collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hancock 2019-2020 NEW rules  (Read 29893 times)

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: Hancock 2019-2020 NEW rules
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »
No, I agree with you that it doesn't make any sense.  One of the few things I could go do and know that I would never be within 6ft of anyone, is closed and for what?  What is their closure preventing from occurring that is helpful to the virus situation?  I did buy my 2020 permit and just hope I get to get some use out of it.

Offline BigCutty3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
We already release all liability when we buy the permit.  I understand having an abundance of caution, so have a container of disinfectant at the gate and the sign in area.  Or make it walk in only even.  Do something creative.  Now it only punishes those of us who follow the rules...I know there are plenty of dudes ignoring the rules and chancing it.  I know they are still logging as well.  Oh well I guess its their land and they can manage it however they want. Its still lame any way you slice it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2020, 05:53:49 PM »
As long as they sell permits, I wouldn't expect it to change.  I doubt it even shows up on any radar at that company, it's a tiny issue that probably one guy messes with in terms of decision making.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2020, 06:23:00 PM »
I’m a regular purchaser of the permit, 99% of the reason I buy it is for the elk drawing. No elk draw and the very poor deer hunting, I’d be done.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bearbaito6

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
Absolutely stupid! To shut us out of the safest place  for us to be!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:40:25 PM by bearbaito6 »

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
orm who own a significant amount of the property  doesn't want access to you already. the permits only there because of two other landowners and hancock is still there for management

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:46 PM »
all the shenanigans are bull S*I* but at least there is some access. value for the pass is getting hard to justify for most folks

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »
I did break down and purchase mine. I just hope they relax a little and try to keep it open.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline bearbaito6

• Hunter
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2020, 07:43:49 PM »
Orm sold earlier this year. So that has nothing to do with it.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
I’m pissed. We’re going into the best few weeks of shed hunting and they close it.  Literally the safest place I could hang out with a virus goin around. And you can bet nothing major is gonna change by the 31st.  :bash: :bash: :bash:
Sheds will still be there, except for the ones on the roads that the employees pick up
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 09:21:13 AM »
I’m pissed. We’re going into the best few weeks of shed hunting and they close it.  Literally the safest place I could hang out with a virus goin around. And you can bet nothing major is gonna change by the 31st.  :bash: :bash: :bash:
Sheds will still be there, except for the ones on the roads that the employees pick up
no they won’t!!!!  No reason to ever buy that pass or go look for sheds anymore.   I heard they aren’t selling anymore passes, only those people that have already bought the pass for 2020 can go in. 

😜
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline BigCutty3

• Hunter
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
Ifn I was a bettin' man, Id say it ain't opening until at least the govs stay home stay healthy campaign is over, which would take us until April 8th.  Im guessing it will be even longer, guess we will see...

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
no they won’t!!!!  No reason to ever buy that pass or go look for sheds anymore.   I heard they aren’t selling anymore passes, only those people that have already bought the pass for 2020 can go in. 

😜
I have trouble finding them anyway...... :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno: :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle:
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline BigCutty3

• Hunter
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
Well looks like Hancock is going to stay closed.  My guess is they will just use Covid as an excuse to stay closed regardless.  Then of course the summer fire closure will be right after that.  Still have some cameras up there but not sure Im going to even get a chance to get them at this rate.   :bash:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »
I believe the objective of the change of policies is an effort to boost deer populations and the quality of bucks.  I think they could have made different changes to accomplish this.  The old rules allowed a family to go up (with one permit) and kill an animal for each tag holding family member.  When you put 1200 permits up for sale that quickly diminishes the deer population in an area.  I think last year they changed the rules to a two point minimum, which was a good first step.  Now, they are going away from the general antlerless deer harvest on the properties they manage, and I think that was a great move as well.  However, instead of making families buy two permits for husband and wife (and potentially more for children over 18), my opinion is that they should put a limit on harvest of animals per permit instead.  Whether it is one animal of each species per permit or two?  However, I think making families buy two permits isn't the way I would have done it.  Pretty much across the board there has been an effort to get more participation from women and children into hunting and the outdoors in general.  If you put a limit of one deer tag per permit, then it allows families to go up and do all of the other outdoor recreational activities that tree farms provide while still working toward the goal of improving the deer population and quality.  Just a thought that crossed my mind. 

By the way, I am surprised that these permits are even managed via Hancock.  They own very little in the Kapowsin tree farm anymore, and I didn't even know they owned any in the White River.  I am not as familiar with that farm, but know the Muckleshoots bought around 90,000 acres from them in that tree farm a few years back (I believe Hancock still manages it for them).  I know a large chunk (if not all) of the Eatonville tree farm was sold recently as well.  Hancock is fazing out of the timberland management/investment business so when this permit came out as a Hancock permit this year I was surprised.  The management and decisions within these farms is voted on by the stakeholders (land managers) within the farms.  Even though you are buying a "Hancock Permit", the land you are hunting is mostly owned and/or managed by other companies.  I am assuming they have stayed with the Hancock label out of convenience.  I am pleased to see that the new landowners are all working together to keep the permit and area managed as one block though.  With the checkerboarded ownerships in those areas I have been interested to see how they would manage recreational access.       

Well said. The deer population in there definitely needs an overhaul. In my two years and countless miles walking, I have never laid eyes on a buck in there. With the two point minimum and antlerless being banned, I think it would be a miracle for a family to fill even 1 deer tag. I 100% agree with you that the new rule on each adult needing there own pass is a big thorn in the continuation of the hunting community.
I know you posted this comment in 2019... but really? You've never seen a buck in there? I hunted it 2017 and again in 2018 and we saw at least 6-8 bucks every year. Could never get close enough to slip an arrow into one of the bucks but we filled our tags on doe's during late season, since it was still open for that back then for archery. Hell we cruised up to an area in 2018 and were gonna hunt down a crotch that still had trees and brush while clear cut on both sides.. in 15 minutes we saw a 3x3 a 2x2 and about 10 does. Buddy shot a BIG old doe and I had already punched my tag so I was just along for the nature walk and help packing back to the truck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]