collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wet aging  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Wet aging
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
This was dinner tonight. Big fat elk eye of round.  Bit different tonight as I had a pan of bacon grease sitting around. Rub, bacon grease sear, bbq. Got preoccupied with some pickled asparagus and over cooked it a bit but still turned out fantastic.  It's amazing what a 9 and 7 year old will put away! Makes me really sympathize for my parents having to feed three teenage boys :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
Looks delicious

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »
Yum 🤑🤑🤑
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:24 PM »
 :tup: One of my favorites . I feel like alot of people overlook the eye . Right up there with backstraps and tenderloin .IMO

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »
:tup: One of my favorites . I feel like alot of people overlook the eye . Right up there with backstraps and tenderloin .IMO
probably bring a tear to your eye if a guy knew how many go the way of the grinder. No different than shanks, necks, and shoulders :'(
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
Eye of round was what I cooked for the wild game virgins last week. They were thoroughly impressed. Also one of my favorite cuts.

Recently I've been utilizing our convection oven heated to 550. It gets those steaks and roasts sizzling. I've been very happy with how they turn out.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
I brush with olive oil and then season with garlic, onion, a coarse ground salt and cracked pepper.  Return to fridge for min 12hr. 24 if I can. Remove and let warm to room temp. Either in a pan with butter or onto a hot grill. I'm a hot and fast guy personally. Let rest and slice. I do this with steaks and roasts. In my opinion a lean muscle gets ruined in a crockpot.  Save the slow cooker for shoulders, necks, and shanks.

This is a NV mule deer. Probably lived on mahogany and sage.  I've eaten nothing but wild game (literally) for 20 years. From sage to high alpine mtns. They are all amazing.  If a person likes red meat but doesnt like venison it is because they don't know how to cook plain and simple.
i agree with your last sentence 100%
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
I'm a butcher. Wet age verse dry age is my business. Here is a piece I edited together (mostly from wikipedia) for customers to read. It is on point. Hope the image is readable after I post.

Wet aging elk will work and you won't have as much waste. IMO, dry aging is always better. For the guy who dry aged for a month... it'll be good eating but will have way too much wastage of meat. Stick with about 2 weeks only, it'll be very similar to 30 days. General rule, the larger, fatter the animal, the longer you can hang. Skinny deer should hang about 7-10 days (if that). If you are crazy about the nutty, aged flavor in your meat, meet these max hang times, pack the meat up, and let it sit in your freezer for a minimum 6 months before you touch it. It'll continue to age there, just at a much slower rate.

Also, pro tip, spray your carcass with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution every 2 or 3 days while aging. It'll protect the outer crust greatly to minimize end loss while internal meat continues to age.

For anyone new to aging and wants a comparison, after your next harvest, cook up a chop the same day you killed the animal. Then age the rest of it and when ready, cook up another chop the same way. The first chop will be extremely tough in comparison. You'll know the difference immediately after eating the second chop.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »
I have found that wet aging elk and deer 14-18 days in the fridge even without seasoning makes a difference.  Last test I did 21 days vs 14 vs no age and I couldn't tell enough difference between 14-21 to take the extra week.  I like Karl's 12-24 seasoning and I often cheat by re-vaccuming with a marinade of the same spice combos as it will pull in and I have a 17" chamber sealer. 

I agree that cooking skills improve all levels of meats and I'm glad Karl braises now!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]