collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trapping exam  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
Trapping exam
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
I’ve got a few bobcats patterned but have yet to call one in so I’m heading to Spokane to challenge the trapping exam next week. Only issue I see is the “book” is so limited and empty. Is the test really that basic? I took the online classes that other states offer and Illinois has a really good one with videos and covers everything. Has tutorials for dying traps and skinning etc. Really liked theirs. Anything else I should be studying before taking this exam though? I’ve got the trapping laws almost memorized too to where I can recite the page.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
Re: Trapping exam
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
And any suggestion on which trap to get for a bobcat would be great. Found a few online but I don’t wanna spend my money on one that’s junk after a season.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »
Comstocks are $ but I prefer cages with triggers not pans camtrips are good too
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:17:45 AM by JakeLand »

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
The manual is not really made to teach you how to trap. It is written to teach you the laws and a bit of ethics so you get along with other outdoorsman. Being only able to use cages that limits the trouble you can get in so simplifies what has to be taught. If you studied the manual and know the laws you will do fine.
NAFA has some very good videos out on fur handling and some recommendations on fur handling pinned to near the top of the trapping page.

As far as what trap I am biased towards the ones I make and sell but I feel I should not abuse my position by giving a sales talk on them here. Happy to discuss it privately if you wish. The others Jake mentioned are good traps.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Buck457

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Freedivers
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
The traps that Humptulips makes are the bees knees! They are reasonably priced, light weight (in comparison to other traps) and tough. The doors are powered going from inside closing outwardly (less chance of debris from stopping them from closing), but the main reason I really like these Vandervort swim through traps, is they are collapsible. I can fit 5 of them in the trunk of my car and it makes them a lot easier to pack them into areas that are not vehicle accessible.
I know you said you wouldn't give a sales pitch Bruce, but I hope you don't mind that I do it instead. :tup:
With greatness comes great sacrifice.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:05:16 PM »
Bruce’s traps are nice and versatile to! I have a set of cam trips that I like as well, the nestling feature is great.
Go hawks

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:12:45 PM »
The traps that Humptulips makes are the bees knees! They are reasonably priced, light weight (in comparison to other traps) and tough. The doors are powered going from inside closing outwardly (less chance of debris from stopping them from closing), but the main reason I really like these Vandervort swim through traps, is they are collapsible. I can fit 5 of them in the trunk of my car and it makes them a lot easier to pack them into areas that are not vehicle accessible.
I know you said you wouldn't give a sales pitch Bruce, but I hope you don't mind that I do it instead. :tup:
What are the prices of his traps?is there a site a person could check out?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »

Bruce  :) and I  :) are both Instructors and I would say
As for the test ........... You'll do fine.  I be surprised  :o if you fail it  :o :o
JC   :hello:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 12:34:03 AM »
What are the prices of his traps?is there a site a person could check out?
I have no website. The one pictured is $200.
Currently I am all but sold out, 1 left. My plan is to make more in March but would like to concentrate on trapping right now. I do have a bunch of 11x11x32s in stock still, strictly a water trap.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal