collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Westside Pheasant hunting on the chopping block  (Read 19799 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Westside Pheasant hunting on the chopping block
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
Then charge them a fee high enough to cover the cost, just like a private business would do.

I'm all for that provided we also introduce a rule that hunting and fishing licenses as well as PR and DG money cannot be used for anything that doesn't directly benefit hunting and fishing opportunities.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
Here's all you need to know in one quote:

“If we bring in 15 percent more revenue, maybe we can restore it,” he said.

The commission wants to reduce the fee hike and get more money from Olympia - makes sense if you consider how much money WDFW spends on things like native chinook, orcas, wolves and other pet projects that are never hunted or fished for.

So, WDFW does what any WA government agency does - throws a fit and starts chopping stuff that will hurt.  Notice not one word of admin reductions, sharing expenses with other state departments, becoming more efficient, or reducing any program that has an environmental aspect - 100% of the cuts he mentioned are straight at hunters and anglers.

Scroll through the budget and you will see they are throwing buckets of money at orcas (>$12M) while wolf recovery gets a hefty $1M.

It's an obvious one-sided kick to the sportsmen - you pay for what we want to do or we yank your opportunity.  It's also no surprise they haven't announced the orca impact to chinook seasons until all of this blows over and licenses are bought.

Sooooo!? It appears they are biting the hand that feeds them.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
At the WWA meeting last night I learned something very interesting. Salmon Habitat restoration mandate does not have enough public Acres to meet the mandate. This means 2 things.  1 there will be more competition for the WDFW acres that  are not good salmon habitat conversions. 2 to resolve this problem of  confrontation between Duck hunters and Pheasant hunters it is easier to do away with the Pheasant release program. Its a shame that PF west side chapters have not engaged this issue WITH waterfowlors. 

I enjoyed taking my kids out Pheasant hunting at the old DNR Bow Hill site. it was less combat huntign than i experienced at other "field" areas like Leque, and Ebey Islands. They got more Trips out than I could schedule  taking them to E wa. Recruitment is an issue and the Department is competing with all manner of other activities.

The real question will be how many barriors will they put up to sportsmen that want to use the decreasing acreage for "Training" purposes in the off season?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
Then charge them a fee high enough to cover the cost, just like a private business would do.

I'm all for that provided we also introduce a rule that hunting and fishing licenses as well as PR and DG money cannot be used for anything that doesn't directly benefit hunting and fishing opportunities.

Would any of the WDFW programs that involve "planting" of any species survive if license fees had to cover the cost? Like hatchery fish harvest?
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
I imagine the hatchery and habitat/access program would survive just fine on fishing license sales and DJ money.  WDFW gets a bunch of matching revenue for fishing and hunting programs as well as stuff like duck stamps, tribal money and labor, matching grants and money from non-profits (trout unlimited, RMEF) as well as volunteer hours.

The North American conservation model relies on hunters and fishermen to pick up the lion's share of the tab.  It happens through licenses, organizations funded by hunters and fishermen as well as DJ and PR tax money paid by hunters and fishermen and those that buy shooting and fishing stuff.

Offline REHJWA

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
It's all about the oppertunities. The west side pheasant release provides local oppertunities for people who can't  afford the time to make a trip for wild birds or afford a game farm hunt. I like having a chance to get the dogs out.

Offline riflehunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
Not only the dogs but what about our youth, there is few opportunities now a days for the youth to get out and experience hunting and be apart of the outdoors. Like what was said earlier with school and travel now a days its not easy to get kids to go to the east side to hunt or pull them out of school all the time to go. If we take opportunities away then it will be a dying sport and opportunity that i don't want to miss out on. I have dreamed for a long time to go out with my sons and enjoy hunting opportunities but now they are just being taken from us. I know there is other options out there but i cant think of a better way to start or teach for that matter

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »
i always enjoyed the old timers out walking the fields in the afternoons.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
With all the talk about shortfalls and cutting popular programs(to torture the masses into calling their legislators to authorize moar money).  I find it less than amusing that there is no talk of removing the people who blew out the budget and caused the shortfalls in the first place. When you run a company into the ground normally you get fired or declare bankruptcy instead of crying that you need moar money. Instead of spending a fortune on wolf and grizzly management and being hell bent on destroying hunting opportunities it is time to focus on the real problem which is that the WFDW is being poorly run. I wonder how much of the monies received from the Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act that hunters pay for when they buy a firearm or ammo is going toward the wolf and grizzly misguided fiasco? There was a reason that wolves were wiped out before. If you want to see one now, go to the zoo or museum. Humans come first and with the huge population explosion of human beans in the past hundred years it is time to recognize once again that there should be a bounty back on the wolves.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
 :yeah:
I'm pretty sure what they paid the wolf/conflict consultant (for  :dunno:) could have paid for westside pheasant opportunities for many hunters for quite a while.

:bash:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline B4noon

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 05:54:59 AM »
[quote

Would any of the WDFW programs that involve "planting" of any species survive if license fees had to cover the cost? Like hatchery fish harvest?
[/quote
Actually trout hatcheries are the bread and butter of the agency and generate more then enough revenue through license sales to be self sustaining and then some  Problem is instead of the money generated going back to the operation it falls in the hands of administrators who use it for other expenses and programs that have little to do with the backbone of the agency because their other programs dont generate revenue.  The first thing they threaten every 2 years are recreational user programs because they know were the only ones that give a *censored* and are passionate about what our traditions are not just lost snowflakes trying to follow a cause to find our place in the world.  Legislature needs to give directive that core agency functions will be fully  funded and non negotiable and if wdfw cant manage money quit creating more WMS and administrative positions they need a major overhaul in NRB and clubbing recreational opportunities like a baby seal is not the answer.  Every program wdfw runs such as the pheasant program could cover it's own cost however for every $ spent they tack on a 32% indirect overhead fee to fund management therefore If the program actually cost $1,000,000 to operate they charge $1,320,000 and use the $320,000 to fund the non funded admin positions they have managed to create over the years. This is the practice that needs to stop that's why they have no heartburn paying a wolf expert a crazy amount of money.  Funding is not coming out of their pocket they get the funding for that program elsewhere and then tack on 32% for themselves the more the pay the more they make.  If you talk to legislators ask them to fully fund recreational opportunities with a directive that management must be reined in.  Legislators are fully aware of wdfw top heavy practices and understand the economic impact having recreational opportunities have on communities throughout the state. They want to play ball and make our traditions a sacraficial lamb to get funding for their "enhancement" packages and special projects force the hand and let's not make it a negotiable game which had been played for years lrecreational license buyers it's time to say enough

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »
"How that plays out will determine what gets cut and what gets saved in the coming two years and probably longer."
This is the last line in the article.

It is sad that they are removing the pheasant release program but I truly believe this article deserves a read with bot eyes open. The WDFW is running itself into the ground and we are going to suffer from this. It's time to elect the correct people into office that can actually make a change in the misuse of our public dollars. Contact your Pheasants forever chapter and Ducks Unlimited, RMEF. Talk to your friends about getting a Republican Governor that is fiscally responsible. Change needs to happen.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »

Them? We are all in this together. We WF&W
 should not be in the business of making a profit!

They've never made a profit on anything or else they wouldn't need to dip into the general fund. There comes a point that the numbers don't pencil out for specific programs, either through diminished use or spiraling costs, or both. If a limited number are benefiting from the program while other programs that serve more users suffer, you have to make tough decisions. This may be one.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
If the pheasant folks were laid off it would be horrible as it would lead to more weekday crowding on the local steelhead rivers.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
 :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal