108 (71.1%)
I took the survey against changes
2 (1.3%)
I sent emails
19 (12.5%)
Ive done nothing because im lazy and/or dont care
23 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: STATEWIDE bear reg proposal 🤞  (Read 44219 times)

Offline HoytHunter24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: STATEWIDE bear reg proposal 🤞
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
For anyone interested, here is the location to sign up for all WDFW email lists

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/lists

Offline HoytHunter24

• Tracker
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
I am also not against getting the Grizzly bear off the endangered list. If the WDFW was able to somehow bring the predators to a reasonable level and stabilize our ungulate population then I feel like we may have room for some Grizzlies. But until the ecosystem gets a little more balanced, we have no room for them.

Not to mention how many tree huggers from Seattle will want to go hiking to see those bears and get mauled....

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
But until the ecosystem gets a little more balanced, we have no room for them.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
I also am not opposed to some grizzly inhabitation of the north cascades, IF they come back on the land naturally. B.C. has plenty of them (recently banned hunting of them), if they wonder into the Pasayten or the national park and the habitat can support them great. But capturing grizzlies from other ecosystems and dropping them on the landscape is not acceptable. The prey animals in these areas haven’t dealt with grizzlies in too many generations and a sudden influx is too drastic of a change. The populations of prey animals are struggling to adapt to the wolves +increase in lions and black bears.

We know the people pushing this have an agenda. The agenda is: with enough wild apex predators on the landscape humans will be phased out of the natural system of predator and prey. They are short sighted and ignorant or the realities of life and wildlife management. I don’t hate predators, I love that they exist, I just want them managed in a balanced proportion to the ecosystem that hunting is a part of.

And thank you to everyone writing in, it doesn’t take much from each individual but together our efforts do make a difference.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
I also am not opposed to some grizzly inhabitation of the north cascades, IF they come back on the land naturally. B.C. has plenty of them (recently banned hunting of them), if they wonder into the Pasayten or the national park and the habitat can support them great. But capturing grizzlies from other ecosystems and dropping them on the landscape is not acceptable. The prey animals in these areas haven’t dealt with grizzlies in too many generations and a sudden influx is too drastic of a change. The populations of prey animals are struggling to adapt to the wolves +increase in lions and black bears.

We know the people pushing this have an agenda. The agenda is: with enough wild apex predators on the landscape humans will be phased out of the natural system of predator and prey. They are short sighted and ignorant or the realities of life and wildlife management. I don’t hate predators, I love that they exist, I just want them managed in a balanced proportion to the ecosystem that hunting is a part of.

And thank you to everyone writing in, it doesn’t take much from each individual but together our efforts do make a difference.

other states tend to capture problem bears, they don't go out and capture bears that "behave" and never interact with people or livestock

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »

other states tend to capture problem bears, they don't go out and capture bears that "behave" and never interact with people or livestock

I don't mean to be flippant or instigate an argument but it that true or is that just something people say? I've never seen anything real one way or the other it just seems to be something bios wouldn't go for at face value.

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »

I don't mean to be flippant or instigate an argument but it that true or is that just something people say? I've never seen anything real one way or the other it just seems to be something bios wouldn't go for at face value.

@bigtex  - any knowledge on this one?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »
Think about the logistics and cost of a remote bear vs a problem bear.

Not only that but you have orgs like bearsmart advocating for transloction of problem bears instead of killing them.

http://www.bearsmart.com/managing-bears/relocation/
Relocation (translocation) involves capturing an animal and releasing it in a safer or more suitable area, away from potential conflicts with humans. Capturing and moving a bear is sometimes necessary and may be the only non-lethal option in busy human-use areas. Various factors should be taken into account before relocating a bear, including the age and sex of the animal, the type and location of conflict behaviour, choice of release site and the desired outcome of the translocation.

https://www.vitalground.org/problem-bear-relocation-cabinet-yaak/
The bear’s arrival occurred on April 28, 2018, when Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) officials relocated a young male grizzly from the Lake McGregor area west of Kalispell, Mont., to a remote drainage in the Yaak Valley region of the state’s northwest corner. According to a report from the Daily Inter Lake, homeowners had repeatedly seen the 3-year old bruin near Lake McGregor residences and the bear had eaten bird seed and garbage, prompting the FWP relocation. Transplanting a problem bear is customary practice for FWP and bear managers everywhere. What’s less common is the arrival of new grizzly genes in the Yaak, and that’s why this relocation effort has the chance to accomplish much more than keeping a bear out of the trash.

You can bet that the Cascades is "suitable habitat away from people"

Yup - its real
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:16:08 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
I'm no biologist but I wouldn't want to start a new population with bears that have a history of conflict. Sounds exactly like a recipe for disaster. That's a dumb policy.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
Sounds exactly like a recipe for disaster. That's a dumb policy.

Which puts it right up wdfw's alley

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »

@bigtex  - any knowledge on this one?
If we are talking about black bears, no WDFW does not go out and trap them in the woods just to move them around. WDFW only traps and removes "problem" bears. Such as the ones running through downtown Tacoma going through garbage. The bear will be trapped, darted, marked and released into the cascades, if it comes back and causes more issues its a dead bear.

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
I think they are speaking to the hypothetically trapped grizzly bear that is to be relocated to WA.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »
I am also not against getting the Grizzly bear off the endangered list. If the WDFW was able to somehow bring the predators to a reasonable level and stabilize our ungulate population then I feel like we may have room for some Grizzlies. But until the ecosystem gets a little more balanced, we have no room for them.

Not to mention how many tree huggers from Seattle will want to go hiking to see those bears and get mauled....

Self-correcting problem...  :dunno:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »
I think they are speaking to the hypothetically trapped grizzly bear that is to be relocated to WA.

100 percent of trapped and relocated grizzlies that I am aware of were problem bears. I guess that would make me assume they would be relocating problem bears to Washington  :dunno:

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
Well, lookie here.  i think maybe all of our crying for expanded spring bear opportunity may have done some good!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]