collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toyota 4 runner vs Chevy Tahoe  (Read 9857 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Toyota 4 runner vs Chevy Tahoe
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:50 PM »
I have not owned the newer 4runners. The current one is a 99. We sold a 2012 Tahoe in the last year. Between the two I would go 4runner. Here is my breakdown......

Aside from 3rd row seating. There was nothing I used the Tahoe for, the 4 runner doesn't do better. Given the larger, more comfortable, and more powerful models you are discussing. Not sure it's even a comparison. If your going to tow, haul more than 5 with cargo, etc.... Step up to the suburban and don't consider the Tahoe. If planning on doing any aftermarket mods, the 4runner will really start to run away.

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
Im a pretty hardcore Toyota fan but the Tahoe is a better all around rig in my opinion.  My buddy has one with 330k and only has had to do a tranny at 240k and other minor things like altenator and water pump.  My other friend has a 1/2 ton chevy 99 with 5.3 and he has over 310k and hasn't done anything at all except a water pump but he does drive like a grandma and doesn't tow much.  The 4runner is a great truck but they are unrefined and small not what I would want for a family rig.  Toyota is kinda riding their old reputation I don't really feel they have anything over any of the newer vehicles from other brands.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
The room, power, luxeries and tow capacity are in favor of the tahoe.
Longevity, maneuverability in city, and handeling in snow, mud & bumps are on the 4runners side. Im looking for one with a locking diff.
If Im spending around $40k, Ide like to keep it around for a while & not have it be a money

Anyone know which one is better safety wise? I know the Tahoe has the size advantage, but what about crash rating, traction contril etc..?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

Anyone know which one is better safety wise? I know the Tahoe has the size advantage, but what about crash rating, traction contril etc..?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
Perfect, thanks!

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
Another vote for Toyota here. Depending on the age you are looking at, if you go with a 4th gen (2003-2009) try and hold out for the V8. Gas mileage difference is minimal and the extra get up and go is nice to have.

Offline builtfordtough

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »
I'm a Ford guy but my wife drives a 2009 Chevy Tahoe. I'll admit this rig is legit. Unstoppable in the snow. Tons of power. We have two children 7 and 5 and has a lot of storage. 

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 03:57:40 PM »
Another vote for Toyota here. Depending on the age you are looking at, if you go with a 4th gen (2003-2009) try and hold out for the V8. Gas mileage difference is minimal and the extra get up and go is nice to have.

2016 or newer. 4runner makes a v8?

Online Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »

Wish they still made a V8 4Runner! Or a V8 tacoma would be even cooler

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 07:28:04 PM »
Toyota will do everything and more ! My ‘11 Tacoma with the 4.0 liter with 280,000 miles on it still runs awesome! But doing maintenance is the key to anything I run the pass all winter long running a trapline and hunting snow,mud and it does it all . The only major thing I’ve had to replace were the hub assembly and they were done at 237,000 miles
Jake

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
They’ll do everything and more except tow anything. Or be as big as a Tahoe. Or have a 3rd row. Lots of things the Tahoe has over the 4 runner. All about what you need or want in a vehicle. Personally I think the best thing we ever settled in with a family vehicle is 3rd row seats. So handy to have and when you don’t need them, they fold flat and you never know you even have them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
I agree about third row seats. Our Durango had a third row, we could seat 5 comfortably with all our stuff with the seat down or 7 with the seat up.
Usually it was backseat down with dog in back.
I love our Murano, but I do miss the room of the Durango.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16:17 PM »
Tahoe.
Does everything the Toy can do and does it better.
More comfortable, more power, real towing capability.
Toyota is the most overrated car on the road.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Online Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:16 PM »
Tahoe.
Does everything the Toy can do and does it better.
More comfortable, more power, real towing capability.
Toyota is the most overrated car on the road.

Lol couldn’t be more from the truth. The most bulletproof bad ass ride on the road and can’t be beat.

Offline Spuddieselwwu

• Spuddieselwwu
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 12:52:40 AM »
My wife and I were hell bent on a 4Runner until we rented one on a trip to San Diego.  Too snug inside for 2 adults, 2 kids + dog + gear.  I'd go the Tahoe.  Nicer trim (IMO), more comfortable, more storage, better towing, more power.  We chose the GMC Acadia Denali w/ the bucket seat 2nd row & 3rd row fold downs, perfect for us.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal