collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help an Idaho newbie  (Read 8150 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
Help an Idaho newbie
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
And a hunting newbie, to boot! I have yet to find any sort of hunting success in any capacity but I am physically fit, hard-working, hard-studying and very driven.

That out of the way, I am hoping to do an OTC Elk/Deer hunt in 2020. I am approaching this one-step at a time, starting with dates.

1. Is 10 days suitable? Trying to balance PTO with dedicating sufficient time to the experience
2. What dates should I put down for my calendar and for planning purposes with friends?

Again, I am a new hunter (2 seasons in) and haven't ever hunted out of state so any advice would be great, but I do want to at least get started with ideal dates to take off work.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Help an Idaho newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »
Deer or Elk ? Bow or Rifle ?

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »

Both deer and elk (I believe theres season overlap) with a focus on elk, and rifle.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »

Both deer and elk (I believe theres season overlap) with a focus on elk, and rifle.
Yes, lots of areas have partial season overlap. 10 days is a fairly tight window to tag out on both, but it’s definitely possible.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »

Yes, lots of areas have partial season overlap. 10 days is a fairly tight window to tag out on both, but it’s definitely possible.

Thank you! I could probably push out to 14 days. What would be good dates to aim for? Opener? I am trying to drag my buddies along and I want to give them dates to work with =)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »
non res elk and deer tag will be pricey, especially since you will most likely eat one.
are you trying to concentrate on elk, with a chance opportunity at deer?  what are you wanting to hunt for, the experience, the meat, the trophy?
tagging out on both would be  a lot of work, and a lot of meat to process, deal with, and transport back.
In idaho, you can shoot a "lesser" animal with a tag..what that means is, you could just buy your OTC elk tag, and theoretically shoot a deer with it.
out of state license is 154, elk tag is 416, deer tag is another 300.
i would start by picking the area you'd like to hunt, and research seasons and tags.
most elk zones have limited non res OTC tags, and some sell out EXTREMELY fast.
with regards to time.. obviously more is better.
depending on how far you are traveling, what your camp situation is etc..figure at least 1 day to travel there, and 1 day to travel home, with camp set up and tear down.
if/when you shoot an elk, that can be an entire day if not more of work to find, pack out, and process. 
not trying to dissuade you at all, it's just good to be as realistic as possible, especially with hunting a new state, or even a new GMU within washington.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »
Tough love here but I wouldn't recommend somebody who hasn't killed a big game animal do this.

I'd reccomend a deer tag. Either plan mule deer in October or whitetail in November. Looking for the best OTC deer and elk unit will get you neither.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
are you trying to concentrate on elk, with a chance opportunity at deer? 
Yes, exactly. That was the plan. I have spent so much time hunting unsuccessfully that I figured the more tags in my pocket the better =)

what are you wanting to hunt for, the experience, the meat, the trophy?
You nailed it, in order of priorities: Fun/exotic (to me, a west-side Washingtonian) location and experience, meat, and lastly trophy.

In idaho, you can shoot a "lesser" animal with a tag..what that means is, you could just buy your OTC elk tag, and theoretically shoot a deer with it.
I didn't know that! Good info.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
Tough love here but I wouldn't recommend somebody who hasn't killed a big game animal do this.

I'd reccomend a deer tag. Either plan mule deer in October or whitetail in November. Looking for the best OTC deer and elk unit will get you neither.

Thank you for your input, but I am a new hunter (perhaps always will be "new"?) with no friends or family who hunt, so I am having to make my own way here. Half of these forums say "Get the hell out of Washington and hunt out of state if you want a better hunt experience/odds" so, here I am trying to figure it out.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
you gotta start somewhere for sure.
if you're looking at 2020...maybe the summer of 2019 is time for a road trip/camping/hiking trip to check out some areas.
idaho can be rugged...rugged country.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
you gotta start somewhere for sure.
if you're looking at 2020...maybe the summer of 2019 is time for a road trip/camping/hiking trip to check out some areas.
idaho can be rugged...rugged country.

I think that sounds like a great idea!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »
You aren’t allowed to shoot a deer with your elk tag. You can shoot a bear or cougar or wolf but NOT a deer.

To shoot a deer you will need a deer tag.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »

Thank you for your input, but I am a new hunter (perhaps always will be "new"?) with no friends or family who hunt, so I am having to make my own way here. Half of these forums say "Get the hell out of Washington and hunt out of state if you want a better hunt experience/odds" so, here I am trying to figure it out.

I was talking about Idaho
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 01:32:46 PM »

I was talking about Idaho

I understood what you meant, I was just saying that everytime I talk about the hard time I am having in WA half these forums tell me to stop hunting WA and to go elsewhere. So, here I am.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
non res elk and deer tag will be pricey, especially since you will most likely eat one.
are you trying to concentrate on elk, with a chance opportunity at deer?  what are you wanting to hunt for, the experience, the meat, the trophy?
tagging out on both would be  a lot of work, and a lot of meat to process, deal with, and transport back.
out of state license is 154, elk tag is 416, deer tag is another 300.
i would start by picking the area you'd like to hunt, and research seasons and tags.
most elk zones have limited non res OTC tags, and some sell out EXTREMELY fast.
with regards to time.. obviously more is better.
depending on how far you are traveling, what your camp situation is etc..figure at least 1 day to travel there, and 1 day to travel home, with camp set up and tear down.
if/when you shoot an elk, that can be an entire day if not more of work to find, pack out, and process. 
not trying to dissuade you at all, it's just good to be as realistic as possible, especially with hunting a new state, or even a new GMU within washington.
Rest this section on page 110 of the regs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]