collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mossberg Turkey Guns  (Read 3702 times)

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Mossberg Turkey Guns
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:12:59 AM »
Hello, I’m looking for advice and/or user reviews on Mossberg shotguns. I’ve never had a dedicated turkey hunting shotgun and I’ve pretty much narrowed my search to Mossberg turkey guns.  I’m trying to make an educated decision on pump vs. auto, and stock design. I’m leaning towards the 535 or 835 pumps, but I’m also looking at the semi auto’s 930 & 935. I’m also sort of attracted to the pistol grip versions in both pump & semi auto, but I don’t think I would be able to use one in that config as a waterfowler, but that may not be a dealbreaker. Anyway, I’m curious to hear opinions on these shotguns from other turkey hunters.
Thanks
Cliff
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:49:24 AM by salish »

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: Mossberg Turkey Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
I picked up a Mossberg 835 just for Turks from a member on here
Seems to shoot just fine
Patterned well and like the sights

I have used an 870 for years and it did just fine as well though

I plan to use only the Mossberg this year
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:07:54 AM »
I have a Mossberg turkey gun , pump in camo. Darn thing ejects a live round out the bottom when I pump it. Tried changing ammo ,no help.
Went to a  o/u or my Benelli auto.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
One thing I learned was use the gun that is going to be quietest in the woods. Nothing like the action slamming shut when you load up at legal time. I actually used a Mossberg from the 60's that's bolt action for this exact reason. Lets you set up super close and not worry about noise. So I might lean toward the pump for that factor. thats just my  :twocents:

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
Iv'e had an 835 since they came out.  Slayed many a duck and goose with it. Turned it into a slug gun and bought a Nova a few years back but don't really like it. Have killed a few Turks with it but I am going to swap out the barrel on the old 835 and use it.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »
835’s are good guns have shot one for years. 3 1/2” shells will rock the $&:” out of you. Stay with a 3” shell and do just fine.
Have never shot a 535 but I hear they kick like a mule as well.
500’s I have a 12 and a 20 both shoot great I for the most part shoot the 20ga now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noffles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
I have the 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo. I don't have much to compare it to, but I've shot Duck and Grouse with it (hopefully Turkey soon). I would describe the gun as effective but rough around the edges. Overall I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you really don't care and just want to be equipped to shoot any bird.

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:41:49 PM »
I've killed a lot of turkeys and coyotes with my 835 ultimag. they are good to go. Kicks choke FTW.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
One thing I learned was use the gun that is going to be quietest in the woods. Nothing like the action slamming shut when you load up at legal time. I actually used a Mossberg from the 60's that's bolt action for this exact reason. Lets you set up super close and not worry about noise. So I might lean toward the pump for that factor. thats just my  :twocents:
why do you load up at legal time?  Seems odd

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
Yeah I have no problem with my Sx3. I just hold on to the bolt handle, press the button and slowly close it. Never have had a problem. It is very quite, just as much as a pump would be.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
I'll make you a heck of a deal on a 935!

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »
I primarily shoot a 535 with the turkey barrel and sometimes a 930. I shoot a 3.5 shell from the 535. Some people say it kicks too much but I say shoot the max.

The 500/535 are light and good for the woods. The 835/930/935 with full size barrels are going to be noticeably heavier if you do any hiking with them.

The semi will soften the rounds but you won't notice when shooting a turkey because of the adrenaline. I do like the semi for waterfowl for faster follow up shots. But it's only a slight preference.

I can pepper a turkey target at 60 yards with the 535. I use a Carlson ported turkey choke.

Just avoid the tactical turkey models. The M4 style stock is pretty stiff.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
Thanks everyone, you've been super helpful. Based on everyone's responses, as well as what I've read in other forums, if I decide to go for it I will be leaning towards the 535 Turkey.  I do a heck of a lot more hiking than shooting so the lighter weight would be nice. I've only been hunting turkey for about 8 or 9 years and I've missed a year here and there, so my experience level is fairly low. I've only taken one bird in all that time, a Rio, and I shot him with my 1917 Model 12 16 gauge full choke with lead 6's, and a 2-9/16" chamber shell at that. I shot him at about 25 yards, give or take, and there were no issues with him dying (photo below). I would be happy to continue using some of my old shotguns but I'm now hunting with a buddy who has a super high-tech turkey gun shooting 3.5" shells and he can hunt in situations where I might be out of range. And I would just like to update my kit a little.

I'll be hunting next week with a Winchester Model 97 pump in 12ga, with a full choke, shooting high base #5's.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:56:10 AM by salish »

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »

I've been told, if your loaded then you could easily be accused of hunting before legal time. If you're unloaded than it's clear that you are not hunting simply getting to your spot. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I was recommended to NOT be loaded before legal time by a guide.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Mossberg...But they are not on par with a old hand fitted Model 12 with a fixed full.  Wonderful gun especially in 16ga

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Mossberg...But they are not on par with a old hand fitted Model 12 with a fixed full.  Wonderful gun especially in 16ga

Not much ammo available in 16 gauge. The newer choke/ammo combos are all 12/20.

I'll give him style points though for that Rio.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 05:17:30 PM »

Throw some Apex TSS 9’s through that 16ga it will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:12 AM »
Henrydog, I agree with you and there aren't many hunting shotguns that can compare, imho, especially the old nickel steel guns. They are quite different than later models in their feel and handling characteristics. I haven't hunted this particular 16ga much because of the short chambers, although shells aren't that hard to get. My go to upland gun for the past 20 years or so has been an 1914 vintage Model 12 in 16ga with a plain barrel. In that one I had the chamber lengthened and the choke opened opened up a bit. Tremendous chukar gun.

Offline roderickweise

• Pilgrim
  • Live to hunt and hunt to live.
    • https://www.facebook.com/roderick.weise
    • Personal website
  • Groups: Washington Open Carry.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 07:09:51 AM »

I've been told, if your loaded then you could easily be accused of hunting before legal time. If you're unloaded than it's clear that you are not hunting simply getting to your spot. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I was recommended to NOT be loaded before legal time by a guide.

Things might have changed since I took Hunter safety because that was almost 20 years ago but I remember being told that you can walk through the woods with your gun loaded and that was not considered hunting but if you shot something or discharged your gun before legal time that was considered hunting.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »

Throw some Apex TSS 9’s through that 16ga it will be great.

TSS in a 535 is even better. If you look at all the costs for turkey hunting a used 535 really isn't a big deal.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
Regarding TSS shells in my 16ga, I'm reasonably sure they don't make them in 2-9/16" shells. But if I end up buying a 5 35 I'll definitely keep them in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
Tag
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »

Things might have changed since I took Hunter safety because that was almost 20 years ago but I remember being told that you can walk through the woods with your gun loaded and that was not considered hunting but if you shot something or discharged your gun before legal time that was considered hunting.

Fair enough, I got this advice back when I lived in Maine 2 years ago and there they consider turkeys to be big game animals where we don't here so that might also have something to do with it as well.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
Fair enough, I got this advice back when I lived in Maine 2 years ago and there they consider turkeys to be big game animals where we don't here so that might also have something to do with it as well.

They can give you a ticket based on the equipment you are carrying so it doesn't matter if you have a round loaded. This is why you have to be careful when coyote hunting during modern. There was a case a while back where an officer didn't buy that a group was out coyote hunting.

But I wouldn't at all be worried during turkey. The odds of you running to an officer at 6 AM are nil. And I highly doubt you would get a ticket for walking to spot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]