collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: choke help??????  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Aaron bosley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
choke help??????
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »
i am new at Turkey hunting. i need a little help with buying a new choke for my 12 gauge mossburg. i was thinking about the primos tightwad, truglo gobble-stoper, or HS under taker???? what would be the best one for a newb???? thank you and good hunting

Aaron bosley

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
Re: choke help??????
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
The only true way to know which will work best in your gun is to try them out with different loads to see which combo produces the most consistent pattern at a given range.  I know that my 870 is good out to about 35 yds with a 3" Federal shell using #5 shot with a Primos Jelly Head.  My wifes Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag likes Remington Nitros with the factory choke and it's good out to 40 yds.  I think that you'd be fine with any of those chokes.  Just remember to pattern them.

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
Depends on what size shot you plan on using.  Most chokes have retriction sizes....like .655 etc that they recommend using with various sizes of shot.  As an example one of the guns I shoot a winchester 1300 with a Kick's Gobbling Thunder on it with a .655 choke size for 6's which I perfer.  Death machine...to say the least.
Remember to shoot at the neck head area..........
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Aaron bosley

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »
what size shot is a good over all. i am thinking about getting the truglo gobble-stoper.

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
They all will work.  Just depends on what your gun likes.  I chose 5 to split the difference between more pellets and bigger pellets.

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
I perfer 6's....it's a numbers game......the more pellets coming out the end of the barrel and choke equates to more pellets hitting the neck and head.  Size of the pellet is relative to me as I never shoot over 30-35 yards, so I'm not looking for more mass.  Just an ethical thing with me...potential wounded turkeys are not my cup of tea.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:51 AM »
Depends on what size shot you plan on using.  Most chokes have retriction sizes....like .655 etc that they recommend using with various sizes of shot.  As an example one of the guns I shoot a winchester 1300 with a Kick's Gobbling Thunder on it with a .655 choke size for 6's which I perfer.  Death machine...to say the least.
Remember to shoot at the neck head area..........

Death Machine?? What is happening to you Wacenturian...I don't know you you've become.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
Wacenturian, We are going to be at a great disadvantage this spring?  With your death machine and new custom calls......we will need to call up Luke and Ben Skywalker for help to hold our own!!  :chuckle: :chuckle:
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:30 PM »
If you have a back bored barrel witch i think mossburg  is you want to go with a .680 choke. I have a MAD MAX by drury game calls works great.
If it flies it dies.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »
Wacenturian, We are going to be at a great disadvantage this spring?  With your death machine and new custom calls......we will need to call up Luke and Ben Skywalker for help to hold our own!!  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Sometimes the new toys of a preseason are as much fun as the season...lol.  Just ask Yelp about our 2008 Whitetail hunt. :chuckle:

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
The cape and invisible jet were a little much for a deer hunt.  The xray glasses were fun however...LOL
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline Aaron bosley

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
what is the differance from "T" shot for gooose and turkey load???

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
T is big. Not sure exactly what size but sort of like 4 buck. You use bird shot for turkeys. Normally 4-5-6. T shot is not a good idea.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
Okay guys let me throw a wrinkle in this question. If you are only hunting for a full size mount what should you use so as to not destroy the bird for mounting?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
Tough question..I would consider shooting it with a bow or a 20 gauge.  If you are planning on using original head and have it freeze dried.  If not the fake heads are very realistic..Then it wouldn't matter..I am not a taxidermist however.  One of the biggest mistakes is not cleaning the head after you kill it and keeping it moist and covered.  Many guys that have great mounts also get them to the taxidermist that day... :twocents:

Born to Yelp!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal