collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: If you were to build a year long fishing profile of what to fish for ...  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: If you were to build a year long fishing profile of what to fish for ...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
What the hell is a bass? 

There’s river fishing for salmon or steelhead 12 months a year.  Also, branch out into trolling and you’ll open more options!
A bass is a fish. A fish that doesn't require man made stocking programs and politicians to lobby on its behalf. It's a fish that doesn't require toll free hotlines and a lawyer to tell you if it's legal to be fished for. Its just a fish not some expensive science experiment like some other fish I know of. :IBCOOL:

A fish that requires a $70k boat, and twenty preset poles, only to kiss the ones you catch, and throw them back.
LOL

J/k

You should have seen the look on the faces of the bass fisherman at Loon Lake when I told them I was going to cook the 8lb 12oz large mouth I caught, totally by accident trolling for Kokanee for dinner!

Made for some fantastic fillets!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
What the hell is a bass? 

There’s river fishing for salmon or steelhead 12 months a year.  Also, branch out into trolling and you’ll open more options!
A bass is a fish. A fish that doesn't require man made stocking programs and politicians to lobby on its behalf. It's a fish that doesn't require toll free hotlines and a lawyer to tell you if it's legal to be fished for. Its just a fish not some expensive science experiment like some other fish I know of. :IBCOOL:

A fish that requires a $70k boat, and twenty preset poles, only to kiss the ones you catch, and throw them back.
LOL

J/k

You should have seen the look on the faces of the bass fisherman at Loon Lake when I told them I was going to cook the 8lb 12oz large mouth I caught, totally by accident trolling for Kokanee for dinner!

You forgot the glitter.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
What the hell is a bass? 

LOL

J/k

You forgot the glitter.

Please forgive me, I am not much of a bass fisherman
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
What the hell is a bass? 

LOL

J/k

You forgot the glitter.

Me neither. But I know enough to know you can’t have a $80k bass boat without tons of glitter.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
What the hell is a bass? 

LOL

J/k

You forgot the glitter.

Me neither. But I know enough to know you can’t have a $80k bass boat without tons of glitter.

All to catch and release the elusive ditch pickle.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Less glitter these days.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
Do bass fisherman not eat bass? I've eaten bass and I've never tried to catch one.  :dunno:

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
Guys who compete in tournaments typically don't eat them.

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »
Do bass fisherman not eat bass? I've eaten bass and I've never tried to catch one.  :dunno:

You can eat them but only out of the right water, they taste like their environment and that's typically nasty water for largies.

Smallmouth make decent fish and chips but again, needs to be the right water and like all of our fish anymore you gotta be careful about mercury levels etc..

I caught a tagged smallie on Whatcom one year and released it.  Caught the same fish the following year off the same piling and it was 3/4lbs bigger, pretty cool!

I haven't harvested a bass for about ten years now, too many other better tasting fish out there.

BTW, seen plenty of salmon sleds and bay boats that run WAY north of $70k, are they really neccessary?  Just sayin. We all have our splurges.
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
If your just a straight up angler...tons of options!!

If you're an addict like myself it gets real easy.... January 1st to December 31st = BASS!!!  :chuckle:
:yeah:
People have gotten so good at catching bass all year round you could fill every opening in your fishing schedule with Bass. Don't be fooled by their warm water reputation the big ones get caught all the time in cooler weather. My biggest fish typically come in April and early November.

Your April is my March but both months rock for bass! :tup:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »

You can eat them but only out of the right water, they taste like their environment and that's typically nasty water for largies.

Smallmouth make decent fish and chips but again, needs to be the right water and like all of our fish anymore you gotta be careful about mercury levels etc..

I caught a tagged smallie on Whatcom one year and released it.  Caught the same fish the following year off the same piling and it was 3/4lbs bigger, pretty cool!

I haven't harvested a bass for about ten years now, too many other better tasting fish out there.

BTW, seen plenty of salmon sleds and bay boats that run WAY north of $70k, are they really neccessary?  Just sayin. We all have our splurges.

Of course they are necessary!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »

Yes. Most, if not all I fish with do. We fish out of $200 jon boats, from shore, innertubes, $30K boats,  and $75K boats. Won thousands in tourney money, yet still enjoy a meal or two a year of 10-11" bass out of abundant waters. Nobody I fish with or ever have, tourney fisherman or not, would keep a couple pound bass and up to eat. Those are the fish that make more fish for future generations to enjoy. Same with a big rainbow out of a lake. One meal isn't worth the excitement the next guy gets to hook into that fish. Just my thoughts......

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
I've never had a bad tasting bass....

My annual schedule would be (I pretty much only target salt up north any more but would like to hit a few freshwater spots)

Jan, Feb - Steelhead or Blackmouth, like to try Burbot and walleye on the east side
March, April would be Westport bottomfish, if I had a trailer, would love to get into some of those Halibut that are so readily available according to some
May, June - Spot Prawns, Lingcod, Cabezon, I'd target smallmouth and largemouth end of May early June if I needed a change of pace or went turkey hunting on the eastside, some good salmon end of June on the coast
July, August - Crab and salmon, Cabezon
September is deer season, but salmon and Cabezon when on the water
Rest of year is fishing whatever is available

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
Throw in squid jigging in November to January.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »
Salmon fish puget sound April-Aug
Salmon fish rivers Sept-Oct

Little hunting Nov-Dec

Jan-Mar bored crazy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX