collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What’s a typical day for a dog at a professional trainer’s kennel?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline aman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Just curious about what a typical day look like for the dog. I know every trainer probably has their own style but typically how much time is the dog spending in the run, back of the vehicle, getting aired, conditioning, training, etc?

Just collecting data for my own edification  :)

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
A question your trainer can best answer. Daily and weekly routines will vary greatly from trainer to trainer. Many many many reasons for this. A great question to ask before using a trainer so that you both can have realistic expectations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline aman

• Tracker
Thanks Colin :)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
A question your trainer can best answer. Daily and weekly routines will vary greatly from trainer to trainer. Many many many reasons for this. A great question to ask before using a trainer so that you both can have realistic expectations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Agreed with this. My uncle and cousin are trainers and I have joined them during some training and field trials. Too many variables to really give any kind of useful answer
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
You pay for training. You should never feel uncomfortable asking a trainer what they do and what your dog is doing every day. There are days where your dog will not be worked. The trainer should have a reasonable explanation for each day. You should get a report of progress weekly. If they don't, pick up your dog and find a new trainer
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Blackjaw

• Scout
Some questions to ask are: 1. How many dogs do they normally have in for training at the same time, or do they cap the number of dogs they take at one time? (Gives you an idea of how long they are available to spend with the dog a day) 2. Will they do most of the actual training or an assistant? 3. What time of year is best to get the dog in for training (do you want the dog in for training when the pro is busy travelling to field trials and hunt tests).

I am sure Paul and other can come up with more, these are juut what popped in to my mind

Offline haugenna

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Tagging

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
I think people would be shocked at how little time each dog really gets, but they're in the environment watching, building desire and when it's finally their turn they give it 150%

15 minutes back to the restraint to wait for another turn, building crazy desire to be out there while watching the other dogs have their go at it.

At home usually there isn't that mad crazy desire being built up watching other dogs work, they get 100% of the focus 100% of the time, so there's no jealousy being built up. 
Often the at home guy trains too long and ends on a bad note when the dog/pup has had enough and wants to do their own thing.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Find a respectable trainer and gauge the outcome of the dog. If you worry about how many minutes they are on the ground a day, when they poop, if another dog got more training time you probably won't be happy.

If the trainer produces great results, your money was well spent. If you don't feel comfortable the trainer is working hard enough, your dog doesn't look fit and in shape, take the dog home, find a new trainer.

Trainers have a bad reputation in general. This is due to the folks that get burned by the bad ones and don't get to experience the things which a real good trainer does for their dogs.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg