collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4  (Read 1008 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: Partner Hunt
Tag: Archery; 3 PT or better bull

Allrighty then! You and your buddy are having an epic year. Your buddy dropped a really nice 5 point on the second day of the season and it’s currently down at the wild game processor chilling till your hunt is over. On this fine day in the elk woods, you’re working up a large NE facing side hill that contains all the classic elk habitat (benches, plenty of water including several seeps with wallows, and some known bedding areas).. and..... you’re pretty sure it contains elk. As you head up the sidehill, wind in your snouts, before daylight….. you hear a big boy singing his song and it sounds like he’s moving from right to left. Up, up the hillside you go like a couple of roosters with an itch keeping track of the singer best you can from his vocalization. Yep, sounds like he’s moving from feed to bed somewhere higher on the hill. Move quickly, listen, move quickly, listen…… and BAM… you hear Bullwinkle coming from right to left, seemingly coming towards you and the edge of the bench you just set up on…
OK, back to the moment in the image. From right to left, here come the gals….. one, two, three, five cows moving with a purpose across the semi open bench and “SCREAMMMMM” comes from behind them and you see the battle worn antlers coming behind the cows. Shooter is set up and draws his bow as soon as the bull clears the brush and steps into the opening (shooter is 35 yards from the bull). Caller is back down the hill a bit, probably 50 yards from where the bull stands now. The cows and the bull are unaware of the hunters up to this point. And………… DANG IT, your buddy, the caller blasts out a loud nervous bark/grunt, stopping the bull in his tracks! Your buddy shoulda waited a bit longer to toot his horn but oh well, it is what it is and as the shooter in this situation….. your “shoot or no shot” moment is at hand. Shoot or no shot here?

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
For an archery hunter that's a nightmare cause vitals are protected.  Only shot opportunity is neck which is a small target

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
Many will shoot for the softball size gap needed on that frontal. Personally, I would patiently wait until he gives me a shot to double up by either moving towards his cows or the caller.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
I wouldn't shoot there but I'd either throw a stick or a rock out ahead of me as he is looking back towards the caller or wait for him to move and try to stop him myself when he's more broadside. 

Tank of an elk, got a belly like a hog.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
I'm confused, is the shooter seeing the view from the picture or is the shooter positioned to the left of the cameraman?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 01:14:54 PM »
Stein, shooter and caller are back "our" way as we view the image (shooter to the left with the bull quartering to him).  So yes, the cameraman would be kind of between the humans, again, back our way as we face the bull.           
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 01:25:29 PM »
Gotcha, couldn't figure out why nobody wanted that shot.

I agree, I'm waiting on it at 35.  At 20 I if things were perfect I would take the frontal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]