collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backcountry boots?  (Read 25732 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Backcountry boots?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these Scarpas?
I'd pass
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
Because ?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
My scarpas destroy my feet.  I wish they didn’t because they are light. 

My hunting partner called them my “ski boots”

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
Because ?
ran narrow and was damn stiff and that's saying a lot because I like a stiff boot.  I'd go scarpa kenisis pro gtx over big orange every day of the week.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 11:34:45 PM »
I can't figure out why more companies don't go with a Vibram sole, other than cost I guess.  I have a pair of boots with Vibram soles that probably 1/2 the miles are on pavement training and total have well over 300 miles on them and they still have plenty of tread.

Vibram soles on my crispis had chunks falling off at 250 miles. Though I do think more high end companies than not use vibram. I think crispi was bragging about their special blend vibram
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:29 AM »
Check out the new Hoffman Explorers. You wont be disappointed . https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=hoffman+explorers+boots&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fhoffmanboots.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2F0000433_hoffman-insulated-explorer.jpeg#id=4&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fhoffmanboots.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2F0000433_hoffman-insulated-explorer.jpeg&action=click
Too bad they aren't waterproof. The original pair I bought in November wasn't and this pair leaks too. It's a solid stable boot though.

Send em back. They will take care of ya.  Never had my leak yet and it rained the entire elk season in st helens

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 04:52:18 AM »
The first pair I had were too narrow I sent them back after a short time and got a wider pair. I suggest you do the same.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:15 AM »
The first pair I had were too narrow I sent them back after a short time and got a wider pair. I suggest you do the same.

This is the Hoffman you are referencing?

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2019, 06:10:43 AM »
Because ?

What type of boot are you looking for?

I started with salomons years ago, loved them, but they leaked and were a middle of the road boot.
I then went through some Crispi Summits, alright boot but my foot never really loved.
Crispis Nevadas were next. Non insulated, I really like the boot, currently still have and wear them often.  But my feet run hot so this winter I went on the search for a stiff boot but a little lighter weight and good breathability.
I started with the Scarpa Zodiac Tech.  Liked the boot, but I could not get a good heel seat.  No matter how I laced my heel would move after a couple of flights of stairs.  Sent them back and tried the Charmoz, same thing.
Next up was the Salewa Raven 2 GTX.  The boot is super stiff, somewhat breathable, fit amazing and my heel stayed put.  The problem for me, these were a little too "hardcore" for me.  The lacing system is amazing...for Everest climbers.  They have cam style locking eyelets and 3 different locking zones in the laces.  I loved the customization, but too much effort and too much boot for me.  Next was the Salewa Crow GTX. This boot is the greatest boot I have tried so far.  The fit and feel is fantastic.  Stiff sole, breathable, flexible upper with a great ankle support.  My heel locks in and never moves.  There is a cable that wraps around the heel that really keeps everything put.  The footbed is amazing. It comes out and has two different sections that you can configure to your likings, hard to explain but its amazing.  I like a wider toe box and these fit the bill.  I have 2 months in them, 30+miles never needed the infamous break-in, take some getting used to if you never have had a super stiff sole.

https://www.backcountry.com/salewa-crow-gtx-boot-mens?skid=SFW002P-BLA-S7&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNhbGV3YSBNZW4ncyBIaWtpbmcgJiBCYWNrcGFja2luZyBCb290cyAmIFNob2VzOjE6NzoxMDAwMDEwMDVfYmMtbW5zaGtuZ2Jja3Bja25nYnRzc2hz
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
I have the Kennetrek Mtn. Extremes now.  This is my second pair.  They are a 2-3 year boot for me.  They have been good, but I wouldn't say great.  The soles break down quickly, and they have moderate ankle support -  I like them when they are new, but once they start to break down, they get too sloppy.

I like the look of the Asolo Hunter Extreme, but they look like they are discontinued.
The scarpas I posted earlier look good - but maybe too stiff according to many people.
The Hoffman explorer looks ok - but the limited reviews show them as non-waterproof.

I have some time to research. That's my start.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
And I like a taller boot - 8" or 10".
Those Salewa's look good, but I'm worried they aren't tall enough. :twocents:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
Because ?

What type of boot are you looking for?

I started with salomons years ago, loved them, but they leaked and were a middle of the road boot.
I then went through some Crispi Summits, alright boot but my foot never really loved.
Crispis Nevadas were next. Non insulated, I really like the boot, currently still have and wear them often.  But my feet run hot so this winter I went on the search for a stiff boot but a little lighter weight and good breathability.
I started with the Scarpa Zodiac Tech.  Liked the boot, but I could not get a good heel seat.  No matter how I laced my heel would move after a couple of flights of stairs.  Sent them back and tried the Charmoz, same thing.
Next up was the Salewa Raven 2 GTX.  The boot is super stiff, somewhat breathable, fit amazing and my heel stayed put.  The problem for me, these were a little too "hardcore" for me.  The lacing system is amazing...for Everest climbers.  They have cam style locking eyelets and 3 different locking zones in the laces.  I loved the customization, but too much effort and too much boot for me.  Next was the Salewa Crow GTX. This boot is the greatest boot I have tried so far.  The fit and feel is fantastic.  Stiff sole, breathable, flexible upper with a great ankle support.  My heel locks in and never moves.  There is a cable that wraps around the heel that really keeps everything put.  The footbed is amazing. It comes out and has two different sections that you can configure to your likings, hard to explain but its amazing.  I like a wider toe box and these fit the bill.  I have 2 months in them, 30+miles never needed the infamous break-in, take some getting used to if you never have had a super stiff sole.

https://www.backcountry.com/salewa-crow-gtx-boot-mens?skid=SFW002P-BLA-S7&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNhbGV3YSBNZW4ncyBIaWtpbmcgJiBCYWNrcGFja2luZyBCb290cyAmIFNob2VzOjE6NzoxMDAwMDEwMDVfYmMtbW5zaGtuZ2Jja3Bja25nYnRzc2hz
Too Mellenial looking for me.   Hehe.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
@Sigmanu262

OK I am a little behind the times.  What does this do "@sigmanu262"?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
@Sigmanu262

OK I am a little behind the times.  What does this do "@sigmanu262"?

@ sends a direct message to the user.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal