collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting distances in the Sherman unit  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Shooting distances in the Sherman unit
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
I drew a spring Sherman tag and I am thinking about what rifle to bring.

I normally shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and I am comfortable to 200-300 yards with that gun (the gun can shoot much better than I do...)

I would really like to use my Marlin 1895 45/70 Gvt. Lever gun - for me that is a 100 yard gun. 

I don't know too much about the unit, but will being limited to 100 yards be a severe handicap?  I feel like that should be plenty based on the research I have done so far.

Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Online Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: Shooting distances in the Sherman unit
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:42 PM »
Just stay in the brush   :chuckle: :chuckle:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »
I'd bring them both.

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
I'd bring them both.
:yeah:
There's a variety of terrain and brush/trees. I've been where I can see hundreds of yards to 20 feet in front of me.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
I would bone up on my shooting skills and get comfortable with that 7 out to twice what youre thinking........that way 4-500 would be good.  If you glass a bunch, you can see them at a mile or more, so best be prepared for everything and then some.  Not suggesting youll need anymore than 4-500, or even that much, but it could work out that way.

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
Lots of timber with close shots and lots of clearcuts and meadows with shots over a mile of a guy chose to try them.  A guy can find any kind of hunt he wants in that unit.  I will be taking my 300 wsm Kimber Montana with a 2.5-8x scope and my 29” barreled 339 edge with a 5.5-22x56 NXS on top.  Doubt my Montana will see the light of day for how we hunt it.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
I would bone up on my shooting skills and get comfortable with that 7 out to twice what youre thinking........that way 4-500 would be good.  If you glass a bunch, you can see them at a mile or more, so best be prepared for everything and then some.  Not suggesting youll need anymore than 4-500, or even that much, but it could work out that way.

I spend quite a bit of time on the trigger with my 7mm.  I pretty much half my range/bench distances when hunting so I can assure an ethical shot.  Just a personal thing!  But yes, more trigger time and comfort will increase that range considerably!  To get to 500 I'd need to feel good at 1,000.  I am pretty confident at 500 to 600 on a bench right now.  I'm at about 12 inches once I hit 700 yards.  I'm at best a mediocre shooter.
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
Hate to bring both and end up leaving one in the truck while hunting, but that may need to be the case.  I like the weight and fast swing on the lever gun.

Good to know about the terrain and it will make sense to me once I get more time in the field come mid to late April when I start scouting.

In the mean time I will need to spend more time at the range (oh dang!)

Has anyone mounted a scout scope on a Marlin 1895?  I am thinking that would be a pretty cool set up.

- Chris Ledoux

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
7 will do all.  Marlin wont.  Plenty of areas where I have seen bears out 100-200 yards while archery hunting.  Also seen plenty bear much closer.  I am talking in timber as it can be quite open in many spots.  I would pack the big boy unless ya want the fun and challenge.  The marlin is a fun gun.  Plenty of bears that's a given.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
It's really not super hard to stalk spring bears. They are out grazing on the grass and just gorging themselves. Over the years I've gotten very close many times in the spring. Last time I had a spring tag I packed a rifle in my eberlestock pack and carried my muzzleloader on a sling in hopes of dropping one with the muzzleloader. That's what I'll be doing this year also up in Aladdin

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
I made a post about it but I’d gladly get you on some bears if I’m not out on a early fire or something. I’d bring the 45-70. My good buddy uses a 30-30 every year and his dad uses his recurve. I’ve used recurves or longbows for a while but am using a 30-30 for this fall or my bow. Long range stuff is fun but I think my favorite bear moments were when I could hear them breathing and shaking leaves. Not so favorite was calling in a mom with 3 cubs. Cubs didn’t pop up until I was calling and then I had 3 cubs running through the brush at me with a recurve and their mom hot on their tails. Had to stand up, yell, wave my arms, then realize momma was gonna eat me and fire my 357 in the air to stop em. Girlfriend got cool pictures at 40 yards though hahaha. But if you’re just going for meat and fur bring the 7mm.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 06:10:18 AM »
What a great offer!  I will shoot you a PM later this morning!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
Last year, every bear we saw was at 600 yds plus. We were hunting big canyons, and they were always moving.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
Great unit for the Marlin.

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
Last year, every bear we saw was at 600 yds plus. We were hunting big canyons, and they were always moving.

My experience as well hence my preference to my .338 Edge and a 300gr Berger at 3025fps for that area and spring bears.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
Good intel, and a great rifle!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
For me I think it would depend on how much time I had to hunt. That's a long drive for you, will you be making multiple trips? Or just going over once for a weekend? If it were me and time wasn't an issue I'd definitely use the Marlin. That would be way cool. But if I had limited time I'd probably want to have the ability to shoot 3 to 400 yards.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
It's the last day of the season, a monster boar is 200 yards away and you let it walk because you hunted with the Marlin. If you're OK with that take the Marlin.

Personally I'd want the rifle that give me the best odds. Those tags don't come along very often. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 06:48:09 AM »
Rob, the biggest factor in the decision is yours:  Do you want a bear as your primary “want” or do you want a bear with your Marlin?

Limiting yourself to the shorter range rifle will reduce the odds of getting a bear.  Bow hunters, re-curve hunters and muzzle folks make that kind of choice all the time.  So do fly fishermen, etc.  At times, for some of us, using the tool is more important than the harvest.

IMO using the Marlin does not have to reduce your odds by much.  Distance of shot is more a factor of personal hunting style than of terrain and vegetation.  Bow hunters kill the same kinds of game in the same terrain as long rangers.  Do you learn and do what it takes to get close or are you content with or maybe even prefer long shots?  You gotta know you, and if you do, you won't have regrets after the hunt no matter how it turns out.

If you have never killed a bear, I'd probably recommend taking the 7, and make getting that first one a priority over the tool, but if your mind is clear on the Marlin, you can be easy with your choice.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »
I'd bring them both.

Best advice I've seen here. There are places that you can't see 100 yards and a 1000 yard gun would be a handicap, at the same time there are places where you may see bear further than 1000 yards. I would definitely bring both guns and carry the gun that fits each area you hunt.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
I'd bring them both.

Best advice I've seen here. There are places that you can't see 100 yards and a 1000 yard gun would be a handicap, at the same time there are places where you may see bear further than 1000 yards. I would definitely bring both guns and carry the gun that fits each area you hunt.

Im all for that too, except for the part of me not comfortable leaving anything of value in the rig in these parts.....

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
I'd bring them both.

Im all for that too, except for the part of me not comfortable leaving anything of value in the rig in these parts.....

It's been mentioned by the author and now again about leaving something of value in a rig in Ferry County. I've done so literally a hundred times with zero worries and issues. I can't imagine it's changed that much over the last couple of years? Okanogan County had a *censored*tard trailhead vandal that was caught and apprehended immediately.   :dunno:

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
I’ve always got a couple guns in the truck. Same with fishing poles. Heck my snow shoes have been stuck in the snow in the back of my truck for a month or 2 now. I’ve never had an issue with locals. Once with some Canadians/meth heads that pulled a Hancock gate open and I caught em looking in my cooler. But during hunting season I usually keep everything covered up and locked. Still have the guns and fishing poles but under a blanket or bag or just in general out of sight out of mind. Most of the guys I’ve seen around town do the same, have a weapons rack in the window, or have a bed loaded with tools and such.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 06:34:30 AM »
I'd bring them both.

It's been mentioned by the author and now again about leaving something of value in a rig in Ferry County. I've done so literally a hundred times with zero worries and issues. I can't imagine it's changed that much over the last couple of years? Okanogan County had a *censored*tard trailhead vandal that was caught and apprehended immediately.   :dunno:

No offence intended to Ferry county on my part.  It has been drilled into my operating procedures since I was a kid that you never leave a firearm unattended in a vehicle if at all possible.  Location is irrelevant.  With the exception of areas that house meth heads, I would trust things of value out in the country 10x more than Bellevue or Redmond!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:45:51 AM by Rob »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 06:41:47 AM »
Rob, the biggest factor in the decision is yours:  Do you want a bear as your primary “want” or do you want a bear with your Marlin?

Limiting yourself to the shorter range rifle will reduce the odds of getting a bear.  Bow hunters, re-curve hunters and muzzle folks make that kind of choice all the time.  So do fly fishermen, etc.  At times, for some of us, using the tool is more important than the harvest.

IMO using the Marlin does not have to reduce your odds by much.  Distance of shot is more a factor of personal hunting style than of terrain and vegetation.  Bow hunters kill the same kinds of game in the same terrain as long rangers.  Do you learn and do what it takes to get close or are you content with or maybe even prefer long shots?  You gotta know you, and if you do, you won't have regrets after the hunt no matter how it turns out.

If you have never killed a bear, I'd probably recommend taking the 7, and make getting that first one a priority over the tool, but if your mind is clear on the Marlin, you can be easy with your choice.

Thanks for this and all the other similar thoughtful replies.  I fully understand and agree that bringing the Marlin will limit some potential shots.  The main question was more along the lines of, are there significant shot opportunities in this area for a shorter range firearm.  As an example, I have hunted the Selkirk's and the Blues - I would consider a short range firearm for the Selkirk's, but not the Blues!

I think I will bring both and figure out a way to lock up one of them while in the field - I have some ideas.

This has been a very helpful set of replies, thanks!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
I drew a spring Sherman tag and I am thinking about what rifle to bring.

I normally shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and I am comfortable to 200-300 yards with that gun (the gun can shoot much better than I do...)

I would really like to use my Marlin 1895 45/70 Gvt. Lever gun - for me that is a 100 yard gun. 

I don't know too much about the unit, but will being limited to 100 yards be a severe handicap?  I feel like that should be plenty based on the research I have done so far.
Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 04:51:32 AM »
Yep
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:13 AM »
yep
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 06:24:10 AM »
Its called hunting, use the 100 yard gun and enjoy yourself.    The stalk is where the endorphins kick in. 

Sidenote, Ive spent A LOT of time in Ferry, and my rig has never been tampered with.   Different kind of people.  That and I suppose those that tamper with rigs and get caught dont show up for work the next day. 

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »
  That and I suppose those that tamper with rigs and get caught dont show up for work the next day.

Ha!  I like that!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »
I lived in Curlew for 17 years. Bring both guns. I've shot at bears out to approx 800 yards with my 300 RUM and as close as 100 feet with my 450 Marlin.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal