collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie: How important are spotting scopes?  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Newbie: How important are spotting scopes?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
For $1,000, I would buy:

Vortex Talons (or whatever the equivalent now is), second choice would probably be Leuopold
Tripod
Tripod adapter
Alaska Guide Creations bino harness
Lens wipes, pens, rags, or whatever your favorite are

That should be about a $1,000 package.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Binos will always take precedence.

That being said, choose the power based on where you’re hunting. Some areas will be fine with 8x42s.  Some areas you need something much bigger. 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 02:15:07 PM »
 Quality binos first!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
This has been a GREAT thread with lots of very helpful and specific recommendations, thank you! I'll be checking out my bino options this week. Also Rainier: I am struggling with the boot situation, and I know I need to upgrade, but I have tried on so many super expensive boots and can't seem to find a pair that feel good.
I bought some Danner's a while back and they felt great in the store, and up to 5 miles, but past 5 miles they blister my heel without fail if I don't tape up. If I do tape up, they blister anyway at 10 miles. I don't know how to test for that without just buying pairs of boots from a place with an amazing return policy.
Does REI let you test out boots like that?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 02:34:37 PM »
lj, REI has an excellent return policy.  I'm not a fan of that particular store, but, their return policy is over the top.  I have a hunting buddy who has bought boots and other items from them and returned them after a full hunting season as he didn't like them  :rolleyes:.  Back on topic, BOOTS!  I have quite an assortment of hunting boots including the top crust Zamberlans.  I will tell you that I bought a pair of the Solomon 4D 3 GTX last fall and wore them the entire season (well seasons) in both backcountry hunts in an Idaho wilderness area and for my Washington hunts.  They are by far some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned!  They are to date, still waterproof after some pretty good creek dousing in ID and a bit of wet weather hunting in WA.   And, the price won't knock you down either.  Give them a look if you get a minute. 

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4d-3-gtxr.html#1191=9861
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 02:36:24 PM »
lj, REI has an excellent return policy.  I'm not a fan of that particular store, but, their return policy is over the top.  I have a hunting buddy who has bought boots and other items from them and returned them after a full hunting season as he didn't like them  :rolleyes:.  Back on topic, BOOTS!  I have quite an assortment of hunting boots including the top crust Zamberlans.  I will tell you that I bought a pair of the Solomon 4D 3 GTX last fall and wore them the entire season (well seasons) in both backcountry hunts in an Idaho wilderness area and for my Washington hunts.  They are by far some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned!  And, the price won't knock you down either.  Give them a look if you get a minute. 

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4d-3-gtxr.html#1191=9861

Ahh! That's cool, I have two pairs of Solomon 3d shoes already and I used one of those pairs on my first hunting season. They're very comfortable on long mileage trips! I'll give those a try. Thanks!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »
This has been a GREAT thread with lots of very helpful and specific recommendations, thank you! I'll be checking out my bino options this week. Also Rainier: I am struggling with the boot situation, and I know I need to upgrade, but I have tried on so many super expensive boots and can't seem to find a pair that feel good.
I bought some Danner's a while back and they felt great in the store, and up to 5 miles, but past 5 miles they blister my heel without fail if I don't tape up. If I do tape up, they blister anyway at 10 miles. I don't know how to test for that without just buying pairs of boots from a place with an amazing return policy.
Does REI let you test out boots like that?
I hear ya.  It took me a few pair to get to what works for me.  I went from Rocky, to Wolverine, to Danner and stopped at Irish Setter elk hunters 200 or 400 insulate.  I use foot powder on my feet, then liner socks(thin socks, kind of silky) and then my merino socks over that.  Foot powder in the boot and am I am good to go.  In september I pack an extra pair of socks with me and swap out at lunch if I am really getting after it.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »
Anyone have specific recommendations (including model) on tripods? I am actually really willing to spend here because I've had a few tripods over the years for camera work and the weight can be REALLY obnoxious over time. Balancing weight and stability is a tough thing.

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
SLIK makes some nice and light tripods.

SR1

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »
Try the double sock technique before you ditch your old boots.  What you are looking for is sometimes referred to as a liner sock. Also consider lacing techniques whereby you tie off the laces lower on the boot, say just above your ankle, with an overhand knot, thereby locking your heel into the heel pocket. 

I am not saying you don't need new boots.  But if you have not tried these things, you might not get any satisfaction from a newer boot.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
I’d go with binoculars over a spotting scope any day. 10x42’s. If you’re looking for bang for the buck binoculars I’d look really hard at the Maven C1’s. Don’t think you can go wrong for the $$. Really great reviews online. I have a pair of them and am totally happy.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:42 PM »
Try the double sock technique before you ditch your old boots.  What you are looking for is sometimes referred to as a liner sock. Also consider lacing techniques whereby you tie off the laces lower on the boot, say just above your ankle, with an overhand knot, thereby locking your heel into the heel pocket. 

I am not saying you don't need new boots.  But if you have not tried these things, you might not get any satisfaction from a newer boot.

Off topic but don't overlook anti-perspirant on your feet if using insulated boots.  Sweaty socks get cold. 

Offline dmoua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »
Find a Vortex dealer and you can purchase a Vortex Razor HD 10x50 or 10x42 under $1000. Or look on eBay. Both are better options than the Razor HD spotting scope 11-33x50.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 06:14:20 AM »
Your Danners might be fine. Do you condition your feet at all with them before heading off into the woods.   You cant just throw them on once or twice a year and ground pound.
just a thought that might save you some coin....

I don't do a spotting scope.   I have one, but its rarely put to work.  When I would use it, I dont want to pack it.   Best binos you can get.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 06:29:56 AM »
Your Danners might be fine. Do you condition your feet at all with them before heading off into the woods.   You cant just throw them on once or twice a year and ground pound.

I have never worn sock liners so I bought some and will give those a try. I do a ton of scouting year round, ("scouting" sometimes just means going into the woods with my dog and a cigar and putting in a bunch of miles) so I think I do an ok job. I also sometimes just throw on my boots and wear them around the house all day as I work outside, etc.

I am going to give these sock liners a try, I am hopeful for those! If those don't work I'll consider a new pair of boots.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal