collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?  (Read 8961 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »
Really thinking about picking up a 18/19 Colorado. For those of you that own them or work with them. Have they been pretty good trucks?

thanks in advance
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
Re: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
My neighbor has one with the Diesel and loves it, my hunting partner just bought a brand new Z71 crew cab with diesel.
elkaholic

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
I test drove the ZR2 version with the 3.6 V6, 308 HP. It has some very decent power. Made the Tacoma feel like a tinker toy when getting on the throttle. But then so did the 2017 Nissan have much better performance than the Toyota. I can't stand the way the Toyota searches for gears. The Torque band on the Chev is a little higher than I like, but still very good at the low end. Interior is much better than the Tacoma, but not as nice as the Honda Ridgeline. Vary capable truck, the $39k price tag was a little shocking.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
I own the previous body style, a 2010 and love it. Very reliable so far with almost 94k miles, however...

...from time to time i do google searches to see if there are any problems I should be watching out for. My last search last week I stumbled upon a problem with the current model. Something about vibration and a rumble that the current model has because of the design of the 8 speed auto transmission or the torque converter. Ive also heard the fullsize 1500 has a similar problem.

Might be something worth looking into before you buy.

If it was me, and I was buying new I would either get a Nissan Frontier or a Ford f150 based off what Ive casually gleaned off the internet.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
Thanks guys.

They have them down to about 28/29k right now with a few dealerships. The new incentives come out tomorrow so waiting on those to see what the out the door cost will be on them. I have been looking at the gmc canyon as well but liking the Colorado better.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
All of the info you're looking for is handily located right here on Hunt-WA.
 :chuckle:

ain't that the truth, everyone wants to defend their purchase...

So I got a 2016 Colorado.......  :tung:

KFhunter, what do you like or dislike about your Colorado?

I had a lot of problems at first, it took 3-4 trips to the dealer to chase down a wiring problem but once that was fixed I've really been enjoying it.  I read a lot of complaints about the seats but after a 3500 mile road trip to southern California and back I love them.  Make sure they fit you  :dunno:

I really like all the traction, torque management and stabilitrack stuff for daily driving, but when you need it off there's no way to turn it 100% off.  Yes, there's a dual zone switch to turn it off partially, then hold the switch longer and it supposedly turns it all off but it doesn't.   You have to remove a fuse.

I was hoping for better MPG. On the cali trip running 75 I got just a stitch under 20MPG, it fell off a cliff beyond 75 so I put cruse on 75. I also have the stock mud/snow tires not a highway tire.

transmission sucks.  It shudders and doesn't shift right because it's trying to save fuel all the time, so it's always a gear or two too low on a motor with no torque and falls on it's face a lot then you have to slam the throttle to get it to down shift.   Very annoying but fixable with a tune or throttle doohickey I did some reading about :dunno:  The V6 is a good motor but it's not about torque.  It's a direct injection Camaro motor

I think I got a lot more bang for the buck with the Colorado VS the Tacoma, but maybe not after resale as the Tacoma will retain value better.  I got a 2016 Z71 trail boss.   The new ZR2 is very interesting though, 8 speed transmission, lockers and more ground clearance.  Wish I would have waited.

If you search my posts I've written quite a bit last few years about this Colorado in a lot of different threads.

I got 50k on it now, and after the wiring issue on the truck when it was brand new I just had one other issue with a smog control item, just fixed it last week. 

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0496-chevy-colorado/

P0496

Pretty much all the gas Colorado's are going to have this and it's not limited to just Chevy, lot of manufacturers seem to use the same evaporation canister.  It was $48 bux at the parts store and literally 5 minutes to put it on.  I went and got my own reader for trouble codes, my daughters malibu is constantly throwing codes for this that and the other thing  :rolleyes:

The Cheby dealer wanted to charge me $110 bucks for diagnostics (even though I did that) and $200 ish to replace the canister.

seriously, the easiest thing to fix

other than that I like the truck still,

but if I were buying brand new again I'd look hard at the Toyota TRD Pro and ZR2 Chevy Colorado,  I'd give the Ranger another year or two before I considered it.

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
My boss has one and he loves it.He lives on a huge steep hill and has no problems getting up it in the snow, and decent gas mileage.
That's what he told me when we were considering one- it doesn't have enough ground clearance for us though, we ended up getting a Ford F150, we needed more hauling capabilities also.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Don't get the Diesel, just a good way to spend more on fuel and maintenance.   

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
So KF THE ZR2 is the way to go to avoid having to do the switch deal you are talking about? The place I’m probably going to buy from has lifetime warranty but is 2hrs away and don’t want constant trips to fix stuff lol

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
the little diesel we have a work has 125k in 3 years with zero problems
-Matt

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Evap purge valves that KF is talking about go bad on a lot of vehicles. It's not a switch, it's a vent valve for the sealed fuel system. Everything newer has one, ZR2 or not.

I was thinking really hard about the Colorado/Canyon but sadly, the back seat is too small to work for us and our family's needs. (insert I have a giant child here) Otherwise, they seem to be pretty good trucks. My father in law has one and likes his a lot. Extended cab and no kids...
Same issue with the back seat of the Ranger. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
So KF THE ZR2 is the way to go to avoid having to do the switch deal you are talking about? The place I’m probably going to buy from has lifetime warranty but is 2hrs away and don’t want constant trips to fix stuff lol

Switch deal?  Not sure what you're asking  :dunno:

I bought the Z71 Trail Boss not realizing Chevy was coming out with the ZR2 soon, if only I had waited 6 months!    The ZR2 has front and rear lockers, my Z71 only has the rear locker and there's been a few times I wish I had front locker too, getting off camber in the snow and ice I needed all the wheels grabbing traction!   The ZR2 also has upgraded suspension which would be nice. 

The diesel adds weight to the front, costs more to own, costs more to fill up, doesn't enough better MPG to make it up and it pisses me off that you pay an additional  .30/gallon more taxes than gasoline.   

I don't need to tow anything, I have a Dodge Cummins for that, this is go to work and go hunt truck. 

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
My buddy bought a 2018 and it has left him limping home from hunting camp twice. Some kind of sensor wasn’t allowing his rig to start. Funny thing is that he bought it to replace the 1993 Chevy Silverado that left him hanging at elk camp the year before. I told him to give up and ride a bike instead.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
I own the previous body style, a 2010 and love it. Very reliable so far with almost 94k miles, however...

...from time to time i do google searches to see if there are any problems I should be watching out for. My last search last week I stumbled upon a problem with the current model. Something about vibration and a rumble that the current model has because of the design of the 8 speed auto transmission or the torque converter. Ive also heard the fullsize 1500 has a similar problem.

Might be something worth looking into before you buy.

If it was me, and I was buying new I would either get a Nissan Frontier or a Ford f150 based off what Ive casually gleaned off the internet.
What kind of engine do you have? I ask because I have a 2005 and the 4 and 5 cylinder engines that were in them had head problems that will rear up at about 100K. If you have the same engine as I have it is very expensive. GM extended the warranty to 100K and I got a new head free at about 85K. They told me they had reengineered the head and I would be good to go. The second one lasted about 135K. Ended up being a toss up whether the truck was worth fixing but I like it other than the engine so I bit the bullet and had it repaired.
Something for you to think about.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
By switch I meant swapping parts that you mentioned from the parts store for the factory one. Sounds like jackelope got me sorted either truck the work truck model or the upgrade z model will have it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan