collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NE Oregon Snow  (Read 3976 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
NE Oregon Snow
« on: March 08, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
We are considering going back into the Eagle Caps this fall after striking out in Wyoming. As of now, thinking of going in around August 29th and heading out September 7th or 8th. Any thoughts on this given the snow fall the past 4-6 weeks?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: NE Oregon Snow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »
You should be fine. I have been in there 4 times within a couple weeks of those dates, and never had any snow issues. The elk like to bed on the glaciers that time of the year.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
You should be fine. I have been in there 4 times within a couple weeks of those dates, and never had any snow issues. The elk like to bed on the glaciers that time of the year.

Have you found there is much rut activity?

Online Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
Snow wont be an issue. you'll still be a little early for good rut activity.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:46 AM »

That is what I was thinking too but given the timing of the full moon and how work schedules are lining out, it looks like the best time for us to go in. Not exactly sure what strategy I would use for a hunt at that time as I have never been in the woods hunting that early

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:56:35 AM »
You might see some but I can't ever remember seeing any that early that stuck around for more than a day or two at the higher elevations.

Online Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »

That is what I was thinking too but given the timing of the full moon and how work schedules are lining out, it looks like the best time for us to go in. Not exactly sure what strategy I would use for a hunt at that time as I have never been in the woods hunting that early

Well I'm a pretty crummy elk hunter but..... I think the best thing to do that time of year is hang around water. Which is pretty much everywhere in the Eagle Caps, but if you can find some wallows I would sit on those as much as I could stand it. Then the other thing would be to get up on those shady, timbered benches in the middle of the day when they're bedded down and lure them in with some easy cow calling and fully expect them to come in quiet.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »

Well I'm a pretty crummy elk hunter but..... I think the best thing to do that time of year is hang around water. Which is pretty much everywhere in the Eagle Caps, but if you can find some wallows I would sit on those as much as I could stand it. Then the other thing would be to get up on those shady, timbered benches in the middle of the day when they're bedded down and lure them in with some easy cow calling and fully expect them to come in quiet.

I agree that there is water everywhere in there. The other time we were in there like 5 years ago, I believe is was mid september and they were going hot and heavy. Wouldn't really come into calls but were at least bugling a lot so we could locate. My hope would be that the bulls would just be starting to want to round up cows so majority of calling would be some cow/calf chatter

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
There will be cows cycling at any time between the last week of August all the way till mid October.   Don't over think it, just hunt.  They are there and there is rut activity taking place  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:31 AM »
There will be cows cycling at any time between the last week of August all the way till mid October.   Don't over think it, just hunt.  They are there and there is rut activity taking place  :twocents:

That is the hardest part for me. I try to go in with a strategy given time of year, location etc but always end up with the "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" outcome.  :chuckle:

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
I had friends that went on those dates last year and they said bugling wasn't really sounding off yet. They recommended going back a week or two later .

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »
I've been hunting the Eagle Cap the last few Septembers and I'd agree with the consensus that the bugling isn't really at full force at those dates. I'd go anyway though if it fits your schedule. You should do well without having to rely on calling. There's enough open country to spot and stalk.

I really love that hunt BTW. It's the most fun I have all year.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
My plan would be to get “punched in the mouth” two or three times daily and call it a good hunt...actually I have that plan this year, different state :)
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »
My plan would be to get “punched in the mouth” two or three times daily and call it a good hunt...actually I have that plan this year, different state :)

seems to be a recurring theme for us  :yike:  :chuckle:

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:01:30 AM »
:yeah:
couldn't have said it better, strategy has been the killer of many a good hunt.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal