collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sportsman Strike  (Read 10684 times)

Offline bbarnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
Sportsman Strike
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:58 AM »
Many people I have talked to in the last 4 Years,think the time has come.With the populations of Elk ,Deer ,Salmon ,and Steelhead on a massive decline WHY BUY the oppertunity.This states product is broken and with increased fees,and no conservation of these species ,when are we at the BREAKING POINT.We want to hear feedback from you ,and your opionions.Curently we are working on a public meeting date,and will be inviting WDFW and our state reps and business owners.Your voice will be heard loud and clear in this setting.The power of the pocketbook is all we have,as sportsman in this state.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
Re: Sportsman Strike
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 04:51:24 AM »
I've been saying this for a few years now, both here and on Ifish.  I don't know if half the people over there are gillnetting Democrats or what, but not a ton seem on board.  I'M ALL IN, and I'm starting regardless of what anybody else does.  Haven't bought my WA hunting license last two years, and now with gillnets going back in the main Columbia, I'm not buying my fishing license for the first time ever.  We need to get EVERYONE on board with this to work.  Take some years off, pick up a new hobby, become a better husband/wife/parent, do some work around the house.  I too see taking their funds away as the only means to get things fixed.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:24:47 AM »
I already am a better husband. Better to head to other states to keep your skills honed up.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:09:56 AM »
Sorry, I can't be on board. For the same reason I don't archery hunt, I like meat too much. I've been eating deer and elk since I was kid and have only bought beef and handful of times. I don't plan on changing that, I eat deer or elk 3-5 times a week year long. It would cost me a lot more money than my licenses to start buying beef or other meat from the store.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08:46 AM »
Increased fees, true spike, poor salmon numbers, less game, increased predators....I've been buying less permit applications for a few years now. Hunting in WA has really declined. I am pretty sure we will be hunting with family that lives in Idaho.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
Sorry, I can't be on board. For the same reason I don't archery hunt, I like meat too much. I've been eating deer and elk since I was kid and have only bought beef and handful of times. I don't plan on changing that, I eat deer or elk 3-5 times a week year long. It would cost me a lot more money than my licenses to start buying beef or other meat from the store.
Go out of state until they start fixing this state.  Win win!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
 :tup: I have been on strike since Disc. pass!!!  Last 2 years no Wa. hunt for me to speak of.  Idaho was nice but a failure.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
At least buy licenses for bear, cougar, and bobcat. Then you can hunt predators year around. I don't know how anyone who's a hunter could totally give up hunting where they live.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »
At least buy licenses for bear, cougar, and bobcat. Then you can hunt predators year around. I don't know how anyone who's a hunter could totally give up hunting where they live.

This is what I've been doing for 3 years now. I hunt bear and coyotes in wa, but save the other big game for out of state hunts.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
Just saying but this might not be the best plan. If they see hunting numbers decline they have 0 reason to keep as much public land as they do and can chose to sell it to the highest bidder. You cant cry about them selling it because you weren't using it and doing nothing about trying to keep it public. I don't duck hunt but I still bought a stamp, it isn't expensive but anything helps. After I purchase my stamp I can only hope money goes to good and not wasted but I made that choice when I bought my stamp.
Kind of like giving a homeless man money, I hope he gets food with it but if not that's okay too, it's none of my business what he does with the money. Yes I can keep my money and say "oh he might go buy drugs with it", BUT what if he was to get food with it? Hes not getting to eat because I chose not to give him my money. Just my opinion

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »
Aren't they already something like 40mil in the hole? 

I don't think less license sales will do anything at all. 
You want change, start a petition for a ballot measure making the counsel an elected position represented by districts. 

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
Its true hunting/fishing is not like it used to be. I hunt now because it is something I love to do and have been doing for 56 years. My buddies I hunt with are all over 60 and we all hunted deer and elk last year. No elk but 3 nice meat bucks and we had a great time in our camps and getting out there chasing critters. A couple of seconds difference and I would have put an arrow in a spike elk up on the Colockum. I arrowed a nice lion up there two years ago and my 72 year old buddy arrowed a nice fat cow up there the same year. I guess my point here is my group is a bunch of old farts and we are going to keep buying licenses for as long as we are able to go. I am not sure but I think my age group will feel the same way. How many years do we have left to hunt? Now if someone wants to push for everyone 18 and over but under 65 to quit buying licenses, I will support that in a minute.   :lol4:

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »

You want change, start a petition for a ballot measure making the counsel an elected position represented by districts.
I think it's about 31 Mil, but yes.  That's why there will more than likely be a 15% increase in license fees next year.  You can give them all the money, but you can't make them spend it wisely.  You are correct on needing the WDFW counsel to be voted on by the people however and not the Governor.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
Just saying but this might not be the best plan. If they see hunting numbers decline they have 0 reason to keep as much public land as they do and can chose to sell it to the highest bidder. You cant cry about them selling it because you weren't using it and doing nothing about trying to keep it public. I don't duck hunt but I still bought a stamp, it isn't expensive but anything helps. After I purchase my stamp I can only hope money goes to good and not wasted but I made that choice when I bought my stamp.
Kind of like giving a homeless man money, I hope he gets food with it but if not that's okay too, it's none of my business what he does with the money. Yes I can keep my money and say "oh he might go buy drugs with it", BUT what if he was to get food with it? Hes not getting to eat because I chose not to give him my money. Just my opinion

first time I've heard license money compared to giving money to homeless, haha nice comparison!

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »

Sadly, I expect this elected counsel will end up being all anti-hunters or non-hunters as there are so many more of them than us.  Once they're in charge, hunting will end for most.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal