collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Westside Pheasant hunting on the chopping block  (Read 19789 times)

Offline chukar14

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
Re: Westside Pheasant hunting on the chopping block
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
This is what WDFW does.  Threaten to cut programs people like so the masses will call their legislators.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:48 AM »
 I wonder what sort of price increase would be necessary in order to cover the cost of raising and releasing pheasants? They raised it to nearly $100 several years ago. Would $200 be enough? Potentially if it were that high they may not sell enough licenses. Personally I don't care if they eliminate the program. I don't think the state should be in the business of providing non-native birds for people to shoot. Let private clubs/companies provide that type of recreational bird hunting/dog training. The public areas are way too crowded and it's just not a good hunting experience. I've done it. I don't have a bird dog anymore but if I did I'd go east and hunt wild birds. Having said all that, if they could charge enough to pay for the program and better yet actually make money, then I'd support it.

Online birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
been to these sites and its combat hunting.. or combat put and take (not really hunting).
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
Bummer.  Although I can't really complain as it was more a fun thing to do than something I relied on.  I live 15 minutes from one of the release sites, and take my dogs down for a half hour to hour run through on weekday mornings before going back home to start my work day (I never go on weekends as the places are crazy then).  Usually could pop up a pheasant or two, worst case my dogs got to run around instead of having to walk them on a path with a leash around the neighborhood. 

I think most folks that use them frequently would pay a higher fee.  It's far cheaper than hunting a private pheasant preserve.   The hard part is for the state to figure out the math of diminishing returns: how high could they raise it before purchases reduced enough to where total revenue no longer grows.  I think bobcat is right, $200 could probably be sustained. 

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
I really think if the state dropped the program, private businesses would step in and more than make up for the loss of opportunity. It may cost a bit more but it would be worth it for those people who want to have a place to train their dogs and/or take their kids pheasant hunting.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »
It's been on the chopping block for years. People can have their own opinions and say what they want, but it was all we had an affordable way to train and give our next generation and dogs upland opportunity since wdfw can't seem or not want to improve habitat to sustain wild pheasant on the west-side.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »
People like it and use it.  I don't see why you'd advocate cutting it just because you prefer something else.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
Then charge them a fee high enough to cover the cost, just like a private business would do.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
Then charge them a fee high enough to cover the cost, just like a private business would do.

Them? We are all in this together. We WF&W
 should not be in the business of making a profit!
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
Got to cover the cost of wolves somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Here's all you need to know in one quote:

“If we bring in 15 percent more revenue, maybe we can restore it,” he said.

The commission wants to reduce the fee hike and get more money from Olympia - makes sense if you consider how much money WDFW spends on things like native chinook, orcas, wolves and other pet projects that are never hunted or fished for.

So, WDFW does what any WA government agency does - throws a fit and starts chopping stuff that will hurt.  Notice not one word of admin reductions, sharing expenses with other state departments, becoming more efficient, or reducing any program that has an environmental aspect - 100% of the cuts he mentioned are straight at hunters and anglers.

Scroll through the budget and you will see they are throwing buckets of money at orcas (>$12M) while wolf recovery gets a hefty $1M.

It's an obvious one-sided kick to the sportsmen - you pay for what we want to do or we yank your opportunity.  It's also no surprise they haven't announced the orca impact to chinook seasons until all of this blows over and licenses are bought.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
Here's all you need to know in one quote:

“If we bring in 15 percent more revenue, maybe we can restore it,” he said.

The commission wants to reduce the fee hike and get more money from Olympia - makes sense if you consider how much money WDFW spends on things like native chinook, orcas, wolves and other pet projects that are never hunted or fished for.

So, WDFW does what any WA government agency does - throws a fit and starts chopping stuff that will hurt.  Notice not one word of admin reductions, sharing expenses with other state departments, becoming more efficient, or reducing any program that has an environmental aspect - 100% of the cuts he mentioned are straight at hunters and anglers.

Scroll through the budget and you will see they are throwing buckets of money at orcas (>$12M) while wolf recovery gets a hefty $1M.

It's an obvious one-sided kick to the sportsmen - you pay for what we want to do or we yank your opportunity.  It's also no surprise they haven't announced the orca impact to chinook seasons until all of this blows over and licenses are bought.

Amen.  Closing a hatchery that funds almost solely commercial fisheries would pay for it.  Did anyone find that in the budget?  A large increase in commercial fees to pay for their share of the fish?  Didn't think so.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »

Should we apply this logic to all non-native hunting opportunities- like the Yakima elk herd?
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
Got to cover the cost of wolves somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well look on the bright side maybe the wolves will eat the coyotes
NATURE HAS A WAY

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]