collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Elk Mountain vs. You!  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: The Elk Mountain vs. You!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
Cardio and muscles were fine. My knees hurt bad and didn’t stop hurting completely for a few months. Not sure what do about that.

There are supplements that could really help you.  I think these are the best, but wow, they are proud of them.
https://originmaine.com/origin-usa/nutrition/jocko/health/jocko-joint-warfare/

When I ramp my training up again here soon, I'm going to try to replicate that as close as I can if I run into joint issues which is a high probability.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
Between 5 g and 15 g depending on the workload. Im a fat kid without a lot of workout knowledge so someone on here should be able to say how much is desirable.

honestly, BCAA have been proven by multiple studies to have zero benefit to a person who eats even a remotely well balanced diet. If it were me, and I do it during early archery, I would get something that replaces electrolytes. I like it for that reason and also the flavor is a nice change from just water all the time.

Vande is right, if you get adequate protein you will get your BCAAs from that.  If you don't get adequate protein or during more extreme physical events, it can help with muscle damage and soreness.  I usually only took them when I was doing some really crazy stuff and I would mix them with whey, creatine and beta alanine and pound that during and especially after really long stuff, like 12 hours or more.  The last two were more for performance than health and I wouldn't bother in a hunting scenario.

It certainly isn't going to hurt and you can get enough from beef or chicken, but sometimes its easier to pound a shake than a steak.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
Bring on the uphill but the downhill kills my feet and my right knee. Hopefully they get some relief if I shed some pounds. I have always been a little heavy but stay real active. That might be catching up to me and my lower body.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »
Personally this year was great to me. Felt better in the mountains then I have in years passed. Started in the spring scouting with a fully loaded pack and doing 10+ mile hikes until bear season opened then did a couple over nighters in the cascades. Kept packing through archery deer and elk , then into Idaho. Going to start searching for sheds pretty soon and see if I can roll it over into this year.

Joints and breathing were better then ever.
Dilligaf

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
If it hurts going downhill it's most likely a worn out or damaged meniscus in your knee

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
Bring on the uphill but the downhill kills my feet and my right knee. Hopefully they get some relief if I shed some pounds. I have always been a little heavy but stay real active. That might be catching up to me and my lower body.

Have you tried using poles?  They make a huge difference downhill for me.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »

Have you tried using poles?  They make a huge difference downhill for me.
No. I need to try that.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »
I'll add another one to the knees hurt column plus I have this rod in my leg bone that starts aching. The elk flats seem to get more of my attention anymore then the elk mountain.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline BetoBow

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:18 AM »
Our season took us to Idaho for our the first time. We hiked in 8 miles into the wilderness and got into a herd in the opposite ridge. We glassed them for a day, but ultimately decided it was to far if we managed to bring one down and pulled out. I battle with myself everyday if that was the right choice. I am pushing myself everyday to eat healthy and go to gym 5 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »
Our season took us to Idaho for our the first time. We hiked in 8 miles into the wilderness and got into a herd in the opposite ridge. We glassed them for a day, but ultimately decided it was to far if we managed to bring one down and pulled out. I battle with myself everyday if that was the right choice. I am pushing myself everyday to eat healthy and go to gym 5 days a week.

Unless you had enough guys to do it in one trip, you made the rite call. 

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
Cardio and muscles were fine. My knees hurt bad and didn’t stop hurting completely for a few months. Not sure what do about that.

There are supplements that could really help you.  I think these are the best, but wow, they are proud of them.

When I ramp my training up again here soon, I'm going to try to replicate that as close as I can if I run into joint issues which is a high probability.

i would wonder if the patella strap runners use would help you? may be worth trying? i have a bad ankle (past surgery) and downhill all day kills me... I'm going with a very stiff boot this year and see if that helps
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »

i would wonder if the patella strap runners use would help you? may be worth trying? i have a bad ankle (past surgery) and downhill all day kills me... I'm going with a very stiff boot this year and see if that helps

No, for me it's joint pain from overuse.  It isn't a big deal and if I stay on the supplements it is fine.  It isn't an injury or anything like that.

Offline BetoBow

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »

It was just me in my brother in law and being an archery hunt temps did not dip too low

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »

It was just me in my brother in law and being an archery hunt temps did not dip too low

The temp is what would worry me.  16+ miles roundtrip isn't a picnic by any stretch, but it is only a matter of time and sweat to get it all out.  If it was too warm for the meat to stay for 2-3 days or a dense bear area, I would have done the same thing.

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »
First few days were rough until my mountain legs came back. 50mi and 14k elevation over a week in the blues. By the end it was only my lungs holding me back. Need to work on that for this fall.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal