collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Half ton tire recommendations  (Read 5476 times)

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Half ton tire recommendations
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:34 AM »

Toyo M55s.   They aren’t cheap.   I’ve ran them for hmmmm 25+ years now.  3 different Dodges and one Ford.   It’s what the loggers use(d) almost exclusively.   I think they are the best of the best.

I worked for Les Schwab in the late 80's and we sold a ton of m 55's to the loggers to put on there crumies.  They wore like iron.  It was the shiz dizzle.  Toyo then changed rubber compoundand it they didn't get the life out of them like before.  Now that being said, still one of the best on the road. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »

Toyo M55s.   They aren’t cheap.   I’ve ran them for hmmmm 25+ years now.  3 different Dodges and one Ford.   It’s what the loggers use(d) almost exclusively.   I think they are the best of the best.

I worked for Les Schwab in the late 80's and we sold a ton of m 55's to the loggers to put on there crumies.  They wore like iron.  It was the shiz dizzle.  Toyo then changed rubber compoundand it they didn't get the life out of them like before.  Now that being said, still one of the best on the road.

I rode in a crumie, it was probably on M55's
they don't ride nice  :chuckle:

Online aer212

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 07:28:22 AM »
I got the tires and have a initial review already. I went in the wet heavy snow and they went good until the belly started dragging too much, so traction was great. They are slightly louder than the wild country they replaced but not enough to be a problem. Here’s what I don’t like, they seem like they are all over the road, like they roll on the sidewall or something. Not sure what I’m going to do about that yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:29:23 AM by aer212 »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
I got the tires and have a initial review already. I went in the wet heavy snow and they went good until the belly started dragging too much, so traction was great. They are slightly louder than the wild country they replaced but not enough to be a problem. Here’s what I don’t like, they seem like they are all over the road, like they roll on the sidewalk or something. Not sure what I’m going to do about that yet.
Which ones?

Online aer212

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
Cooper discoverer st maxx

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
Sometimes they will settle down after time. Sometimes not. That's why I hated Goodyear Progrades. Felt like driving on marbles.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
My goodyear duratracs are soft riding but were a lil squirmy at recommended pressure.  I put on a set of King Coilovers up front and shocks in rear and squirmy dissappeared.   Not saying to spend $2k to fix tire squirm but maybe leveling kit helps. 

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
m55,s are super tough if your gonna be in rock but with the hard rubber dont provide the best traction , the firestone revos are a good mix and the leswabb house brand snow tire is a great tire and provides great ice traction though it plugs up in mud . i can honestly say i'm never buying another toyo though. if your looking for a mud tire the bf goodrich mt would be a good choice imo . i like a shorter life span tire with better traction.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 04:26:34 PM »
Michelin LTX MS/2 are the best tire I have owned.  Very smooth and quiet running, long lasting and excellent in rain and snow.

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »
M55 hands down, bite up front cost and get them siped at 50%

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 05:45:00 PM »
Hankook Dyana-Pro 10 ply

Michelin LTX were the best tire I ever owned, Pretty much a straight highway tire. Great mileage if you take care of them.....
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »

I rode in a crumie, it was probably on M55's
they don't ride nice  :chuckle:
M55 ride fine. It's the crombie that rode like crap...  something about driving 50 over potholes to smooth out the ride has something to do with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
If you plan on driving in snow and ice, the M55 Open Countrys are HORRIBLE tires. They don't wear well. I owned them on my F150 and got rid of them. They are too hard of a tire unless you like wasting a lot of money on hype or very expensive name brands...
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 05:40:24 AM »
m55,s are super tough if your gonna be in rock but with the hard rubber dont provide the best traction , the firestone revos are a good mix and the leswabb house brand snow tire is a great tire and provides great ice traction though it plugs up in mud . i can honestly say i'm never buying another toyo though. if your looking for a mud tire the bf goodrich mt would be a good choice imo . i like a shorter life span tire with better traction.

I used to be a big Toyo fan. Good traction, good wear, great ride. All have gone downhill on last couple sets I bought. My AT2s got really slick at about 60 percent. The HTs on my Duramax were a bear to get smooth ones. Replaced 2 before they could get the vibration out. The Z900 ultras on my wifes car sucked. Replaced 6 of the 4 tires to try to get rid of the vibration couldn't do it. Schwabs stepped up to the plate though and swapped out for 4 Michelens and smooth as silk. Don't know what happened to Toyo but they aint what they used to be.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »
If you plan on driving in snow and ice, the M55 Open Countrys are HORRIBLE tires. They don't wear well. I owned them on my F150 and got rid of them. They are too hard of a tire unless you like wasting a lot of money on hype or very expensive name brands...

Arent you in Arizona, what do you know about snow and ice? :chuckle:

Funny how folks have complete opposite opinions.   Ive staked my life many times on these tires and I wont hesitate to do so in the future.  From Methow Winters to Colville Reservation roads and North Idaho roads, and now to the Yakima Basalt and routine trips on the firing center which often eats tires like candy. I commute 50 miles everyday now in the ice belt. Toss in a roadtrip to Utah, Eastern ORegon or Montana, WTH.  I drive in some serious crap. lol    It must just be my driving skills.  :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal