collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Parenting Advice  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Parenting Advice
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
Need your advice fellow Mom's and Dad's out there.  My 9-year old is gearing up for his first hunt, barring a field exercise catastrophe, we're planning on doing our first youth hunt this year.  I want to make this hunting trip fun and encouraging so I have a life long hunting buddy.  He already follows me around and enjoys being outdoors...it is the shooting side of hunting that I want to make sure I don't ruin for him.  I'm wondering if I should hold off getting a turkey choke and "hopped-up" turkey shells for his 20? I know there is a big difference from normal 3" shells and modified choke in a 12 ga. when compared to extra full turkey chokes combined with turkey shells.  I'm considering having him practice with 2.75" #8 with modified and then swap out during the hunt...unlike shooting at paper recoil seems to disappear when shooting at an quarry.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Parenting Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
20ga is more than enough to kill a bird.  My kid was 9 when he shot his first turkey and it was with a 20.  Choke makes no difference on recoil....NONE.  Biggest factor in "felt" recoil with a shotgun it gun fit.  If it is too long it is going to kick the snot out of him.   I highly recommend practice with cheap promo light loads.  When he does pull the trigger on his first bird he will not feel the recoil.

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »
I agree with Henrydog. I got my first bird with a 20 ga.
Hopefully the gun fits your son well enough (tight to the shoulder) so he won't be mule kicked when he does shoot.
My son got scared just watching the recoil effect of someone else shooting.
Good luck - keep up the good work Dad!

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »
You seem to be right on track with your initial thoughts.  I'd skip the choke, stick with 3" #4s, and practice with the lighter loads you mentioned.  Keep the shots <25 and you should be good to go.:tup:

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
My two older boys were 9 and 11. We practiced with lite stuff then used dedicated #5 turkey loads while hunting. They didn't notice a thing. Took a semi-guided youth season hunt from Rick at Buck Canyon Lodge (he's on here). Had a SUPER time, made friend of Rick and Wendy, and took 4 great Turkey! They used Youth 870's.

Recently I took my stepsons, thru the master hunter mentor program, and the 8yo took one with the same heavy loads, didn't notice a recoil, just weather or not the bird fell! I had downsized and ported an old 20 single for just such an occasion.

Impressed with the 20 under 40 yards. No problems at all. I like the bigger payload of #5's, but I don't know that it's necessary. My boys are solid built, but my stepson was about the size of a wisp of smoke... no recoil issues in the field for any of them.

And if you want a sure bet, call Rick!

- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. Agree with everyone else, stick with the 20 gauge for him, practice with lighter loads, learn his range, then limits shots to that range in the field. I killed my first bird with a single shot 20.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »
Put the 12ga in the safe and shooting the 20ga exclusively now. Let the boy shoot and practice with game loads then come season slip in a Turkey load. Make sure you pattern it for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
I agree with everyone else, use the 20.  They make great shells and what you want to avoid is a bad experience.  My son ended up going backwards over a bucket seat in the duck blind one day due to poor body and foot positioning when he pulled the trigger.  Very funny stuff, but he still remembers that and it took a fair bit of time before he was comfortable shooting again.

I am very hesitant to move up with him at 10 years old, but his sister was surprisingly comfortable on my 30-06 at 13.  They are all different.

Offline roderickweise

• Pilgrim
  • Live to hunt and hunt to live.
    • https://www.facebook.com/roderick.weise
    • Personal website
  • Groups: Washington Open Carry.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »
I would say go with the 20ga. When I was 10ish I used my brothers 12ga for duck hunting and after a day of hunting I almost didn't want to hunt again. I ended up picking up a 20ga for my 12th birthday and used that for hunting till I was 18. 20ga are good especially for younger adults.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
Agreed. All I use is a 20 anymore. Pack lots of treats. You might also consider some muffs for sound to pull on before the shot. I wish I would have done better with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
I don't turkey hunt but I did buy my daughter a 870 youth 20. I bought a neoprene recoil pad that helped a lot. My son who is turning 10 and is tall for his age will now be shooting it, after upcoming hunter safety. My daughter only shot trap loads then unfortunately read a book about the beef industry and went vegan  :'( never got a chance to shoot a duck with her. The pad made a lot of difference for her and she was very comfortable with it, I will start the boy out that way too.
Have fun  :tup:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »
At nine or ten years old a 12ga is too much gun unless your kid is six feet tall. I still remember the first time I pulled the trigger on my Dad's 12ga. I got rocked and luckily my Dad was smart enough to only put one shell in his double barrel when he let me fire the shotgun. Stick with the 20ga. Your son will enjoy shooting it instead of cringing when he pulls the trigger. I would not worry about getting a turkey choke for his first year of hunting.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
It probably goes without saying but if they enjoy their first experience with the shot gun, they are probably hooked (like I was)...and progress through the other steps like bigger loads and bigger guns pretty easily. If it is fun they will love every chance they get to do it.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
You're on the right track.
Another vote for earmuffs.
Don't forget the earmuffs
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Cool eye protection is always a bonus too instead of big goofy adult ones...my kid spends half his life in youth safety glasses...and he needs them  :chuckle:

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
My son asked if he could use Grandpa's crossbow to kill his first turkey after seeing Mr. Jimmy Primos harvest one. We've got a year or so to get him comfortable. Bonus is no kick, no bang, no hearing protection needed.  I myself prefer a shotgun, but as far as options available to parent's, crossbows are in the mix.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal