collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GoHunt for Washington is live  (Read 13181 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: GoHunt for Washington is live
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »
Just for fun I checked my odds as non resident with 0 points. I have a .11 percent odds of drawing a whitetail deer tag Mt Spokane 11-20 to 11-24 :chuckle: wtf I wouldn’t even buy that tag over the counter. Says I have potential for 150 inch buck though. I finally jumped into playing the game in state besides Idaho and Montana and the more I read about point creep the dumber I feel. I am not convinced most of these states are not just a waste of money at this point :dunno:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
If by waste of money you mean drawing tags and going hunting and having sweet adventures then yes, they are a waste of money :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
If by waste of money you mean drawing tags and going hunting and having sweet adventures then yes, they are a waste of money :chuckle:

Shhhhhhh!!! Let them think all out of stare hunts are a waste!  :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »

I hope you’re right it’s the drawing the tag part I am worried about :chuckle: I can usually be guaranteed 3 deer tags with good buck potential between Idaho and Montana not to mention elk,bear,and lion season so I will be hunting and having sweet adventures regardless  :tup: I am also going to really dedicate some time to wolf hunting and trapping this year so not really needing to fill up my calendar with more hunts. But I have fomo fear of missing out  :chuckle:so I will probably be in the game for a while since I made the leap. I still feel like I might be wasting money guess I will find out. Your yearly postseason write ups give me hope. I appreciate you posting your hunts cool stuff

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
A wolf tag in MT is $50, nearly the same amount of money I save by not applying for moose, sheep and goat here.  I can get one a year and based on what I saw last year, it isn't too hard to find them.  I was wishing I had one in my pocket last year when I had to yell one away while glassing for mulies.

The great part about GoHunt is that you can put your effort and funds where they are best utilized and skip the rest of the stuff.  It's sooo easy to collect points and think you are getting somewhere, kind of like saving for retirement that never comes.  Most of the smart guys I hear never plan to get more than about 2-3 points, find decent tags that you can draw and go hunting.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »

I hope you’re right it’s the drawing the tag part I am worried about :chuckle: I can usually be guaranteed 3 deer tags with good buck potential between Idaho and Montana not to mention elk,bear,and lion season so I will be hunting and having sweet adventures regardless  :tup: I am also going to really dedicate some time to wolf hunting and trapping this year so not really needing to fill up my calendar with more hunts. But I have fomo fear of missing out  :chuckle:so I will probably be in the game for a while since I made the leap. I still feel like I might be wasting money guess I will find out. Your yearly postseason write ups give me hope. I appreciate you posting your hunts cool stuff
yeah a guy can definitely fill a season with some OTC tags but there is a ton of additional opportunities out there if a guy is willing to toss a few bucks around and play the game. Screw the high point units. In this modern age of out of state hunting mania, a guy needs to focus on 0-5pt units. Obviously not all states can be "scheduled" and point creep (preference point systems) can get you but man there is endless opportunities out there for amazing hunts. In the grand scheme of things, a few licenses and apps is a small expenditure for what you can get out of it if a guy designs a realistic application portfolio
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
ApplicationPortfolioAdvisors.com....$179/year
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
What if WA just limited the quantity of drawings you could apply for each year, but still allowed you to apply for points only?  Would that approach work to increase the draw odds because fewer hunters could actually apply, presumably?

I can see hunters pushing back because you essentially buy points until you actually apply those points to a drawing and have an actual "chance" of drawing a tag, but that is the end result anyway with the current system.

Offline Johnny Doe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »
What if WA just limited the quantity of drawings you could apply for each year, but still allowed you to apply for points only?  Would that approach work to increase the draw odds because fewer hunters could actually apply, presumably?

I can see hunters pushing back because you essentially buy points until you actually apply those points to a drawing and have an actual "chance" of drawing a tag, but that is the end result anyway with the current system.

Something like Idaho does? If you apply for deer and/or elk you can't apply for the Big 3 (moose, sheep, & goat).  :dunno:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
There are actually two problems.  First is that WDFW wouldn't do anything that wasn't at least revenue neutral in the current funding environment.  Second, a bunch of hunters don't think there is a problem.  They either don't know the odds, or are fine with the odds and want to be able to apply for a bunch of stuff.  It's a valid position.

Assuming there is a problem, the only answer is to take away opportunity.  The easiest solution in my mind is to make two simple, yet painful changes.

1.  You can only submit one big game special permit application per year.  Points go away and it is a random draw.  The bad news is that your one special permit application is going to cost a bit, probably $50-100, maybe a bit more to keep the revenue neutral.
2.  Quality deer and elk are added to the OIL list.  Further, once you draw an OIL tag you cannot submit for any other big game special permit.  Non OIL permits can be drawn as frequently as you can draw them.

If pitchforks come out, as a concession you could keep your points, but they drop in half (rounding down) every year you don't draw.  They phase out such that in about 5 years nobody has points for anything.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
FYI GoHunt has admitted they got bad data from WDFW for 2018 application data.  Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
Ya, I checked it out and gohunt has more work to do to make since of washington. I had to do a lot of cross refrencing to get units right from gohunt to wdfw application submit page.

I still wasnt able to submit elk but everything esle went throug fine, goat,sheep, moose wasnt bad but elk is a mess on gohunt

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
FYI GoHunt has admitted they got bad data from WDFW for 2018 application data.  Go figure.

Whilst they’re at it they might as well do it with this year’s tag numbers.

It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »

Whilst they’re at it they might as well do it with this year’s tag numbers.

It's pretty easy, take the odds they have and divide that by four.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
Holey Cripes - just checked the new tag quotas.  With 18 points what was 1:30 odds for the blues / yakimas is now 1:250.  Just a waste of time now.   Odds dropped by a factor of 10 most areas.  OIL?  Not now. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal