesting to see the numbers.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself" Hunting Maps" 
http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided, Semi-Guided, Unguided, and Drop Camp Hunts in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Washington. Hunts with tags available (no draw) spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf!

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
In my opinion it’s just a matter of too many people wanting an extremely limited amount of tags. Am I wrong or is Washington’s system identical to Nevada’s?

Pretty close although they have landowner tags and a waiting period after you draw a tag before you can apply again.  There are also a few other rules like being able to turn the tag in for a refund of money and points and the ability to buy points only after the draw.

Their points system works the same way, which is to say you gather points and have horrific odds at drawing a tag.

AND....Nevada only gives 10% to non residents. The great state of Washington doesn’t care who gets the tags in fact, they would prefer all tags to go to non residents because WDFW gets more money! I’ve drawn 2 awesome tags in Nevada in 6 years....I drew one ok tag in WA in 14.

They way WA works is you have to pay for the full tag fee upfront whether you draw or not so it would make no difference to the state if a single NR drew or not.

Online Stein

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
Yeah, but they get a refund if they don't draw.

I'm sure there are isolated cases where there are few tags, or even one for a draw and it goes to a NR.  I would guess that is very likely and probably limited to out of state family.

For goats and sheep, there are probably more NR applications just due to the limited places to hunt them and the long odds.  For elk and deer, you would be better off applying everywhere and WA last.

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
I can see non-resident youth applying, especially for OIL permits. Their cost is less than adult residents for both the application, and the tag if drawn.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline chester

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

I'm sure there are isolated cases where there are few tags, or even one for a draw and it goes to a NR.  I would guess that is very likely and probably limited to out of state family.

For goats and sheep, there are probably more NR applications just due to the limited places to hunt them and the long odds.  For elk and deer, you would be better off applying everywhere and WA last.

Are you sure about the refund? I just can’t fathom Wdfw giving money back to anyone. I think as far as deer and elk go they just end up with an expensive spike tag.
Dilligaf

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »

Are you sure about the refund? I just can’t fathom Wdfw giving money back to anyone. I think as far as deer and elk go they just end up with an expensive spike tag.
Licenses for moose, goat, and mountain sheep are not purchased until an applicant is drawn. The license fee is not fronted for OIL species. For other species such as deer and elk a hunting license must be purchased to apply for special permits, and that cost is not refunded.

Offline Johnny Doe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »

Licenses for moose, goat, and mountain sheep are not purchased until an applicant is drawn. The license fee is not fronted for OIL species. For other species such as deer and elk a hunting license must be purchased to apply for special permits, and that cost is not refunded.

:yeah:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again!

Offline BUTTER

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
Useless information

Offline dreamingbig

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
I don't think many non-residents apply, it would be interesting to see the numbers.
True statement. They have to be buy a nonresident elk tag just to apply.  Not many folks doing that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
This is what Huntin' Fool has to say about non-residents applying in Washington:

For  non-residents,  it  is  difficult  to  justify  applying  for Washington’s special, better quality draw hunts for deer and/or elk. In order to apply for these draw hunts, you must first purchase a non-refundable deer and/or elk license, both of which are well over $400. If you are unsuccessful in the draw, you are stuck with a general tag. Unless you have  connections  in  Washington,  we  do  not  recommend that you try the general hunts; therefore, in the Huntin’ Fool® magazine, since we cover all of the western states from a non-resident perspective, we only cover the sheep, moose, and goat draw information in Washington.In Washington, when you apply as a non-resident for sheep, goat, or moose, you must purchase a $110.50 Special Hunt Permit Application for each species. You then submit the application,  and  if  you  are  lucky  enough  to  draw,  you purchase the $1,652 sheep, goat, or moose license. Hunters under the age of 16 at the time of application pay $3.80 for each application for moose, sheep, or goat, and if drawn, they then pay $57 for the tag. Washington manages their sheep, goat, and moose populations very conservatively, so hunters typically run extremely high success rates.Washington has different categories of permits for moose and  sheep,  such  as  65  years  and  over  permits,  youth permits,  disabled  permits,  master  hunter  permits,  and antlerless and ewe permits. Typically all of these permits are  for  female  animals  only.  Hunters  can  apply  for these permits in addition to the regular permits, so you may receive more than one sheep or moose permit in 1 year, just not two trophy permits. Check the regulations for  more  information  on  these  types  of  hunts.  All  of Washington’s  sheep,  goat,  and  moose  draw  permits  are allocated  through  the  draw  process  without  regard  to resident or non-resident hunter status; therefore, the draw odds are the same for residents and non-residents.In addition to Washington’s regular drawing, they also have a unique raffle permit drawing system for deer, elk, moose, Mountain goat, and sheep. The raffle tickets you purchase may  be  for  a  single  species  or  a  package  of  multiple species.  These  raffle  tickets  must  be  purchased  through Washington’s  license  vendors.  For  more  information on  these  raffle  packages,  species  available,  and  cost, consult  Washington’s  2014  Big  Game  Hunting  Seasons and  Regulations  booklet  or  go  to http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/permits/.Non-resident  hunters  looking  to  hunt  sheep,  goat,  or moose should look hard at Washington and decide if it’s one  of  the  states  they  should  apply  in.  It  costs  a  non-refundable  $110.50  per  application  for  moose,  goat, and sheep. That is a lot of money for a state with tough draw odds.The best piece of information in this whole state section is what Washington does for the youth. If you have kids that have their hunter education and are under 16 years old, then you should be applying them for moose, goat, and  sheep.  You  will  be  able  to  apply  a  kid  for  moose, goat,  and  sheep  for  $11.40  total  for  all  three!  That’s right, it is only $3.80 to apply a youth for sheep, goat, or  moose.  If  they  are  lucky  enough  to  draw  the  tag,  it will only cost $57. Thank you Washington for treating the youth right! The raffle tags are another way to go. Just remember that you cannot buy raffle tags online or over the phone. You must buy them at a vendor in Washington. Check out this year’s raffle packages on the WDFW website.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 05:19:43 AM »
Huntin fool has always told its hunters to stay away from Wa unless you are applying for a OIL permit. That is why they don't publish a magazine dealing with Wa application period for deer and elk.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
I can see non-resident youth applying, especially for OIL permits. Their cost is less than adult residents for both the application, and the tag if drawn.

I’ve always wondered that. So non res youth pay youth prices?
Groupie:                         Podcast:
RMEF                              Gritty
NRA                                Western bowhunter
SCI                                 The Hunt Backcountry
BHA                                MeatEater
SAB                                Hunt Talk Radio

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »

I’ve always wondered that. So non res youth pay youth prices?
Yes.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
I cannot stress this enough.  If you feel that you are "invested" into the washington draw system you need to slap yourself in the back of the head.  You paid for a chance to draw a tag, nothing more.  If you buy a losing scratch ticket do you get all worked up about it?  It's basically the same thing.  Odds on even the less desirable tags are extremely low so apply for the tags you want and dont stress about odds. For the price of a dinner date with the old lady you bought the chance to draw a hunt/hunts of a lifetime.  I dont much like our system but it's the one we are stuck with for now so embrace it for what it is, which is a small bit of added opportunity :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Eastside Rivers, Water Conditions by Sandberm
[Today at 11:38:33 AM]

Sell: 3 Damascus knives by Bulldozer77
[Today at 11:33:34 AM]

Opportunity for Increased Recreation by bigtex
[Today at 11:21:13 AM]

Huckleberry Spring Bear by Jpmiller
[Today at 11:18:21 AM]

4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose by bigtex
[Today at 11:17:26 AM]

WTS WTTSilver Stag knives exclusive editions by wrchinook
[Today at 11:11:44 AM]

Huge reduction of special permits by vandeman17
[Today at 11:00:20 AM]

WTB Canoe by h20hunter
[Today at 10:53:47 AM]

2019 Turkeys: Post them here by ljsommer
[Today at 10:51:58 AM]

First turkey hunt trip report (fun!) by Machias
[Today at 10:00:52 AM]

Norway pass elk hunt by blacktailWA
[Today at 09:56:30 AM]

Camo Spring Clean out by pianoman9701
[Today at 09:23:53 AM]

Mystery Ranch Cabinet in Subalpine by baker5150
[Today at 09:08:20 AM]

Ductless Air Conditioner by baker5150
[Today at 09:07:27 AM]

Would a change to permanent Daylight Savings Time mess up your hunting schedule? by hunterednate
[Today at 09:00:47 AM]

Hali 2019 by WSU
[Today at 08:52:03 AM]

2019 bears by DIYARCHERYJUNKIE
[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

2019 REGS PAMPHLET by wapiti22
[Today at 08:44:33 AM]

Charcuterie by Macs B
[Today at 08:39:10 AM]

First documented pack west of the Cascades. by Goshawk
[Today at 08:27:26 AM]