collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?  (Read 8966 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Chevy colorado owners? Yall happy with them?
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
I've had one for 44k so far. V6 LT Crew Cab

The only downsides I've had thus far have been squeaky suspension/brakes which seems to be an issue with these. Theres a TSB on the leaf springs that are the cause of some of it, something about dirt getting between the leaves causing the squeaking. The other is just the friction points between the brake pads/calipers. It isn't exactly a big thing but its annoying depending on the road you're on.

I get about 22-24mpg depending... around 18 or so if I'm staying in the city. I was getting more like 20 and 26 with the stock tires.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

friction point between pads and calipers?

I had to replace my left rear brake, it chewed it all the way to the metal and scored the disk.  All three of my other brakes were fine with lots of life left, but that drivers side rear brake hung up and was difficult to slide back and forth, there was no float like it should.

I used a small dab of anti seize when I reinstalled it where the pads are suppose to float for even wear.

I pressure washed my leaf springs and right now I don't seem to have any squeaks, but I did for a while and it was annoying.  I put a jack under the reciever hitch and remove all the weight off the axle and lift it up then spray everything I can reach with focus on the leaf springs. 

YMMV

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
The power steering pump went out in my dads and the pump alone was $900
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
when i was looking at trucks, the new ranger was something i was interested in.. after checking out some colorado's i stopped by the ford dealership.
no 4 door full size bed on the ranger was the turn off for me.
the zr2 would have been in my driveway if you could do a full size bed 4 door.. so i settled for the z71.

Sounds like you and I were in the same boat. I was wanting to hold out for the Ranger before I bought, but when they didn't give me the crew cab with 6' bed I decided the Colorado was the winner over the Tacoma.

I bought a 2016 Z71 in December and have put about 10k on it. Been very happy with the truck, it's a great size around town and gets good mileage on the highway during longer trips. I tow a 19' Alumaweld with it also and hardly know the boat is back there. Very happy with my purchase.

Great looking truck. Have you put any full sized people in the back seats? I think I wish there was more leg room.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
when i was looking at trucks, the new ranger was something i was interested in.. after checking out some colorado's i stopped by the ford dealership.
the zr2 would have been in my driveway if you could do a full size bed 4 door.. so i settled for the z71.

Sounds like you and I were in the same boat. I was wanting to hold out for the Ranger before I bought, but when they didn't give me the crew cab with 6' bed I decided the Colorado was the winner over the Tacoma.

I bought a 2016 Z71 in December and have put about 10k on it. Been very happy with the truck, it's a great size around town and gets good mileage on the highway during longer trips. I tow a 19' Alumaweld with it also and hardly know the boat is back there. Very happy with my purchase.

Great looking truck. Have you put any full sized people in the back seats? I think I wish there was more leg room.
ive had 3 people in the back seat of mine. two adults and 1 kid.
it may not be full size truck back seat room, but ill tell you what, its a world of difference from my access cab tacoma  :chuckle:

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
i'll try and get some pictures up of the light output of the new headlights.
stock left a lot to be desired... i dont get why companies will go to projectors, only to run halogens still. oh well.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »

Thanks! I've had my wife, mom, and 2.5yr old in the back in his car seat. Wasn't a long trip, but they all fit. 3 full size adults might be tough depending on how "full" size they are. For reference my wife is like 5'2" and my mom maybe 5'5". A full size crew cab Silverado definitely has more room, but for 99% of the driving we do, the Colorado is perfect sized. I wanted to go with a full size truck, but with most driving being city oriented and the Colorado having plenty of tow capacity for my needs, I couldn't justify the lost fuel mileage when jumping up to the V8 or the extra cost.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
I've had one for 44k so far. V6 LT Crew Cab

The only downsides I've had thus far have been squeaky suspension/brakes which seems to be an issue with these. Theres a TSB on the leaf springs that are the cause of some of it, something about dirt getting between the leaves causing the squeaking. The other is just the friction points between the brake pads/calipers. It isn't exactly a big thing but its annoying depending on the road you're on.

I get about 22-24mpg depending... around 18 or so if I'm staying in the city. I was getting more like 20 and 26 with the stock tires.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

friction point between pads and calipers?

I had to replace my left rear brake, it chewed it all the way to the metal and scored the disk.  All three of my other brakes were fine with lots of life left, but that drivers side rear brake hung up and was difficult to slide back and forth, there was no float like it should.

I used a small dab of anti seize when I reinstalled it where the pads are suppose to float for even wear.

I pressure washed my leaf springs and right now I don't seem to have any squeaks, but I did for a while and it was annoying.  I put a jack under the reciever hitch and remove all the weight off the axle and lift it up then spray everything I can reach with focus on the leaf springs. 

YMMV

I'm going to try that when I do the calipers.

What I mean is where the ears of the pads slide into the clips. My squeak gets much worse with light brake application. Its not so bad just going down the road(and a completely different squeak tbh)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »

Thanks! I've had my wife, mom, and 2.5yr old in the back in his car seat. Wasn't a long trip, but they all fit. 3 full size adults might be tough depending on how "full" size they are. For reference my wife is like 5'2" and my mom maybe 5'5". A full size crew cab Silverado definitely has more room, but for 99% of the driving we do, the Colorado is perfect sized. I wanted to go with a full size truck, but with most driving being city oriented and the Colorado having plenty of tow capacity for my needs, I couldn't justify the lost fuel mileage when jumping up to the V8 or the extra cost.

Mostly I’m concerned with leg room for my really tall kid on road trips and the like. By really tall, I mean she’s 11 and 5’8” tall and maybe an inch or 2 more. It would be our primary road trip mobile and we do a lot of road trips.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
My sons GF was 6'1" and rode back there for 1000's of miles, she was tall for it no doubt but young and flexable so no complaints.

Young and tall not as big a deal as old and tall

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
Thought I’d post a few pictures of my upgraded headlights. For under 150 bucks I’m very happy. Sorry for the terrible pictures. It gets dark so late I’m hardly out driving in the dark now. Just a few from my street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal