collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Huge reduction of special permits  (Read 14317 times)

Offline beauhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Huge reduction of special permits
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
Is there really that much of a shortage of elk going on, I bought all of the tags and special permit apps for the family then I saw the new quota for available tags in most of the area I like to put in for and there was q huge reduction in tags like 2018 over 40 tags this year only 3. Is Washington turning into another Oregon or Colorado where we are going to have to put in a draw just to hunt with no more over the counter hunts. Let me know if anybody else has seen this

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Huge reduction of special permits
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
need to save some so the wolves can eat
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:45:28 AM »
Is there really that much of a shortage of elk going on, I bought all of the tags and special permit apps for the family then I saw the new quota for available tags in most of the area I like to put in for and there was q huge reduction in tags like 2018 over 40 tags this year only 3. Is Washington turning into another Oregon or Colorado where we are going to have to put in a draw just to hunt with no more over the counter hunts. Let me know if anybody else has seen this
Yes.  Washington is rapidly sprinting towards 100% draw with no OTC because the state refuses to address the rapidly increasing predator populations.  Deer, elk and moose have bears, cougars and wolves all eating the heck out of them.

No wolf season + no bear baiting + no hound hunting + no OTC spring bear all points to a disaster of epic proportions.

Think California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
So frustrating! Basically turning east side bull tags into OIL tags. When is enough enough?!
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
Well, at least the predator hunting should always be good in this state.   :bash:

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »
Tag quotas are about 25% of what they were 4 years ago.  I'd venture to say that at this level all Bull, Quality Bull, and Quality Deer tags will be OIL from here on out.  It actually might make sense for them to actually go to OIL at least then there would be a chance for everyone and their children to have a chance of drawing in the future.  Not sure what the answer is but I am sure less predators and better tribal enforcement could help.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
Basically turning east side bull tags into OIL tags.

We Wish!!!  99% of us won’t live that long!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
No, it won't go to draw only because that would be an enormous loss of revenue for WDFW.  What will happen is an extension of the tag reduction - seasons will be shortened, more limitations on what is allowed for harvest and anything else they can think of that would reduce the number of game taken with the most minimal impact to the number of tags and permit applications sold.  There could also be more divisions in the points game, you could apply for east and/or west quality, etc, which would easily be sold as increasing opportunity.  They could also divide the permits for a GMU into early and late and let you apply for both for twice the fee.  Hey, we are just following the great Colorado model (just don't look at the animal numbers)!

The game plan is to sell as many tags and permits as possible while lowering the number of game taken to account for the reality of shrinking numbers of big game animals.  Nothing will be done to actually attempt to resolve the shrinking herds until they are forced to - either by a change in heart in Olympia (not likely), a revolt from sportsmen (not likely so far), or they get such a budget hit from license sales drop that their existence as an organization requires it.  The final option would be to just start closing up the recreational portion of the department and admitting the focus of the department is to preserve and save certain preferred species. I think there are plenty of people in Olympia that would care less if there was zero hunting or fishing in the state.  Let the salmon feed the orcas and let the deer and elk feed the wolves and grizzlies "just like nature intended."

It wasn't that long ago that nobody could fathom the thought that the NW wouldn't be producing massive quantities of lumber forever.  If you went back a generation and told them your lumber would come from BC, they would think you were crazy.  Same story here I am afraid.  If the feds don't do it, the state will.  If the state doesn't do it, citizen's initiative will.  It's way to easy to buy laws these days and we are far to uncoordinated and ineffective in fighting it without a partner in the state.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
The worst part is so many of us feel like we are invested by having a handful of points and it keeps us playing the game. I have said it for years and stand by it, once mine are gone, they won't be started back up. Bring on quality deer this year and I am out
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
The worst part is so many of us feel like we are invested by having a handful of points and it keeps us playing the game. I have said it for years and stand by it, once mine are gone, they won't be started back up. Bring on quality deer this year and I am out
:yeah:
Yup Out of state hunting is going to be in my near future
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:02 AM »

I started years ago and have been spoiled when compared to Wa. It is a financial commitment but well worth it for me. I prioritize hunting season and want to get the most out of each season I am blessed enough to spend in the woods.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
If you look at success ratios for the permits given out it is obvious that the legal hunters shooting bulls and bucks are not the problem that is depleting the resource.

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
I cant believe the tag numbers this year! And the lack of deer the last couple years, this state is pretty bad. I'm looking forward to Idaho..
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »

I started years ago and have been spoiled when compared to Wa. It is a financial commitment but well worth it for me. I prioritize hunting season and want to get the most out of each season I am blessed enough to spend in the woods.

It doesn't even seem like that big of a financial commitment to me.  It's already damn expensive in WA if you factor in buying access, permits, etc.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »

It doesn't even seem like that big of a financial commitment to me.  It's already damn expensive in WA if you factor in buying access, permits, etc.

So true. Basic license and tag isn't much money here but to get something similar to deer/elk as far as being able to hunt multiple seasons, you have to get lucky enough to draw multi, which not only costs money to apply for but also to then buy the tag. Add that on to your bill and you are then at closer to 1/3 or 1/2 of what an out of state costs.  :yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal