collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I need to buy down rigger gear--advice needed  (Read 4845 times)

Offline onmygame

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: I need to buy down rigger gear--advice needed
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
Just make sure you have electronics on board so you at least know how deep the water is where you're fishing.

It's also nice to have sonar that lets you see the depths that fish are hanging.

10 lb balls should be adequate for the sound unless you are fishing a crazy rip - and 4 lb balls are fine for lakes and smaller fish where there is no current IMO.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
The shape of the ball makes a big difference. Fish shaped ones will outperform ones of heavier weight that are round.

I use a 10lb fish and a 12lb streamlined "ball" with a fin that I made. I like the Scotty release clips best of several types I have tried. I have not tried new ones in a long time though.

I tried 15lb balls yesterday, they definitely dropped more straight down, but they were a bit of a strain on my old Cannons.

Skagit recycling had 15lb balls in their scrap lead bins about a week and a half ago.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 06:47:15 PM »
Skagit recycling had 15lb balls in their scrap lead bins about a week and a half ago.

Great tip, thanks.  I usually donate one to Davey Jones a year.  I didn't lose anything last year so I'm worried about this year.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »

Great tip, thanks.  I usually donate one to Davey Jones a year.  I didn't lose anything last year so I'm worried about this year.

It was $1.50/lb

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »
Lots of good advice on here, thank you guys. Electric down riggers are not on the table right now. I just need to fish some and see if this is for me before shelling out the $$. Although I would love an electric pot puller.

Keep the tips coming, looks like I've got a lot to learn. Gotta figure out rod/reel combos too. That seems to be an expensive black hole lol
I'm in the same "boat". Bought a boat last year, been buying pots , and bought some manual down riggers also. Need to figure how to mount these on my boat and then start figuring out all the gear etc. Feel free to share any tips you get with me!

I'm in Port Angeles if any of you salty guys are nearby let me know!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:43:05 PM »
Swivel bases are spendy but worth the money.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 07:16:59 AM »
someone said it earlier, but for rods..shimano TDR.
I have 2 medium action and 2 medium heavy action, depending on what we're chasing. for 29.99 each you wont be AS mad if someone steps on one or one breaks..AND you can keep a spare on the boat in case of an emergency (failure, broken, etc)
reels...pick your poison..if you're right hand retrieve, you got more options, left handed retrieve okuma has some good options for under 100 each.  get them at sportsmans and they'll spool them up with mono for you too.
half the time between a ball bearing swivel, flasher, and spoon or hoochie, the stuff on the end of my line costs more than my rod!
electronics make a huge difference, id opt for spending money there if you can. 
ALWAYS keep spare downrigger balls, terminal kits, and clips on the boat.. you will lose them  :sry:
looking at nets for salmon...get the longest handle one you can that you can maneuver in your boat, chinook aren't big fans of getting close to the boat.
if you have extendable booms on your riggers, the line retreivers are a great addition to pull the ball in without leaning way over the side of your boat.  keep some basic tools handy for field repairs on the downrigger as well.. nothing worse than going from 2 lines in the water to 1 due to equipment failure.
for downrigger balls i found a guy that makes his own and sells them for a LOT cheaper than the store..i forget the price on smaller ones, but 15 lbs for 25$ and i think 12 lb are 20 bucks each...let me know and i can put you in touch with him.

Offline Viking360

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
The scotty pot puller is awesome, I just bought one last year from Costco for $380.  They mount to your scotty base and use the same plug.  I like the scotty better than the other brands because its way more compact and easier to use.  Also a note on downriggers, if you get electrics I would recommend scotty sure stops, they make sure your ball stops at the same spot every time.  Cant tell you how many times I have had the normal stoppers slide down to the ball and have the ball come up and hit my boom, no good!

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:34 PM »
The scotty pot puller is awesome, I just bought one last year from Costco for $380.  They mount to your scotty base and use the same plug.  I like the scotty better than the other brands because its way more compact and easier to use.  Also a note on downriggers, if you get electrics I would recommend scotty sure stops, they make sure your ball stops at the same spot every time.  Cant tell you how many times I have had the normal stoppers slide down to the ball and have the ball come up and hit my boom, no good!

I have Cannon electric downriggers. Scotty pot puller, I spliced in a Cannon plug to it so it all matches.
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »

I have Cannon electric downriggers. Scotty pot puller, I spliced in a Cannon plug to it so it all matches.

I bought higher quality non-brand plugs for mine. It seemed that any brand name plug I used didn't last more than a year or maybe two. My puller is on a larger circuit, but has a similar plug, just larger.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
I use regular 120 V plugs.  I do use some electrical grease on them and it seems to be working fine for now.  I never saw the need to spend more on a marine downrigger plug that isn't as watertight and doesn't seem to offer any advantage.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »
Odell, i am in lacey, if you want to drive over i will show you beginning to end how to use them, how to rig up specific gear, and the ins and outs.

Offline MooseStock

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
Just thought I'd ask a question off of this topic....any of you downrigger guys know of any of the dealers that still do any type of a "tuneup" check and clean on Scotty's for a fee? Mine are not broken....got them when I bought my boat used 10 years ago so I am not the original owner. I have always done my own maintenance on them such as brake adjustment, changing wire and belts. I would just like someone really knowledgeable to go though and check them out and clean them up professionally. I know Sportco and others work on them for warranty but just wondering if anyone knows if any of the dealers that offer this type of service. I have read in the past that Johns in Everett did this....tried to contact them with no answer....Lots of great info on this site fishing wise as well as hunting......Thanks in advance.......Les

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
Not sure where you live but they do warranty work at Sportco in Fife.  Not sure where else.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »
Not sure where you live but they do warranty work at Sportco in Fife.  Not sure where else.
outdoor emporium up in seattle as well.
get them in NOW for quick turn around though...closer to summer, longer the wait.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]