collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Time to Hound Hunt Cougars  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Best Time to Hound Hunt Cougars
« on: March 23, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
I’m thinking of booking a trip to BC for cougar and Lynx. What would be the best time of year to go? Lynx closes February 15th so it would have to be before that. One guide I’m interested in has December 11-20 open. I don’t know anything about hound hunting but I would think that would be a good time most years. They should definitely have snow by then that far North I would think. Let me know your thoughts.

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Best Time to Hound Hunt Cougars
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Mid Dec - 31st would be my choice.  I got mine this past year on the 26th and it was perfect timing.  Too many different scenarios to list but if you’re #1 focus is weather pattern, pressure, etc I’d go anytime second half of December.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
I met this guy in Republic a few years ago. K9's Cougar Canyon Outfitters in BC. He sold his construction company in Dickerson N.Dakota. He was moving to BC to start his business.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
I’m thinking of booking a trip to BC for cougar and Lynx. What would be the best time of year to go? Lynx closes February 15th so it would have to be before that. One guide I’m interested in has December 11-20 open. I don’t know anything about hound hunting but I would think that would be a good time most years. They should definitely have snow by then that far North I would think. Let me know your thoughts.

The best time will vary by area and by weather conditions each year. I generally consider December the best month for us in Idaho, hope that helps.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
It depends on the year.  I generally like earlier in the season before the snow is chest deep

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
As a houndsmen i like December. But from what ive heard gene alfred killed his biggest toms in march(breeding season)

Offline Shannon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 07:07:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and book the December dates. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
You should have a good hunt, I would expect good tracking conditions in December, especially further north in BC.

As a houndsmen i like December. But from what ive heard gene alfred killed his biggest toms in march(breeding season)

Cougar don't have a specific breeding season, they can breed any time of the year, that's why different sized kittens can be seen at any time of the year. The guy you mentioned and the area he hunted might get an influx of late season wintering wildlife, those cats may have been coming out of remote areas other hound hunters didn't reach or maybe he didn't hunt those areas until March when other areas were no longer good hunting. I don't know, but there are several possibilities including pure coincidence that he caught them in March and not in other months.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
Hopefully you get to go.  BC is a mess right now with the greenies.  First grizz hunting was banned and right now there is new legislation to ban the hunting of lynx and cougars. 

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »
You should have a good hunt, I would expect good tracking conditions in December, especially further north in BC.

Cougar don't have a specific breeding season, they can breed any time of the year, that's why different sized kittens can be seen at any time of the year. The guy you mentioned and the area he hunted might get an influx of late season wintering wildlife, those cats may have been coming out of remote areas other hound hunters didn't reach or maybe he didn't hunt those areas until March when other areas were no longer good hunting. I don't know, but there are several possibilities including pure coincidence that he caught them in March and not in other months.

From what ive heard from these guys that knew him was that he caught record cats in march because he only hunted in there in march because he believed it was best, ive been told my whole life that lions breed in feburary and march and i always believed it because most juveniles in winter months look to be about 6-9 months old. I rarely see little 20 pounders in cat season and just assumed it was a fluke. Never really put much thought or care into when they breed.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

From what ive heard from these guys that knew him was that he caught record cats in march because he only hunted in there in march because he believed it was best, ive been told my whole life that lions breed in feburary and march and i always believed it because most juveniles in winter months look to be about 6-9 months old. I rarely see little 20 pounders in cat season and just assumed it was a fluke. Never really put much thought or care into when they breed.

http://westernwildlife.org/cougar-outreach-project/biology-behavior/

Not being argumentative, just offering a little extra info. This article is fairly accurate although they say males have separate home territories when in fact multiple males territories often overlap especially if there is high cougar density in specific desirable areas. I have physically seen kittens as small as 5 to 10 pounds and all sizes up from that during the winter, but as the article mentions there seems to be purges of kittens born at certain times of the year, I would definitely agree with that. That causes it to seem like there are certain breeding times, but as it explains cougar can and do breed at any time of the year which explains why toms and females are found traveling together at various times of the year, but they are only together a few days and then separate. Unless they are breeding, males and females do not otherwise willingly travel together or hang out together.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]