collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colorado preference point cost  (Read 4556 times)

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Colorado preference point cost
« on: February 22, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
Anybody else bailing out of the Colorado point game with the new qualifying license requirements pushing deer point cost over $130 bucks a year? We will be trying to cash our 9 pts & get out for good this year.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Colorado preference point cost
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
Good! I hope everyone quits.  :chuckle:

FYI it isn’t $130 for it it’s the small game license, habitat stamp and then $9 for the deer app. No preference point fee this year. Except moose sheep goat.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:10:56 PM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
It’s still $90 bucks. So basically 100% increase to chaise your tail since there 10’s of thousands that got in the game last year. The avg guy will get priced out of hunting out of state in the next 10 years. It’s already become pick your poison for most & Colorado is not mine. For now I can build 2 species in Wyoming for the cost of Colorado’s one. Good luck to everyone else that’s at the bottom looking up. That’s a lot of money spent just to get into position to draw a tag.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »
1.  Legislature cuts budget
2.  Game agencies raise non-resident prices (except in WA where they have to raise resident because NR hunting here is incredibly poor)
3.  We gripe, then pay it.
4.  Back to step 1.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
I couldn’t imagine having 9 deer points in co personally. I like to hunt too much for that.   :chuckle:

I won’t be going this year but will get my points.

Hopefully lots of people drop out because of it. Ideally I’d rather them go back to how it was before, front the tag fee.

It’s pretty close to the same cost for deer and elk points in co and wyo.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
9 pts in Colorado? Just waiting for the right time or what?
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
No we applied before & got screwed by point creep & have been doing other hunts in other states since then.

You can acquire a point for elk,deer& antelope in Wyoming for $124 so not even in the same ballpark unless Colorado gives you a point in all 3 for the price of a small game license?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
No we applied before & got screwed by point creep & have been doing other hunts in other states since then.

You can acquire a point for elk,deer& antelope in Wyoming for $124 so not even in the same ballpark unless Colorado gives you a point in all 3 for the price of a small game license?
It’s a small game license plus a habitat stamp plus $9 each for deer elk and antelope. So $120 ish...

Wyoming also added a transaction fee this year too. I don’t know how much it is though

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
The points game is out of hand :(

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 07:35:09 PM »
Hopefully we see a lot of guys start dumping pts and getting out of CO.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 07:58:00 PM »
If you actually apply and buy points Colorado is way cheaper than Wyoming. Wyoming is the most expensive state to apply and gain points for all species. Its over $800 non refundable a year.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
It’s still $90 bucks. So basically 100% increase to chaise your tail since there 10’s of thousands that got in the game last year. The avg guy will get priced out of hunting out of state in the next 10 years. It’s already become pick your poison for most & Colorado is not mine. For now I can build 2 species in Wyoming for the cost of Colorado’s one. Good luck to everyone else that’s at the bottom looking up. That’s a lot of money spent just to get into position to draw a tag.

Good luck with that WY strategy, that ship recently sailed.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 08:36:06 PM »
We will see. I have a buddy in Wyoming so that carries weight in my decision on where to spend my money & hunt. Colorado has changed the way to apply many times since I started with points & I think they implement the species point fees back on next year. Maybe I’ll change my opinion after we go hunt this year but I doubt it.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »

It’s a small game license plus a habitat stamp plus $9 each for deer elk and antelope. So $120 ish...

Wyoming also added a transaction fee this year too. I don’t know how much it is though
2.5% CC fee.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:41 AM »

I think a lot of  will back out this year. I had a few buddies that applied thinking it was only going to cost the 10$ for the conservation license and the 3$ or whatever it was for the applications. They didn't realize that they were charged for the bonus point later and freaked out about it  :chuckle:. None of those 3 guys are applying this year.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
If you actually apply and buy points Colorado is way cheaper than Wyoming. Wyoming is the most expensive state to apply and gain points for all species. Its over $800 non refundable a year.

wyoming is $125 bucks to gain all points and if you apply, your front the money and are refunded if you don't draw. I know this first hand because my refund just hit my account friday
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »

I think a lot of  will back out this year. I had a few buddies that applied thinking it was only going to cost the 10$ for the conservation license and the 3$ or whatever it was for the applications. They didn't realize that they were charged for the bonus point later and freaked out about it  :chuckle:. None of those 3 guys are applying this year.

I forgot that’s how it worked last year. Do they charge the $40 deer point fee after the fact (qualifying license & fees) this year also?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
No point fee this year for deer, elk, or antelope in Colorado. As has been posted in this very thread.  :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »
CO is hands down the best mule deer state in North America.  9 points is insanity.  My goal is to hunt there every year and never have any points :chuckle: it doesnt cost more than WY to apply and hopefully this new license requirement nukes a lot of the freeloaders who tried to get in for cheap last year. Buy more tags and less points folks  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarification & insults guys.👍🏻 :chuckle:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification & insults guys.👍🏻 :chuckle:
:chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
 :chuckle: no insults man just get to hunting!!!!!  You have no idea how amazing of a mule deer hunt you can have with 9pts! Early high hunt, 3rd season, or 4th! If you aren't chasing mule deer this fall though.....then there will definitely be some insults flying your way :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
Got my 75 year old father in law involved in this trip, a bout with cancer,point creep & other trips have led us to sitting at 9 points. We are going hunting this fall so we will see how it pans out.🤷‍♂️ Could have we picked a unit & drawn along the way? Ya but I know 3 guys that hunted a 3 pt 3rd season unit last year & it sucked. I know every unit in Colorado has a big deer in it but not all units & hunts are “good” especially when you have 0 knowledge of the area. It is what it is now & we will give it our best effort to make it a great trip. Not against pay to play but 100% increase & supposed to act like you got something in a small game license is ridiculous & insulting.

My son & I hunted Wyoming last year, me on a antelope tag & him on a H muley tag. I harvested an 80 6/8 goat & he took a 180 2/8 buck. Thinkin Wyoming was worth the money invested & we will see on Colorado. If nothing else we will have a good time that you can’t put a price on.😎

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
Better a small game license than a $140+ big game license like NV, AZ, ID, or NM.  I hunt CO every single year for close to a decade and if I was a betting man I'd say it wasnt the units fault your friend had a bad hunt :twocents:

Also we are gonna need to see that goat and 180 :drool:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »

:yeah:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »

Also as a bonus the small game license means we can now shoot a fox in co! Those little suckers are so cool!  :chuckle:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Opdink tried sending you a pm, inbox is full

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
A guy can only be a resident in one state, if you are applying in 3-4 plus hunting in your home state, I don’t know that it is a huge deal.

I can hunt here and MT every year and put in for draws in most of the rest.  There are a bunch of ways to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »

Also as a bonus the small game license means we can now shoot a fox in co! Those little suckers are so cool!  :chuckle:
amen! Theres no shortage there either.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
ill try to clean out my inbox & I sent you a PM Karl :tup:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »

I lived in Steamboat for 4 years out of high school, the small game hunting was hands down one of the most awesome parts about living down there! A tank of gas and a .17 and a guy could come home with a whole truckload of fun stuff

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
Its funny you guys bring up the fox. My nephew shot one last year hunting antelope in wyoming and I asked him yesterday if he had my father in law do something with the hide. He laughed & said between the giant hole he blew in it & the flea infestation he only has the tail! :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
ill try to clean out my inbox & I sent you a PM Karl :tup:
got it and replied! We'll figure this sucker out! I'm excited for you! Lots of great hunting with the options you have :IBCOOL:

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »
message returned Thanks :tup:  Got my inbox cleaned up mtnwalker 8)

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal