collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote Prices  (Read 6520 times)

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
Re: Coyote Prices
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
so those of you that fur trade why do you only save the yotes from October to February? whats wrong with year round? I've wanted to learn this trade for a hobby but no idea where to start.
The fur trade wants good quality fur. Coyotes start priming up Oct. 15 to Nov. 1 in WA. The farther south you are the later they prime. Anything earlier will grade flat and the price will tumble to sub $20  probably. On the other end they start to break starting about mid January. The later you get them the more chance of rub and a rubbed coyote even slightly rubbed is not going to bring much. In W WA we have a lot go bad in December because of matting, wet weather and all that. Again not worth much at best. November and December are where it is at with E WA extending through January. Always the exception to the rule though so look them over even into March.
The fur market wants the feet off both cats and coyotes. The claws can damage the fur when drumming

Also there is a big difference where you are in the state. Don't expect a lot of top lot coyotes out of W WA or even out of the basin on the east side. They still have value, just don't think everyone is worth a $100 bill.
Cats the same. It is an exceptional cat that approaches a $1000. Even east side cats you would do well to get 1/3rd of that. West side cats often go better for taxidermy. They don't grade good because of their color.
what do you guys mean by rub? like rubbing against bushes and trees? does it make them less valuable because in a way it combs the animal and thins the fur? how do they decide on color consistency? sorry for all the questions, this is interesting to me

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 08:18:11 PM »
A rub is where the fur is wearing out. A spot where some of the fur has actually been pulled out or rubbed off. Can start as a mat from rain or maybe some pitch or the start of mange. Or it is just late in the season and they have literally just rubbed up against too many things through the winter.

Color is graded from lighter to darker with lighter being better. Also length of fur and coarseness.
On cats they are looking for bright, clear, spotty belly. The wider the belly the more value. Most cats will not have a bright white belly the full length. Often it will appear darker from red hairs intruding usually behind the front legs. This called bridged. Not good! Most W WA cats will grade casty as the belly will not be bright. Also not good!
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »
This one would have been pretty good had it not been shot with a 300 win mag. Hopefully it stitches up nice.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Bruce is right on the money as always.  I didn't want to give the impression you're all leaving $188 laying in the dirt, but you are leaving some good money.  Most of us would not leave $50 to $75+ laying on thre ground and walk away.  It's not hard to learn to put up fur and it is VERY satisifying work.  Just a small investment in tools and time and you are good to go.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline coyotehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »
This is from Fur Harvesters website. They just had the auction a couple of days ago. Lynx Cat is their terminology for bobcat. They have another auction at the end of May where I will have my furs in. I will post the auction result and my actual fur results then.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 07:02:20 AM »
Do you need to have a fur bearers license to sell at auction?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:58 AM »
No.

Offline Thermal Predator Control

• Thermal Predator Control
  • Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Brad 509.308.6551
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/3332220800145116/?ref=share
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 06:47:09 AM »
Last season I killed 35 in December and January.  I sold most of them whole for $20-30. Paid for my diesel at least. 2019 season I plan on killing at least 50 and am skinning them and sending them to auction.
I provide a service to cattle ranchers year around that have problem coyotes.  I also provide guided night hunts year around. I sell Night Vision and Thermal optics. The scopes I use are the NVision Halo XRF and Pulsar Merger XL50 LRF HD Binoculars

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
Last season I killed 35 in December and January.  I sold most of them whole for $20-30. Paid for my diesel at least. 2019 season I plan on killing at least 50 and am skinning them and sending them to auction.
You got $20-$30 each? Do you freeze them whole?

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Brad 509.308.6551
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »
When I go out I usually kill between 3 an 8 coyots.  My fur buyer is 25 minutes from my home so I just bring them to him right away
I provide a service to cattle ranchers year around that have problem coyotes.  I also provide guided night hunts year around. I sell Night Vision and Thermal optics. The scopes I use are the NVision Halo XRF and Pulsar Merger XL50 LRF HD Binoculars

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »
When I go out I usually kill between 3 an 8 coyots.  My fur buyer is 25 minutes from my home so I just bring them to him right away
:yike: :yike: :yike: :tup: :tup: :tup: Sounds like a great operation you have!!!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
Nice Elkburger and Baranouskas!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Brad 509.308.6551
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
:yike: :yike: :yike: :tup: :tup: :tup: Sounds like a great operation you have!!!
Ya, but I wanna try an make more $ this season, it’s gonna be a lot of work!

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Ya, but I wanna try an make more $ this season, it’s gonna be a lot of work!
Don't try and fool me.... Its a labor of love!!!! I'm sure you'll do great!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]