collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hike in tree stand for black tail?  (Read 7663 times)

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
Re: Hike in tree stand for black tail?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
most of the time if your BT hunting you know where you are going to put one up either because its a specific peice of property, or because you have lots of camera shots. I normally scout and or find/limb trees this time of year for my hunting spots.
very true! I'm more worried about leaving it out and have it get stolen. That's why I was hoping for lightweight.
I dont hang my stands where I expect a lot of foot traffic.  I also pull my climbing sticks everytime I leave, unless Im coming back the next day.  You could also lock the stand up with a chain if ur worried about theft.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »
been chasing whitetails for over 30 years and stand hunting and you couldnt pay me to use a climber. Look at aluminum if you are worried about weight.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 05:03:59 AM »
What would you use then if not a climber when away from the road
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:50 AM »
hang on.  I ve packed stands 2 mi before. Smaller stands, good cushion and aluminum ladder steps and small folding saw. I can put a stand up in 15 min

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
I have 2 Lone Wolf hang ons and the ladder step sections.  Same thing, I can find a spot and be sitting in my stand in probably 15 or 20 minutes and most of the time I will be a lot quieter with my hang ons than my climber....but I must say the lone Wolf Climber is pretty quiet compared to the early climbers I used.  I felt the same way as huntnnw, the early climbers...I would not go up in one for nothing!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »
I have 2 Lone Wolf hang ons and the ladder step sections.  Same thing, I can find a spot and be sitting in my stand in probably 15 or 20 minutes and most of the time I will be a lot quieter with my hang ons than my climber....but I must say the lone Wolf Climber is pretty quiet compared to the early climbers I used.  I felt the same way as huntnnw, the early climbers...I would not go up in one for nothing!

Even my Summit Viper climber, which is supposedly one of the better ones, is a bit weird to climb in. My 10-year-old son dropped the bottom part while trying it out, and I had to bring out a ladder to help him down: he was only about 8 feet up, and had a harness on, of course, but still a weird feeling. And I've had mine slip on me while climbing: just a bit, but enough that it doesn't exactly leave me with that feeling of "Yeah, I'm 20 feet up, but I'm safe". I don't think I would ever let my kids use it, and if I'm on it, I want somebody to know exactly where I am. Don't wanna end up like this guy.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/oregon-hunter-in-critical-condition-after-hanging-upside-down-from-tree-stand-for-two-days
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline Parasite

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »
Smithkl42, get some stablizer straps from third hand Archery. Problem solved.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
 :yeah:  Easy fix, no reason for that to ever happen.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
biggest issues with climbers is the fact you gotta take them down everytime you hunt. Mature animals are very keen on human presence. Alot of my stand sites are scouted long before hand and hung in the summer so they are ready come hunting season to slip in and out when hunting. Another huge issue for me and is not acceptable is with a climber there are no limbs going up which basically leaves you naked sitting in a tree. I look for firs first then pines to tuck myself in bigger the limbs and deeper into the tree u become almost invisible to deer with the heavy shadowing the limbs create . Some of my best stands are in fir trees and I can almost stand up and down with deer 30 yards away thet cannot see me

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
biggest issues with climbers is the fact you gotta take them down everytime you hunt. Mature animals are very keen on human presence. Alot of my stand sites are scouted long before hand and hung in the summer so they are ready come hunting season to slip in and out when hunting. Another huge issue for me and is not acceptable is with a climber there are no limbs going up which basically leaves you naked sitting in a tree. I look for firs first then pines to tuck myself in bigger the limbs and deeper into the tree u become almost invisible to deer with the heavy shadowing the limbs create . Some of my best stands are in fir trees and I can almost stand up and down with deer 30 yards away thet cannot see me
This sounds like good advice!

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »

Hopefully you have the safety rope linking the top and bottom parts of the climber connected? Ideal length of that rope should be about the distance of each “climbing step.” Without it, one could find themselves in serious trouble.

Tip #10: https://www.summitstands.com/summit-journal/10-tree-stand-safety-tips/

Even my Summit Viper climber, which is supposedly one of the better ones, is a bit weird to climb in. My 10-year-old son dropped the bottom part while trying it out, and I had to bring out a ladder to help him down: he was only about 8 feet up, and had a harness on, of course, but still a weird feeling. And I've had mine slip on me while climbing: just a bit, but enough that it doesn't exactly leave me with that feeling of "Yeah, I'm 20 feet up, but I'm safe". I don't think I would ever let my kids use it, and if I'm on it, I want somebody to know exactly where I am. Don't wanna end up like this guy.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/oregon-hunter-in-critical-condition-after-hanging-upside-down-from-tree-stand-for-two-days
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »
I looked at the video. I guess technology is still a ways away where you sit in the stand, push a button and the climber does the rest.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Still looking for a hang on stand . The search continues....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]