collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: MOOSE TAGS CUT  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: MOOSE TAGS CUT
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 09:07:32 AM »
MOOSE TAGS CUT

https://www.ehuntr.com/moose-tags-cut/?fbclid=IwAR3HtYSr7sNQ6CCjobum_nGRuq0gL2_aNRvGRN--MfVIm8zhZZf00FLvqYg

The good side is; average winner points is dropping.   :tup: :dunno:  Bad side;  number of applicants increasing.   :'( :bash:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
Our state doesn’t care. They are raising tags in a few units. Absolute stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All i saw was a decrease in 117 and an increase in 121
Why would you raise tags at all knowing that the population is in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:25 AM »
I wouldnt

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
We did find a calf skeleton on my hunt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
Now they’ll blame the winter, whereas it was really only a week long and the moose could care less about a little snow.   Anything to point a finger at something than the elephant in the room. 

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »
Speaking of ticks I hope we have a cold snap to kill them off they are getting to be a lot here in Wa
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/moose-populations-the-thick-and-thin-of-it/412741063/

Oh look, another article.....

Two different moose stories have made headlines in Minnesota in recent months.

One story tells of a long, ongoing moose decline in northern Minnesota. Since 2006, the state’s moose population has plummeted by more than 55 percent, according to surveys by the Department of Natural Resources. State moose researchers say the odds of reversing the downward trend aren’t good.

The other moose story is quite different. It tells of a moose population explosion. Surveys indicate the moose herd in question has been increasing by a whopping 19 percent a year. Plus, the survival rate of calf moose is extremely high, perhaps the highest ever recorded, researchers say.

Two moose stories; two different realities and … only 20 miles apart.

While Minnesota moose are slowly disappearing, the moose on Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior — a mere 20 miles off Minnesota’s North Shore — are approaching historic highs, according to 2016 surveys.

Hey, you can’t make this stuff up.

So what is causing Minnesota’s moose numbers to plummet while the island moose count soars?

DNR wildlife researchers have been seeking the answers to Minnesota’s moose problems for decades. What is known is that Minnesota’s moose are dying for a variety of reasons. Of more importance, is there anything to be done to eliminate or reduce these mortality factors to save Minnesota’s moose?

It depends on who is asked.

If you asked many Minnesota deer hunters and others who spend time in the North Woods, the answer would be: “Get rid of some wolves.”

DNR wildlife researchers typically scoff at such theories, correctly noting that moose and wolves have coexisted for a long time. Even as the state’s moose count continued to decline, DNR officials were reluctant to even suggest that the high density of wolves in the state could be a leading moose problem.

In 2009, a state Moose Advisory Committee report — after reviewing a range of moose topics — came to the conclusion that stress from global warming may be the primary reason for the decline, along with other causes of mortality, such as winter ticks, poor nutrition (a habitat issue) and a parasitic brainworm (carried by whitetail deer). The 45-page report made no mention of wolf or bear predation.

In January 2016, DNR moose researchers announced they were on the brink of discovering what is killing Minnesota’s moose. The suspects: poor health and increased predation. Using radio-collared moose, researchers investigated 47 moose fatalities and found that roughly 66 percent died of illnesses, such as brain worms, winter ticks, bacterial infections, liver flukes and severe malnutrition.

The other adult moose (33 percent) were killed by wolves, the DNR said, adding that one-third of the wolf kills possibly can be attributed to those moose already weakened by illnesses and vulnerable to wolf attacks. In a DNR study of moose calf mortalities, researchers tracking radio-collared moose calves found that 67 percent of them had been killed by wolves.

In a 2014 Star Tribune news story, renowned wolf researcher Dave Mech said he thinks wolves are playing a bigger role in the decline of northeast Minnesota moose than originally believed. He also discounted the idea that climate change was a major cause of moose mortality.

Nevertheless, DNR moose researchers last year contended that more study is needed, saying it could take another six years before the DNR had enough “data to determine long-term mortality trends and causes.”

Meanwhile, the moose decline shows no signs of stopping.

Minnesota’s moose population has plunged roughly 60 percent, from more than 8,000 animals in 2006 to fewer than 3,500 in 2015. Moose hunting was halted in 2013 by the DNR. Last fall, three Minnesota Chippewa Indian tribes, citing 1854 treaty rights, renewed their off-reservation hunting season for bull moose only.

So what explains the moose population explosion happening not far away on Isle Royale?

It’s a much simpler story. It’s the wolves. They’re almost gone. At last count, two wolves remain on Isle Royale, down from an average of about 25.

This is a classic predator-prey plot to the extreme. For nearly a half century, moose and wolves have had a teeter-totter relationship documented by wildlife scientists on Isle Royale since 1958.

Rather than a so-called balance of nature, researchers found a dynamic tension: When the moose declined due to excessive wolf predation, eventually the wolves themselves declined for lack of moose meat; with fewer wolves hunting on the island, the moose population bounced back, after which wolves slowly increased as well. Such is the game of predator-prey.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
From states without wolves-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bangordailynews.com/2018/10/24/outdoors/bloodthirsty-ticks-are-hitting-new-englands-moose-population-hard/%3famp

https://www.nhpr.org/post/nhs-moose-population-decimated-winter-ticks-0#stream/0

The elephant in the room in this case is a puny insect, Dermacetor albipictus...the winter tick.
It's killing all of the calves before winter even starts?

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 06:31:58 PM »
This is totally unscientific but I think/hope that the saving grace for moose is that calves born in less rural areas have a recruitment rate that is high. Furthermore I think/hope that as those calves mature that they repopulate the nearby areas.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bangordailynews.com/2018/10/24/outdoors/bloodthirsty-ticks-are-hitting-new-englands-moose-population-hard/%3famp

https://www.nhpr.org/post/nhs-moose-population-decimated-winter-ticks-0#stream/0

The elephant in the room in this case is a puny insect, Dermacetor albipictus...the winter tick.

No, but it's the same pro-wolf stance he takes in nearly every thread. Anybody who pays much attention to our moose decline (and there's a bunch), realize the ticks are a big issue too.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »

No, but it's the same pro-wolf stance he takes in nearly every thread. Anybody who pays much attention to our moose decline (and there's a bunch), realize the ticks are a big issue too.
I agree. They are a big issue. But not the only issue.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »

How is that a pro-wolf stance, pointing out a clear cause of declines in many moose populations across North America?  The way some of you guys throw these labels around its like if you don't start your post with a 9 paragraph preamble about how horrible wolves are and how every societal problem known to man is caused by wolves...that makes you "pro-wolf"...whatever the hell that means. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »

How is that a pro-wolf stance, pointing out a clear cause of declines in many moose populations across North America?  The way some of you guys throw these labels around its like if you don't start your post with a 9 paragraph preamble about how horrible wolves are and how every societal problem known to man is caused by wolves...that makes you "pro-wolf"...whatever the hell that means.

.....  but I didn't do that. Not even close. Sorry if I struck a nerve with both you "Pro-wolf Gov't paid Bio's"  :ACRY:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]