collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?  (Read 8957 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »
I’ve always bought used and full size but don’t need a full size for this trucks nitch.
My big dodge is great but not needed for what I’m using it for so think I will sell it and get a mid sized truck for my running around.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:37 AM »
I own the previous body style, a 2010 and love it. Very reliable so far with almost 94k miles, however...

...from time to time i do google searches to see if there are any problems I should be watching out for. My last search last week I stumbled upon a problem with the current model. Something about vibration and a rumble that the current model has because of the design of the 8 speed auto transmission or the torque converter. Ive also heard the fullsize 1500 has a similar problem.

Might be something worth looking into before you buy.

If it was me, and I was buying new I would either get a Nissan Frontier or a Ford f150 based off what Ive casually gleaned off the internet.
What kind of engine do you have? I ask because I have a 2005 and the 4 and 5 cylinder engines that were in them had head problems that will rear up at about 100K. If you have the same engine as I have it is very expensive. GM extended the warranty to 100K and I got a new head free at about 85K. They told me they had reengineered the head and I would be good to go. The second one lasted about 135K. Ended up being a toss up whether the truck was worth fixing but I like it other than the engine so I bit the bullet and had it repaired.
Something for you to think about.

I've got the 3.7 I5. I believe the problem you are talking about was common in the earlier models, 04-07. The I5 was also a 3.5 in those early years. Those earlier models I have read also had numerous electrical issues.

I forgot that one problem I have had is the tachometer and later the temp gauge went out. The fix was to pay chevy to install a new instrument cluster to the tune of $900 or so is what I have read. (They have to reprogram in the correct miles driven).  Or, you could try to find some "stepper motor", which move the tach and temp needles and solder them in to the stock instrument cluster. I ended up buying a Scangauge II and mounting it below the temp controls in the center of the dash. It looks sano and a casual glance down gives me a temp reading as well as the rpm's, estimated gas mileage and speed I am driving.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
If you plan to tow anything substantial and find a hill

Notice it says M3, trying to keep the revs down.  I did put my foot in it to get around a geo metro, otherwise it was saying 4-5 MPG

(there was a gas station at the top of the hill  :chuckle:  )

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:09:20 PM by KFhunter »

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »
Don't get the Diesel, just a good way to spend more on fuel and maintenance.
Get the diesel, I just took delivery this morning and averaged 25mpg running around in town  :chuckle:

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
Get the diesel, I just took delivery this morning and averaged 25mpg running around in town  :chuckle:
diesel is cheaper for me..
i got 32 average on my trip to idaho to go bear hunting  :tup:

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
diesel is cheaper for me..
i got 32 average on my trip to idaho to go bear hunting  :tup:
Nice!  I'm still getting over 20 mostly in-town driving, but plan some trips soon that should really give me a chance to hypermile it. 

I love the ZR2 for the ride and comfort.  Yesterday I picked up 3 full sheets of plywood in the 5.5' back and with the tailgate down it handled them easily.  My only complaint is that the bed is just a little too narrow to take a 4' wide sheet so I had to put one side up on the wheel well.  I've got an ARE topper coming in June to match the truck, then it's our first long drive to MN and back.  Looking forward to it with this truck.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »
On my road trip a canopy would have been nice, I got the trail boss package with the light bar but I'm thinking about taking that off and getting a canopy and moving my factory lights to a ditch light bracket

I found some brackets for dual ditch lights I think will work good with my factory lights in the trail boss package.  (they are bright!)

Chevrolet wants $1,000 for those lights if someone were fool enough to order them separately  :o

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
I wonder what the front axle weight difference is with the diesel vs gas? 

If both trucks were identical wheel base etc

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
On my road trip a canopy would have been nice, I got the trail boss package with the light bar but I'm thinking about taking that off and getting a canopy and moving my factory lights to a ditch light bracket

I found some brackets for dual ditch lights I think will work good with my factory lights in the trail boss package.  (they are bright!)

Chevrolet wants $1,000 for those lights if someone were fool enough to order them separately  :o
I hate the headlights so far, they are very weak and have a flat top of the reflector that cuts them off sharply.  I have a camel back type hill on my street, not steep at all on either end, and the headlights get chopped so you can only see 20-30 feet!! and above that is a sharp black line with no light projecting forward.  Going 30 I could easily miss a dog or person crossing in front of me 40 feet away, leaving me with zero time to stop.

I wish they put fog lights on the ZR2 or sold the Bison front bumper as an upgrade.   I'm already looking into upgrading the light bulbs in the headlights, but even brighter, I'm not sure it would fix the problem.  I would love to add some fog lights or ditch lights like you describe as well. I'll probably do it when I get a front hitch installed for a warn winch.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »

I hate the headlights so far, they are very weak and have a flat top of the reflector that cuts them off sharply.  I have a camel back type hill on my street, not steep at all on either end, and the headlights get chopped so you can only see 20-30 feet!! and above that is a sharp black line with no light projecting forward.  Going 30 I could easily miss a dog or person crossing in front of me 40 feet away, leaving me with zero time to stop.

I wish they put fog lights on the ZR2 or sold the Bison front bumper as an upgrade.   I'm already looking into upgrading the light bulbs in the headlights, but even brighter, I'm not sure it would fix the problem.  I would love to add some fog lights or ditch lights like you describe as well. I'll probably do it when I get a front hitch installed for a warn winch.

I thought all ZR2s had Driving lights below the headlights?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
adjust your projectors up a bit   :dunno:

Adjust them too far up and you'll get everyone high beaming you.  I use my fog lights a lot .

I'm also putting in a single light bar in the bumper and everything will be tied to my high beam power, so when I dim all the LED addon lights will go off but fog lights stay on.

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »

Adjust them too far up and you'll get everyone high beaming you.  I use my fog lights a lot .

I'm also putting in a single light bar in the bumper and everything will be tied to my high beam power, so when I dim all the LED addon lights will go off but fog lights stay on.
Yeah I was thinking that might be the trade-off.  I have to go to the dealer for my plates and spare keys in a couple weeks, I'll get them to do it.  Here's a couple pics from today to illustrate. 

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »
super easy to do HID retrofits since they have projectors  :tup:

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »
super easy to do HID retrofits since they have projectors  :tup:
I've been looking at them, some seem to need to modify the existing projector, some fit right in but cost like $150.  Also thinking about fog lights, but I am still holding out for the bumper upgrade that includes winch and fog lights.  Hoping AEV can sell it though it doesn't appear they are.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »

Yeah I was thinking that might be the trade-off.  I have to go to the dealer for my plates and spare keys in a couple weeks, I'll get them to do it.  Here's a couple pics from today to illustrate. 

That line or sharp edge at the top there is pretty much normal for everything these days it seems. My Explorer does it too. It's annoying as hell.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand