collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ATV recommendations  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
ATV recommendations
« on: February 15, 2019, 11:32:21 PM »
I’ve been needing a quad to plow my 180ft steep gravel drive for a handful of years so I’m looking at getting one soon. Is there a brand/model I should stay away from?  I’m looking for something in the 400-500 size, 4wd with power steering and probably new.  I fully expect to plow downhill.....

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: ATV recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:04:19 AM »
I have a grizzly 350
does everything I need or want to do
As far as ATV plowing only good on light snow
good luck
I use a pallet on snow 5-6 inches deep,  towed behind and it "grooms" my road and knocks it down
I'm getting a snowblower for deeper wet stuff done with shoveling
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
I’ve been plowing several spots in town for at least 10 years. Started with a Honda 300 4x4, then a 300 2x4, then a Rancher 420, now a Suzuki Kingquad 750. This progression was because of my trail riding, not snow plowing needs.

Lack of power has never really been a problem with the 300s but traction is usually the culprit of not getting the snow moved the way I wanted it. To add to your list I would recommend diff lock, because it does make a difference sometimes, and my preference is now an automatic.

A couple tips when plowing snow. Try not to drive on the snow before you plow it, once the blade gets on top of a compacted tire track it will stay on that track and not cut down to the road surface. Next, push the snow as far to the side as you can.. because once you make a berm or pile, an atv plow is just not heavy enough to move it.  If possible cut down an old grader bit, or old bit off of a large plow to use as your plow bit. This adds a bunch of weight to the plow and it works much better.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »
I’ve been plowing several spots in town for at least 10 years. Started with a Honda 300 4x4, then a 300 2x4, then a Rancher 420, now a Suzuki Kingquad 750. This progression was because of my trail riding, not snow plowing needs.

Lack of power has never really been a problem with the 300s but traction is usually the culprit of not getting the snow moved the way I wanted it. To add to your list I would recommend diff lock, because it does make a difference sometimes, and my preference is now an automatic.

A couple tips when plowing snow. Try not to drive on the snow before you plow it, once the blade gets on top of a compacted tire track it will stay on that track and not cut down to the road surface. Next, push the snow as far to the side as you can.. because once you make a berm or pile, an atv plow is just not heavy enough to move it.  If possible cut down an old grader bit, or old bit off of a large plow to use as your plow bit. This adds a bunch of weight to the plow and it works much better.

Thanks for the tips. I have that same issue with the snowblower(going over compacted tire tracks)

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
I don't know if this helps but they sell chains for atv.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
You can move a lot of snow with an ATV and quickly!    I used a Grizzly 660 for years to plow snow and never chained it up, but I was running like new Bighorn 2.0 radials which worked very well in the snow!

The trick is to plow often and don't let it build up. 

The problem with ATV plowing is the roads will get narrower and narrower through the winter and you won't be able to push the berms back,  start wide!   If it's a deep year you might need to hire someone to push the berms back.   

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »
I’ve got a Grizzly 700 and a Honda Rancher 420. The plow is on the Honda. The only thing I don’t like about using the Honda is the transmission - but I’m gonna bypass the reverse button so I can shift without engaging.

Like people said, you might need to do a little planning if you’re going to be piling it. I plan ahead and have a little Kubota to move the snow if I need.

Chains can be handy, but I’ve rarely had to use them. Also, I’d switch from cable to synthetic or go with just enough to operate the plow as necessary. That much action in the plow you’re bound to gather slack. And get a good bump stop if you don’t already have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
 :yeah:

I went to walmart and got a 20 foot tow strap (yellow about 2 inches wide, $20) cut it in half and burnt the ends making two 10 foot straps with hooks on the ends.   

Then I put duct tape on the burnt end of one of the straps and fed it on to the drum of the winch (remove cable first) the strap tightens on itself and is good for 1000's of ups and downs on the plow where the cable would fray and break in about 50 ups and downs.   I never did ruin the one strap, but if I did I had a back up strap already to go with the other half of the tow strap 

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
You can move a lot of snow with an ATV and quickly!   
:yeah:

Been using a quad w/snow plow to move snow since 95 and it's amazing how fast and how much snow these things will move. 

If I had a long driveway to plow I'd probably look into getting one of the "state" design type plows where one side is taller than the other, much like they use on DOT plow trucks, instead of the conventional type where they are the same height on both sides.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
You can move a lot of snow with an ATV and quickly!    I used a Grizzly 660 for years to plow snow and never chained it up, but I was running like new Bighorn 2.0 radials which worked very well in the snow!

The trick is to plow often and don't let it build up. 

The problem with ATV plowing is the roads will get narrower and narrower through the winter and you won't be able to push the berms back,  start wide!   If it's a deep year you might need to hire someone to push the berms back.

That’s the idea; 10-15 minutes twice a day is better than 3 hours with the snow blower(if something doesn’t break)I’ll still have the snow blower to address the build up if needed but one side of the drive has a gully

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 03:12:46 PM »
The Kawasaki for sale for 3500 on here right now is a great deal and would work awesome for what you want to do.It's a 750 but cheap.  :tup:

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,236689.msg3162900/topicseen.html#new
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
Yhe Brute does look to be a good deal!  Any size engine should have low range and thus plenty of power to plow.  EPS steering is great to have as well imop but not needed.  If you don't trail ride I would look for used 300-500cc with real 4x4 not open front diffs like older Hondas and some other cheaper models.  Polaris has AWD and would do the job as well.  If used then any quality machine under $3500 is a good deal it seems.  If new maybe a Polaris 450 eps with plow included would be around $6k. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
Yeah my father in law has me talked into power steering

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »
Yeah my father in law has me talked into power steering

smart guy

My old grizz has left some nasty bruises on my thighs because I have a tendency to not watch where I'm going,  that front tire grabs a log and slams the handle bars all the way to one side then you pitch forward and make a bruise...of course I'm standing when I do it too, freaking hurts! 

I stand up a lot checking out game trails, glassing, scouting and such.   I'm not always sitting down riding.

The EPS would prevent the handle bars from slamming to one side when the front tire hits an obstacle.   For plowing it might ease the steering input some but I didn't find it difficult.   

Another main reason for the EPS is when you're in full diff lock, then it gets to be a handful!

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
Honda rancher 420. No belts to worry about. Or if you have the money jump
To a 500. I’m still plowing with a 98 Honda 300 4x4

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw