collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would a change to permanent Daylight Savings Time mess up your hunting schedule?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Just curious to hear my fellow waterfowlers' thoughts on this move toward putting WA state on permanent Daylight Savings Time:

https://mynorthwest.com/1356635/permanent-daylight-saving-bill-passes/

If I'm understanding this right, this will put the start of shooting hours as late as 8:25 am in Western WA during the end of Dec - beginning of Jan. Nice to sleep in late, I guess, but boy...harder to squeeze in a quick morning shoot before work.

What do you guys think? Will this affect your duck hunting habits at all?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
No change, it helps some days and hurts others.  I think daylight savings is pretty worthless, so I'm fine either way.  Where it will not be fun is making sure your work calendar somehow knows and adjusts so I don't show up for teleconferences and meetings early or late all the time.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
I don't know who these people are that always talk about a quick shoot before work?
Unless you work at a dairy or something- where are you gonna be set up with decoys, and waders, and dog, and going to be able to start hunting at 0630 or so, pick up decoys, walk/boat out, deal with dog/boat, and make it into work by 0800? 0900? Noon?
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Id like it.   As a photographer, light is light.  It doesnt matter what the damn clock says.

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
 I don’t think it would really affect me. It would be annoying as it would basically create a whole Nother time zone. It is also kind of annoying that  is what they are spending their time on. Daylight savings time and being able to hunt in pink. Glad our lawmakers are taking care of all the really important problems  :bash:

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
I don't know why shooting hours wouldn't be adjusted.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
change something and somewhere somebody's gonna bitch about it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
I don't know who these people are that always talk about a quick shoot before work?
Unless you work at a dairy or something- where are you gonna be set up with decoys, and waders, and dog, and going to be able to start hunting at 0630 or so, pick up decoys, walk/boat out, deal with dog/boat, and make it into work by 0800? 0900? Noon?

I've done many a shoot and been to work by 9 am.  It helps I live one exit from hunting and have a home office though.  Dozen decoys, no dog and no messing around.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
I used to hunt on the way.  Especially after some rains would fill a few spots in a field.  Out and waiting before daylight, shoot a few, take a quick cat bath and back on the road.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Mixed feelings here.

There are days where I can run out but need to be back at a certain hour because I have kids.

But there are other days where I am driving in the morning and would take the extra hour in the evening.

I think I'd rather taking the morning hour but oh well.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
I'm excited about it. Day light is day light to me so having shooting light at 8:30 for the second half of the season will mean a little more sleep in the morning.

Offline hunterednate

• Scout

Shooting hours will stay at half hour before sunrise till sunset...this would just mean that sunrise won't be happening till about 9 am in Western Wa in December (hence an 8:30 am start to waterfowl hunting).

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
Mixed feelings here.

There are days where I can run out but need to be back at a certain hour because I have kids.

But there are other days where I am driving in the morning and would take the extra hour in the evening.

I think I'd rather taking the morning hour but oh well.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. Dad life.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter

I've done many a shoot and been to work by 9 am.  It helps I live one exit from hunting and have a home office though.  Dozen decoys, no dog and no messing around.

Used to do this kind of thing very close to my house when I had a home office.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter

Shooting hours will stay at half hour before sunrise till sunset...this would just mean that sunrise won't be happening till about 9 am in Western Wa in December (hence an 8:30 am start to waterfowl hunting).

I would be up for a later start.  As a public ground hunter who is usually launching the boat two and a half to three hours before shoot time it would be nice to sleep in. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]