collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suiattle trail questions  (Read 4977 times)

Offline BB11b

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Suiattle trail questions
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Hey y’all, I’m looking to go for a backcountry style mule/black tail/whitetail deer hunt. Looking at headed up the Suiattle trail heading towards the Entiats. Looking for any tips or advice on hunts and weather. Just trying to be prepared. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Suiattle trail questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
Well...almost 80 views and no replies should tell ya something...guess I'll be the nice one to say something first...if your asking about weather/trail conditions etc regarding the Suiattle to Entiat (Spider Meadows) route that tells me that maybe you haven't done a ton of "internet" research yet, so I suggest Googling the "Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) section K" that will give you some idea of the remoteness and planning needed for the hunt you thinking of.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
Most folks won't speak openly about the locations and the information they've learned...in my opinion, what you're asking for is way too specific to get open answers posted on the web. Don't take it personally...first rule of the high hunt is to not speak about the high hunt.
 :tup:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
I can't speak to that section of trail, but I can speak to weather conditions between September 15-25. You can sunny and 70, and you can have whiteout blizzard. This last year on the 2nd weekend of the high hunt it rained a foot, almost literally, in the area that we packed into. Have never been that wet.

Basically, you need to monitor the weather forecast in the days prior to your departure and be prepared for anything. That is deep, wild country and if you get in a pinch it could be bad.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »
Most folks won't speak openly about the locations and the information they've learned...in my opinion, what you're asking for is way too specific to get open answers posted on the web. Don't take it personally...first rule of the high hunt is to not speak about the high hunt.

I’ll take that as I’m in the right area then haha. Thank you. I wasn’t looking for any specifics but just seeing as to what type of deer I will find more of.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

I’ll take that as I’m in the right area then haha. Thank you. I wasn’t looking for any specifics but just seeing as to what type of deer I will find more of.

Oh I wouldn't take anything I say as being worth a darn. I've never been there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Well I have been there. If your looking for trail conditions or reports go on NW Hikers and do a search. If you are looking for animal status, reports, places to hunt good luck there as that is privy info kept under ones hat. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 09:09:53 AM »
You will find Blacktail on the westside with maybe a mule deer mixed in. Up on the Crest Trail, you'll find both, and the further east you head the more Mule Deer you'll encounter and less Blacktail. There are whitetail in the Entiat, but mostly way down near the Columbia, and very few of them.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
You will find Blacktail on the westside with maybe a mule deer mixed in. Up on the Crest Trail, you'll find both, and the further east you head the more Mule Deer you'll encounter and less Blacktail. There are whitetail in the Entiat, but mostly way down near the Columbia, and very few of them.

I would add Benchleg Deers as well.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »

Awesome thank you. That’s mainly what I wanted to hear.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »

I would add Benchleg Deers as well.

What is a benchleg deer hahaha

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:22 AM »
No one in Wa state shoots benchleg blacktail.  That is unless it's a monster buck then it is instantly deemed benching.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
A benchleg is dumpster fire of controversy thats what it is.

Technically it is a cross between a Mule Deer and a Blacktail. They're quite common in the Cascades. Anyone that kills a big blacktail is instantly scrutinized and called a liar, because obviously any large blacktail is a benchleg.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »
A benchleg is dumpster fire of controversy thats what it is.

Technically it is a cross between a Mule Deer and a Blacktail. They're quite common in the Cascades. Anyone that kills a big blacktail is instantly scrutinized and called a liar, because obviously any large blacktail is a benchleg.

Well alrighty then. They’re legal to shoot too huh

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »

So do they fall under black tail or Muley legal status for harvest? Haha

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
That area is commonly approached via Buck Creek during high hunt. Going up the Suiattle and thence to Image Lake gives access to that high country and the area of the Bath Lakes high route. The Buck Creek approach is marginally better for access towards Holden and the Pass No Pass and High Pass high country.

Getting into the Entiat drainage from either the Lyman, Phelps, Buck or Suiattle will be a test.

I hope that somewhat helps.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
That area is commonly approached via Buck Creek during high hunt. Going up the Suiattle and thence to Image Lake gives access to that high country and the area of the Bath Lakes high route. The Buck Creek approach is marginally better for access towards Holden and the Pass No Pass and High Pass high country.

Getting into the Entiat drainage from either the Lyman, Phelps, Buck or Suiattle will be a test.

I hope that somewhat helps.

Yeah I can see why most people would come in from that way. I’m not most people hahaha I am willing to go far and deep and through the tough stuff. Plus I like the idea of having the opportunity of choosing or seeing two different species. So thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »

It depends on what side of the PCT they are standing when you kill them. West side - Blacktail, East side - Mule Deer.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm stubborn but not so stubborn I would access the Entiat from other than the Entiat trailhead.    Also I see you were asking about whitetail.  There are none there unless you carry a can of paint to paint tails.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »

It depends on what side of the PCT they are standing when you kill them. West side - Blacktail, East side - Mule Deer.

Ok awesome. That’s good to know just in case.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
I'm stubborn but not so stubborn I would access the Entiat from other than the Entiat trailhead.    Also I see you were asking about whitetail.  There are none there unless you carry a can of paint to paint tails.

It’s not stubbornness it’s just hunting more area and enjoying the scenery haha. Ok I wasn’t sure if they ever venture that high or not.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
This is a link to Roland Tabor and the late Dwight Crowder’s classic “Routes and Rocks” now in the public domain as it was written by USGS  employees. Some of the routes no longer exist because they relied on sheep trails and the book was written 50 years ago when alpine herding was still common. But the info on high trails in the Bath Lake, High Pass, Massie, Phelps-Chiwawa divide and Leroy Creek routes is still very applicable.

https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/pacnw/pdf/routes_rocks_nomaps.pdf

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
This is a link to Roland Tabor and the late Dwight Crowder’s classic “Routes and Rocks” now in the public domain as it was written by USGS  employees. Some of the routes no longer exist because they relied on sheep trails and the book was written 50 years ago when alpine herding was still common. But the info on high trails in the Bath Lake, High Pass, Massie, Phelps-Chiwawa divide and Leroy Creek routes is still very applicable.

That’s *censored*! I will definitely be checking this out. Thank you very much.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

I've been on the sheep trail that goes from about Leroy Creek to over to the Chiwawa basin trail.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

I've been on the sheep trail that goes from about Leroy Creek to over to the Chiwawa basin trail.

Mind sharing your experience either here or on a PM? I’d love to hear it.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
It doesn't exist any more other than on old maps.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »
It's in Routes and Rocks

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
It's in Routes and Rocks

Where it references "a recent road (1955)", this predates the enclusion in,  or creation of the Glacier Peak Wilderness area.  I understand this was about 1963 and have heard of people that drove almost all the way up to Spider Meadow around 1960ish.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
It's in Routes and Rocks

Where it references "a recent road (1955)", this predates the enclusion in,  or creation of the Glacier Peak Wilderness area.  I understand this was about 1963 and have heard of people that drove almost all the way up to Spider Meadow around 1960ish.

That might have been illegal even then.   Prior to the creation of the Glacier Peak Wilderness, there was the Glacier Peak Wild Area.   Driving and road construction even then may have been limited to mining.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal