collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Turkey Hunting in WA and looking to narrow down some spots.  (Read 3794 times)

Offline bhammac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Hey all.

Just moved to Western Washington. Have hunted turkey all my life in the Midwest and Appalachia, very excited for the opportunity to hunt the different varieties here in the state. 
From looking at reports on this forum and the state sites it seems like there isn't any birds around me.

Plan on hunting with some friends in Klickitat county this spring but am also interested in any and all information regarding the following areas:

1) Methow valley/Okanogan
2) Colville National Forest Area/NE Game units
3) Walla Walla area/SE game units

It's a lot of ground to cover but looking for any information to narrow it down a bit.

Would prefer more isolated spots and am willing to work harder to get in deeper to avoid other hunters but realize places like the NE is part of the hunt.
Plan on going out, camping, and then covering ground from there.

Thanks in advance! Happy hunting.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: New to Turkey Hunting in WA and looking to narrow down some spots.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Hard to tell you about the areas you have picked.  All have birds in them.  NE corner of the state Colville holds the biggest population of birds.  Kettle Falls, Davenport some areas to look at.  You can go just about anywhere and find birds there.  They are merriams.  Walla Walla area next best population of birds and rios.  They are just about everwhere there to.  Blue mountains a giid place to look to.  Okanogan not as many birds look around Twisp, Winthrop also Chelan and those are also merriams.   The whole eastern cascades has merriams but the are sparce and not heavily populated.  Hang out largely around orchards in Chelan and hay farms further south along the cascades.  They like to roost in the pines.  Mainly lodge pole pine that I have seen.  Other then that you know how to hunt turkey.  I probably couldn't help you out more in that area :chuckle:.  Also if you are interested we are having our annual NWTF banquet this coming Saturday and the Embassy Suites in Lynwood.  We are the only chapter on the west side if the state.  https://events.nwtf.org/470230-2019/mobile for tickets.  Come on out yave some fun and raise some money to Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:50:53 AM »
Certainly still in winter flocks, might find a hundred or more now.  South slopes starting to open up should start to see the break up soon.  You will find birds in all of the areas you mention, hunt on!!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:42 AM »
First Tom's showed up this morning.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:49:55 AM by PA BEN »

Offline Oncorhynchus spp.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
I’m new to turkey hunting as well, just started last fall on public land. I gave Walla Walla a go, but the birds were very hard to get to. That area needed a bit more work due to private land boundaries. I’m shifting my attention to the Methow Valley and NE this spring. Good luck bhammac.

Offline CougHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
How does hunting pressure in the NE compare to the SE? I'm a lot more familiar with the hunting in the SE, but I'm willing to travel a little more for better opportunity.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
How does hunting pressure in the NE compare to the SE? I'm a lot more familiar with the hunting in the SE, but I'm willing to travel a little more for better opportunity.

Just about everyone in the state knows to go to the NE for turkey. might be a little less on the opener since it is on a Monday.

Offline bhammac

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies all. Like any sort of hunting in new areas, it'll be trial and error for awhile. Been fun reading about all of you looking back on past seasons and snow.....good luck and thanks again.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
I'm just going to go to PaBen's house.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal