collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need some help picking a new camera ...  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Parasite

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Need some help picking a new camera ...
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »
Been out of the photography game for many years and am looking to get back in, mostly for nature photography. Can't decide on a brand (Nikon, Canon, or Sony) and don't know anything about mirrorless. I have experience with SLR and digital point & shoot, just not DSLR or mirrorless. Any advice? Recommend camera forums? Having multiple cameras and lenses (point and shoot, DSLR .... etc)?

Offline stickflngr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Need some help picking a new camera ...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
Last year I did a ton of research and ended up with a Nikon D500 paired with a Nikon 200-500 lens for chasing critters. Kind of an expensive set up but it takes way better pics than I do and Ive had a ton of fun with it. One of the places I went was a guy named Steve Perry https://backcountrygallery.com/ His site has a lot of good reviews and books and for me it was a great place to get started. Hopefully some of our gurus will chime in too. Good luck

Hoyt carbon element G3
Elite GT500

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch"
" Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm surprised no gurus have chimed in here. I want a mirrorless camera, but I might wait a few more years for the technology to mature.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
I'm no guru but I read some guys opinion that the Nikon z mirrorless cameras werent the best for wildlife/ nature.
https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-z6-and-z7-a-wildlife-photographers-initial-perspective/

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:00:55 PM »
Just save yourself a bunch of heartache and buy a Nikon P900 for under $500 and be able to reach WAY out and grab some nice quality wildlife pics. They're no where near the top tier quality of many that post on the forums, but for the normal guy, they take some pretty amazing pics without spending thousands on lenses. Check em out. :tup:

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:02 PM »
Check out the Canon SX60 HS.  I really like mine
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »
I'll comment on Nikon, because that's what I've owned and shot with for decades.  My current go to gear for shooting birds and wildlife is the D500 body with a 200-500 lens.  The D500 is a "crop sensor camera" (DX) which basically in simple talk means your image appears larger as opposed to a "full frame camera" (FX).  I use the D500 for landscape as well as wildlife.  I bought my 200-500 lens new, but the D500 I bought used with less than 4000 clicks on the sensor. 

I have several lenses I use for landscapes, but my favorite is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.  I'm saving up to buy a used Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8.  Both of these lenses are made specifically for DX or crop sensor cameras and they're very highly rated.

I also have a Nikon D7000.  With the D7000 series and higher bodies, you can use all the older lenses manual or otherwise.  I have quite a few manual lenses I bought in the 1980's to use with my manual film bodies.  These lenses also work with the D500 body....in manual of course.

Ken Rockwell has a website with reviews for almost every body and lens.  There's also websites/forums for Nikon users only.  One website that is photography only is fredmiranda.com. Guys and gals share their work and usually what equipment they use as well as the settings for their images.

Brand new gear is nice, but don't overlook used.  Some guys buy the newest camera everytime it hits the market and sell their "old" gear.  So you can pick up a great camera or lens for much less than new. 
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »
Thanks for the info so far. I do think the mirrorless needs several more years for the technology to mature before I go that route. I've got an old Nikon N60 film camera that's not working right now (not sure why), so if I can port those lenses over to a 7000 series, I might do that. I do like the Nikon SLR film cameras over the Canon. However, I need to re-compare on the DSLR. I do like the Canon ELPH series for point & shoot, the Nikons not so much. The Sony RX series is appealing to me right now, solely to have something smaller and packable until I am ready to buy a DSLR, Mirrorless, or whatever.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
Sell you a Canon EOS D70 with 2 lens and accessories shipped for $1200 FIRM.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
Sell you a Canon EOS D70 with 2 lens and accessories shipped for $1200 FIRM.

Not interested.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
Mirrorless cameras will use a TON of batteries so be ready for that. If you're going to pack around a camera on a hike and don't want to have to carry 3-6 batteries then an SLR is the way to go. Canon is pushing the envelope in mirror ess with some ridiculously good quality lenses on the way that WONT work with DLSRs due to the flange distance. There's a sweet short and stubby 70-200mm f/2.8, a 28-70 f/2, and a rumored 11-24 f/1.4!!!  :yike:

Nikon cameras have better dynamic range (ability to recover shadows without icky color noise and banding) and possibly better high ISO noise performance but if you're going to shoot people you might like the colors from Canon better. Either way, your best investment of a budget to get a camera at least five years old and a bunch of lenses. Remember a quality tripod for landscapes and some lighting (speedlites and a reflector) for people.  :tup:

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
Parasite... here's a link to check and see if your lenses are compatible with a newer DSLR camera body.  I believe the newest body in the 7000 series i the D7500. 

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000002638&configured=1&lang=en_US

Get the best lenses you can afford!  The latest greatest camera won't make up for a crappy lens.  The Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 is a VERY good lens. You can get a used copy of version 1 for under a $1000 and a used version II for about $1500.  I used a friend of mine's 70-200 once on my D7000 to photograph bighorns, the photos are awesome! 
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Many of your old lens wont communicate with the newer cameras.  You might still be able to use them, but not with auto focus.  Im a Canon guy so cant help you with your Nikon aspirations.    When you get serious, invest in glass.  The body is nothing compared to the glass.  I believe thats been said already but I will second that.  Once you pick a ine Nikon or Canon, stick with it.   Unless you are filthy rich that is.   Great advice on getting a quality point and shoot until you know what you are after.  They are backpackable, take great photos and a fraction of what you will spend once you figure out what you really want. 

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure that on all of the Nikon DSLR's, they still use the F-mount lenses and most F-mount lenses will work on them, of course, like Bone said, many will be manual only.  This was the reason I went Nikon when I started with DSLR.  All of my old lenses work.  Seems like when Canon comes out with a new body, they change formats  :dunno:
Matthew 6:33

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
If it is for wildlife, make sure it is completely waterproof and the lenses are waterproof. Water-resistant doesn't cut it in Washington

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]