collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolf Meeting in Kennewick..4.23.19  (Read 5674 times)

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Wolf Meeting in Kennewick..4.23.19
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 12:11:35 PM »
I think it will be a very different presentation than hunters get. It should be very informative if you/we could keep our mouth shut or ask questions that do not give away your position.  :twocents:

Whenever I think about this sort of thing, it reminds me of this Rinella video. It's a good example of how these conversations should go. Logical and civil.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=STEVEN+RINELLA+LIBRARY+TALK&&view=detail&mid=1C7CA8E867F595C75E461C7CA8E867F595C75E46&&FORM=VRDGAR
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »
The reason why I point this out is because if you were to remain silent/unknown what and how they talked about wolves  would show you what issues about wolves are important.  It is really hard to understand some one that holds a drastically different view of an issue...

If I were going to try and make a pitch that  predator/wolf # control was important to the general population, the opposing views understanding is necessary.  This event IMO is an opportunity to LISTEN and think critically about how the opinions  are formed.
And  :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
The reason why I point this out is because if you were to remain silent/unknown what and how they talked about wolves  would show you what issues about wolves are important.  It is really hard to understand some one that holds a drastically different view of an issue...

If I were going to try and make a pitch that  predator/wolf # control was important to the general population, the opposing views understanding is necessary.  This event IMO is an opportunity to LISTEN and think critically about how the opinions  are formed.

Agree wholeheartedly. Understanding this and living by it is one of the issues that our community will always struggle with if you ask me. We get way too fired up(guilty!!) way too quick and don't slow down and LISTEN!!

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly. Understanding this and living by it is one of the issues that our community will always struggle with if you ask me. We get way too fired up(guilty!!) way too quick and don't slow down and LISTEN!!

Most of us think we are better at changing others minds than we actually are... I know i suffer from it.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
I agree with the comments above and I will be listening from the back of the room. 

There was a presentation about wolves bt a WDFW biologist in Walla Walla last winter.  The meeting time was changed and since I don't do facebook, I was late.  There must have been at least 100 people there and the speaker basically explained the wolf plan with a slide show.

The questions at the end were not the type one would expect from hunters and sportsmen....impossible to tell of course.  A couple questions about the likelihood of an attack and ways to protect pets.  Pretty general in nature and not from someone who knew much or anything about predators.

There was a livestock producer there that spoke up about his losses from wolves and cougar and asked about more effective predator control and expressed his displeasure with the current situation.
It never changes, but it is always different.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »

Most of us think we are better at changing others minds than we actually are... I know i suffer from it.
For sure.  I think the hang up is that we know why we think the way do so well and try to explain it so the other side will sway.  What we really need to do is understand how they came to their position, understanding that thought process is the way to show the other side.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
I agree with the comments above and I will be listening from the back of the room. 

There was a presentation about wolves bt a WDFW biologist in Walla Walla last winter.  The meeting time was changed and since I don't do facebook, I was late.  There must have been at least 100 people there and the speaker basically explained the wolf plan with a slide show.

The questions at the end were not the type one would expect from hunters and sportsmen....impossible to tell of course.  A couple questions about the likelihood of an attack and ways to protect pets.  Pretty general in nature and not from someone who knew much or anything about predators.

There was a livestock producer there that spoke up about his losses from wolves and cougar and asked about more effective predator control and expressed his displeasure with the current situation.

More than likely, the part in bold happened because there were hardly any hunters there. That's the other problem. We talk a lot, but most(me included) don't put our money where our mouths are when the time comes to rise up.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »
The presentation last evening was word for word of what is in the video posted by usmc74 except he took a lot of questions and did elaborate on some of the data on the slides.

Afew comments:  There was about 75 people there.  Visitors were invited to state why they came.  About 7 did, a few said they were hunters, one man from Ferry Co., one member or officer from the SCI club.  I think there were other visitors who didn't identify them selves.

Good to have met one other forum member ....anyone else who was there, please comment.
Maybe more later...Oh....some of the chatter I over heard from what I assume to be the Audubon folks during a break was that they don't know or understand much at all about wildlife issues.....no disrespect indended....just not wildlife folks.

Thanks usmc74 for finding the video from another presentation.

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
I agree with gramps that Bens presentation was essentially just going through the PowerPoint that is posted.  There was nothing new to be learned except for one item that I personally found interesting.  Ben basically said that there is no doubt in his mind that there are wolves in the southern cascades, either passing through or established, just not enough evidence to officially declare a pack.
  I was much more interested going into this meeting what the attitude towards hunters was and what there stance on wolves would be.  My observations by just gauging the room and listening to comments and questions are as follows.

I did not get the impression that they were either Pro or Anti wolf.  It was an "animal lives matter" and anti hunter sentiment that i felt.

I was surprized at the lack of in depth knowlege on the wolf issue and what is happening due to there unchecked epansion. They basically had no idea of the damage that that is being done to ungulates, property, and livelihoods.  Maybe this is because they dont have any skin in the game, but I believe that if you strongly support one position you should understand all outcomes, good and bad.

Most outlandish comment of the night was one member suggesting releasing wolves on Hanford to control elk populations.

I would not want Bens job no matter how much I love the outdoors and wildlife.  That guy does not have a single ally in the room and this was a very respectful environment.

Finally, there were were other hunters/outdoorsmen in attendance.  Everyone was very courteous and respectful.  This is the exact group of people that have the opinion that hunters are rednecks that kill without remorse.  I believe that many can be convinced that we are not bad through civil discourse which is exactly what happened last night.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »
The meeting I was at (the filmed one maybe?....there was a camera), a lady asked if "wolf conservation funds" were used to pay damage claims to ranchers.  I realized then she was one of the wolf huggers.

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
One question last night was if he (Ben) would speak to the RMEF group.  His answer was that he would and would speak to any group anywhere in Washington. 

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
Our meeting was the Upper Snoqualmie Elk Management Group on April 15.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »
I agree with gramps that Bens presentation was essentially just going through the PowerPoint that is posted.  There was nothing new to be learned except for one item that I personally found interesting.  Ben basically said that there is no doubt in his mind that there are wolves in the southern cascades, either passing through or established, just not enough evidence to officially declare a pack.
  I was much more interested going into this meeting what the attitude towards hunters was and what there stance on wolves would be.  My observations by just gauging the room and listening to comments and questions are as follows.

I did not get the impression that they were either Pro or Anti wolf.  It was an "animal lives matter" and anti hunter sentiment that i felt.

I was surprized at the lack of in depth knowlege on the wolf issue and what is happening due to there unchecked epansion. They basically had no idea of the damage that that is being done to ungulates, property, and livelihoods.  Maybe this is because they dont have any skin in the game, but I believe that if you strongly support one position you should understand all outcomes, good and bad.

Most outlandish comment of the night was one member suggesting releasing wolves on Hanford to control elk populations.

I would not want Bens job no matter how much I love the outdoors and wildlife.  That guy does not have a single ally in the room and this was a very respectful environment.

Finally, there were were other hunters/outdoorsmen in attendance.  Everyone was very courteous and respectful.  This is the exact group of people that have the opinion that hunters are rednecks that kill without remorse.  I believe that many can be convinced that we are not bad through civil discourse which is exactly what happened last night.

I believe the wolves in the southern cascades stems from the wolf poop study that was done. I believe the details of that were posted on the forum here. 

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech