collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Your Favorite Brisket Recipe  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Your Favorite Brisket Recipe
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
how does it possibly take you guys 16-20 to reach 195? i always hit it by 10-12 hours no matter the size. seems like that long would just dry it out. and your rub isnt just for spices and flavor, your rub is supposed to create your bark to seal the juice in, what you use have a huge impact on the dryness of the meat, mainly your percentage of sugar.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 06:04:29 PM »
I have a question for you guys that say you "smoke" for 10 to 12 hours. Are continuing to add smoke the whole time or cooking it in the smoker after the meat reaches an internal temp of 140? Every book I've looked at regarding "smoking" says the meat won't absorb more smoke after 140.

Offline WSU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
For me “smoke” refers to temp and not the resulting smoke flavor from the extra hours.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
I did the smoke with the Bradley pucks for 4hrs, I figured that was enough smoke. After it got to the 160 temp I used the double foil and added a cup of beef broth and put it back in. I bumped the temp up to around 280 I think to get the heat thru the foil but I couldn't wait any longer after about 3 hours, we had to eat! I cut it in thin slices, the meat was a light brown all the way thru, no medium rare or anything like that. Turned out delicious and tender. Next night was left over French Dips and used the beef broth for the au jus, oh man the smoke flavor was awesome! I did notice the meat getting dried out on top after the first couple hours so I brushed some avocado oil on it. All I was using for the rub was Johnny's sprinkled on it and that was it. I would say the total time was probably close to 8-10 hours. The brisket was around 2.5lbs. Looking forward to trying it again.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »
I did the smoke with the Bradley pucks for 4hrs, I figured that was enough smoke. After it got to the 160 temp I used the double foil and added a cup of beef broth and put it back in. I bumped the temp up to around 280 I think to get the heat thru the foil but I couldn't wait any longer after about 3 hours, we had to eat! I cut it in thin slices, the meat was a light brown all the way thru, no medium rare or anything like that. Turned out delicious and tender. Next night was left over French Dips and used the beef broth for the au jus, oh man the smoke flavor was awesome! I did notice the meat getting dried out on top after the first couple hours so I brushed some avocado oil on it. All I was using for the rub was Johnny's sprinkled on it and that was it. I would say the total time was probably close to 8-10 hours. The brisket was around 2.5lbs. Looking forward to trying it again.

Sounds good. Next time let me know so I can round up the boys. Drinks on me. You are the official smoker now.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
how does it possibly take you guys 16-20 to reach 195? i always hit it by 10-12 hours no matter the size. seems like that long would just dry it out. and your rub isnt just for spices and flavor, your rub is supposed to create your bark to seal the juice in, what you use have a huge impact on the dryness of the meat, mainly your percentage of sugar.

I have never had a dry brisket.  I smoke at 120 ish for 4 hours before I turn the temp up to start cooking.  I slowly increase my temp based on the internal temp of the meat (example; meat is 110 degrees, I turn the temp on the smokerl to 160 till I hit 140 ish....then turn the smoker to 200 till I hit 180 and so on.  Usually finish with the smoker at 225 for an internal temp of 195-200.  I like it to warm / cook the meat evenly....if that makes sense.  Not sure if it really makes a differnce, but it works great.  Only down side Is I have to start the cook 24 hours before I want to eat.   I agree with the seasoning making the bark......that is why I use a mustard rub with my dry seasoning, I lay the rub on thick. 

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »

I have never had a dry brisket.  I smoke at 120 ish for 4 hours before I turn the temp up to start cooking.  I slowly increase my temp based on the internal temp of the meat (example; meat is 110 degrees, I turn the temp on the smokerl to 160 till I hit 140 ish....then turn the smoker to 200 till I hit 180 and so on.  Usually finish with the smoker at 225 for an internal temp of 195-200.  I like it to warm / cook the meat evenly....if that makes sense.  Not sure if it really makes a differnce, but it works great.  Only down side Is I have to start the cook 24 hours before I want to eat.   I agree with the seasoning making the bark......that is why I use a mustard rub with my dry seasoning, I lay the rub on thick.
i dont understand why though. muscle fiber , collagen and tissue dont break down until a IT of 180 so what exactly do you gain by extending the cook time so long at such a low temp?

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
I have a question for you guys that say you "smoke" for 10 to 12 hours. Are continuing to add smoke the whole time or cooking it in the smoker after the meat reaches an internal temp of 140? Every book I've looked at regarding "smoking" says the meat won't absorb more smoke after 140.
generally if you use smoke/chips for more then a few hrs you get a bitter taste

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
Where do y'all get your brisket from?  I looked at FM the other day and they only  had 1, for 70$.  Is that normal?

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
I was surprised at the price tag also. 2.5lbs was $25 I think. Central Market in Poulsbo. Maybe Costco has them. :dunno:

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
That's way over priced or you guys are remembering wrong.

I'm buying them around $3 a pound locally at cash n carry.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
It was a large piece so it could have been 3$ per pound.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
usually rub down and wrap in plastic the a day before, then let return to room temp while pre heating the smoker. Then once at 160-165 I wrap in foil and let cook to 190-195. Pull and let rest in cooler wrapped in a towel for an hour or so.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline grimace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
I haven't had a "dry" brisket yet either, I had one turn out like flank steak once but generally its really juicy. I use this web site as a good source    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style   for reference.

G

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter