collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot placement for pelts  (Read 3573 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Shot placement for pelts
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
I didn't want to jack a couple other threads, and couldn't find the answer easily in the search function so thought I'd post the question assuming somebody probably knows the answer.   

If harvesting animals for pelts such as coyote, bobcat, etc. is it better to take the head shot or is a body shot OK?  If I get enough pelts to make it worth while to try to sell them, does it matter if I did the head shot as it relates to pelt value?

The reason I'm asking is some of my hunts will be an opportunistic harvest.  For example if a coyote or bobcat come into my calls for a bear.   Or if I'm out scouting for other purposes, and come across a coyote.  Most of those times my rifle of choice will be my 356 Winchester for the west side, although I will also have my 22lr Little Badger folded up in my pack should I see grouse or rabbit if it's that season.   I normally run 220gr Speer FN in the 356W, but also load some hard cast bullets at lower velocities.  My thinking is go for a head shot if a coyote or bobcat comes by.  Or if I have time to cycle the hard cast load in then should be OK for chest shots as the hard cast will just pass through on an animal that small.   For East side hunts I'm packing a much bigger gun, and head shots are the only option with those caliber choices.   Obviously for specific coyote-only hunts I'll have a more appropriate weapon on me...this question is specific to harvesting with a larger caliber opportunistically.

Thoughts on head shots impact on pelt values?   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:17:53 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Shot placement for pelts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Way, way back in the day in MT (steel traps/tree cubby sets), we’d shoot em in the chest/heart with a .22 and clean up any blood left with a few handfuls of snow. Not sure what modern day trappers do?

Edit:  Sorry, selective hearing. I see now you’re not talking trapping but opportune shots. Probably any kill shot then (vitals or head)? with small caliber.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »
I head shoot them with any calibre, that 220 might poke a small hole being that heavy.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Even when I was shooting cast bullets in a 300 Savage at $100. fox I used body shots.  Head shots are iffy at any distance and they are really messy to skin, blood running down the inside of cased pelts. with body shots you can stuff some paper towel in the entrance and exit holes for clean pelts.  Head shots can make for some ugly stretched pelts with gaping holes in the face and hard to keep on the point of the stretcher.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
Even when I was shooting cast bullets in a 300 Savage at $100. fox I used body shots.  Head shots are iffy at any distance and they are really messy to skin, blood running down the inside of cased pelts. with body shots you can stuff some paper towel in the entrance and exit holes for clean pelts.  Head shots can make for some ugly stretched pelts with gaping holes in the face and hard to keep on the point of the stretcher.

Thanks AWS.  That's what I was wondering.  I haven't shot an animal that small with my 356W, so not sure what kind of impact it would have on a heart/lung shot.   Granted given how tough that bullet is, rasbo is correct in that it probably won't cause too much of a hole as it probably won't open with that little resistance now that I think about it (that bullet is meant for elk/bear).  Thanks for the paper towel tip.  This will be my first year intentionally trying to collect pelts, so value your inputs and experiences.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 05:21:54 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
For what it's worth, I recently had the opportunity to dispatch a raccoon, and elected a head shot.  I am not sure I would do that again--what a bloody mess.  Next time I would probably go for a heart/lung shot.  This was with a .22LR, the entry and exit wound would be small.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:37:36 PM »
I don't have any problem putting a 22 Short in the ear of a trapped animal, there isn't any exit and again you can pug the hole.  But that is a 3 or 4 foot shot, that's on coyotes, large coon and beaver that have a lot of slack in the tie down.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
For what it's worth, I recently had the opportunity to dispatch a raccoon, and elected a head shot.  I am not sure I would do that again--what a bloody mess.  Next time I would probably go for a heart/lung shot.  This was with a .22LR, the entry and exit wound would be small.

I've never had an exit wound from a .22lr on a coon head....

Offline Carp Commander

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington Bowfishing Association
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 04:31:15 AM »
I didn't want to jack a couple other threads, and couldn't find the answer easily in the search function so thought I'd post the question assuming somebody probably knows the answer.   

If harvesting animals for pelts such as coyote, bobcat, etc. is it better to take the head shot or is a body shot OK?  If I get enough pelts to make it worth while to try to sell them, does it matter if I did the head shot as it relates to pelt value?

The reason I'm asking is some of my hunts will be an opportunistic harvest.  For example if a coyote or bobcat come into my calls for a bear.   Or if I'm out scouting for other purposes, and come across a coyote.  Most of those times my rifle of choice will be my 356 Winchester for the west side, although I will also have my 22lr Little Badger folded up in my pack should I see grouse or rabbit if it's that season.   I normally run 220gr Speer FN in the 356W, but also load some hard cast bullets at lower velocities.  My thinking is go for a head shot if a coyote or bobcat comes by.  Or if I have time to cycle the hard cast load in then should be OK for chest shots as the hard cast will just pass through on an animal that small.   For East side hunts I'm packing a much bigger gun, and head shots are the only option with those caliber choices.   Obviously for specific coyote-only hunts I'll have a more appropriate weapon on me...this question is specific to harvesting with a larger caliber opportunistically.

Thoughts on head shots impact on pelt values?   

I buy a lot of fur and get asked this very question several times every winter. The damage done with a head shots makes for a mess and is difficult to make presentable. It also creates issue for the fur handler when stitching & boarding them.

It is much easier to stitch a reasonable size hole in the body than the head. If the head is not salvageable it eliminates the fur buyers option of tanning and selling as a wall-hanger because must people buying a wall-hanger want the face. Head shots also damage the skulls making them worthless.

I would suggested staying away from head shots. The current coyote market is high and they will still have value, depending on primeness, color, quality and size.
"Smoked carp taste just as good as smoked salmon, when you ain't got no salmon"

Rancid Crabtree

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]