collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Was wondering about elk and the Colville and north unit's  (Read 2837 times)

Offline RagingBull43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF
Was wondering about elk and the Colville and north unit's
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:17 AM »
I used to hunt the 101,105,108 etc unit's and back in early 90's we'd see few cows while whitetail hunting.w I've heard from a few guys dedicated to hunting that area and they say elk numbers are worth the effort and shot 2 a 5x5 and 6x6 in 2017.
Anyone have a good guess or idea. I have been hunting on Weyerhauser and get a bull/cow almost yearly during September. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's worth the effort and time to find them and scout hard. Or should I just be happy with a 4x4,5x5 Roosevelt Elk that is 270 inches of rack maximum.

Offline CJ1962

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Was wondering about elk and the Colville and north unit's
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
I would be happy with shooting an Elk (any Elk) every year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
I used to hunt the 101,105,108 etc unit's and back in early 90's we'd see few cows while whitetail hunting.w I've heard from a few guys dedicated to hunting that area and they say elk numbers are worth the effort and shot 2 a 5x5 and 6x6 in 2017.
Anyone have a good guess or idea. I have been hunting on Weyerhauser and get a bull/cow almost yearly during September. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's worth the effort and time to find them and scout hard. Or should I just be happy with a 4x4,5x5 Roosevelt Elk that is 270 inches of rack maximum.

Pics of your elk you get every year or it didn’t happen.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
When you are scouting look for wolf sign. Hopefully there are some that have out run them in the area.

Offline go4itlab

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
NE Corner has elk but tough hunting. Jungle Elk!!!!! is what we called it. Sad thing is that area has been getting hunted harder every year because of the any elk.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »

Pics of your elk you get every year or it didn’t happen.
:yeah:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
Its any bull, only bow hunters get cows........wolves have them all stirred up keeping them moving around a lot.  The hunt has gotten much more difficult the last few years as the animals are no longer predictable.

Offline beauhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Pm me and I can give you some areas we get elk consistently

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
101 is seeing more elk but like a tiny group here and single there and the only elk taken in the unit usually are known about pretty quick and last year it was like 3-4? Dunno if over 5 elk have ever been taken in a year. Check the hunt data.

I’ll trade you though! I’ll go shoot your little elk and I’ll guide you on to a 5x5 or better and see if you can get an arrow in him. I haven’t been able to. Seen em a few times and had one within 30 yards but that’s hands down the toughest critter to find in the unit. Unless you’re on the Colville Rez.

The other units have em though. Still nothing like over there but I know a lot of guys who get on them every year
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
nobody is going to share much that know where the elk are in these units. Its not any elk with a bow in many of the units its bull only. Most guys who are successful in these units dont even share locations with their wives  :chuckle:

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:38:41 PM »
nobody is going to share much that know where the elk are in these units. Its not any elk with a bow in many of the units its bull only. Most guys who are successful in these units dont even share locations with their wives  :chuckle:

:chuckle:    :chuckle:     :tup:      :sry:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 04:54:36 AM »
Theres no elk over there, keep to wet side
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal