collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special trapping permits and dam removal  (Read 6132 times)

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
Re: Special trapping permits and dam removal
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 02:43:44 PM »
It seems like the same people who want the beaver dams left alone, are the same ones who are so worried about the killer whales getting enough salmon. They want the man-made dams that give us electricity and irrigation water  taken down so the salmon can go up river.  While I know of one dam that the beavers have built that stops the big salmon going up stream and the young salmon going down.  It will prevent fish travel even when the water floods because it is made mostly with thin sticks and canary reed grass that filters the water.  The eagles and coyotes get any salmon that try to pass.
 :twocents:
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
Bruce, any idea why they are limiting the number of animals authorized?  On the ones I recently submitted, I requested between 6 to 10 animals - 6 on some , 10 on others. They all came back with 2 authorized.  I'm dealing with good sized farms/ large tracks of land that have substantial damage.  There is no shortage of beaver on any of them.  I am back to these places every year due to the population increases since the trap laws changed.  Now it means I will be submitting far more permit requests to get the numbers covered that I need to get the situation under control.   Not to mention wasted effort in needing to disable traps when the "quota" is reached, then go reset for the next round on the next permit, only to get to do it all over again. :bash:
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »
Bruce, any idea why they are limiting the number of animals authorized?  On the ones I recently submitted, I requested between 6 to 10 animals - 6 on some , 10 on others. They all came back with 2 authorized.  I'm dealing with good sized farms/ large tracks of land that have substantial damage.  There is no shortage of beaver on any of them.  I am back to these places every year due to the population increases since the trap laws changed.  Now it means I will be submitting far more permit requests to get the numbers covered that I need to get the situation under control.   Not to mention wasted effort in needing to disable traps when the "quota" is reached, then go reset for the next round on the next permit, only to get to do it all over again. :bash:

:yeah:
Go hawks

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
It was way faster and easier when Ralph was overseeing the permits

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
When they deny permits now, they don't sign a name on the bottom of the email anymore.  I was recently denied a permit for problem coyotes causing problems with personal pets...two weeks later the house cat is gone. 

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
When they deny permits now, they don't sign a name on the bottom of the email anymore.  I was recently denied a permit for problem coyotes causing problems with personal pets...two weeks later the house cat is gone.
have the homeowners call and bitch it helped me secure permit for downtown Bellevue coyote job

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
have the homeowners call and bitch it helped me secure permit for downtown Bellevue coyote job

In the end, I'm primarily at fault.  I've missed twice with the .243 in the last month shooting from the window.  Getting my first pair of glasses in about a week.

It was my cat.  I'm beyond pissed and don't believe I would portray myself very well. 

In any case, it should be required and SOP to put your name on any correspondence coming from the department.  These people supposedly work for us.  The intentional lack of accountability is disturbing and it extends well beyond this subject. 

How many different WDFW agents are involved in nuisance permit applications?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »

In the end, I'm primarily at fault.  I've missed twice with the .243 in the last month shooting from the window.  Getting my first pair of glasses in about a week.

It was my cat.  I'm beyond pissed and don't believe I would portray myself very well. 

In any case, it should be required and SOP to put your name on any correspondence coming from the department.  These people supposedly work for us.  The intentional lack of accountability is disturbing and it extends well beyond this subject. 

How many different WDFW agents are involved in nuisance permit applications?

Typically one, Cole Caldwell.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »
OK, I sent an e-mail to Cole about this asking why he is arbitrarily reducing the number requested on the permits. I also called but was unable to get anyone and my voicemails were not returned.
Cole denies he is doing this.

Here is where you guys come in. In the future when this happens send an e-mail complaining to Cole.Caldwell@dfw.wa.gov and to Dan.Brinson@dfw.wa.gov
Dan is Coles supervisor.
I advised him if there was not a reason attached to a reduction in the number requested on a permit application we would be doing this.
That may in itself stop this from happening but it is important for you to follow through with letters of complaint if it happens to you.
I would include the permit number, number requested, number approved and a reason you feel the number requested is appropriate.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Hannibal

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
I quit applying for permits. Everything is performed using a cage
 the comstock trap, although expensive, is as effective and sells itself in "sensitive" area and implies the do good feeling in the huggers hearts

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
Thanks Bruce.  We will see how it goes.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
I spoke with Dan Brinson today about this. It looks like Cole will not be doing this job soon so we will have someone new probably.
Dan admitted Cole got a little carried away. I expect in the future we will see less reductions in the number applied for and if there is there will be a good reason stated.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »
Cole was a by the booker. He was a bit ott
Go hawks

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
Thanks for working on this Bruce. :tup:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
So I submitted new requests that matched to my previous ones (that only had 2 animals authorized for each). 

Ralph shot me a note asking why I had submitted new requests vs asking for renewals?

Here is what I wrote back:     

"The previous permits only authorized 2 animals each.  They all requested 6 to 10 animals.  The authorized animals were fulfilled the night those traps were set on several of those.  One place was not set at all. Requesting  renewal for 1 or two animals most likely means that I will need another permitted immediately, and will again have to disarm traps, then go re-arm them with the next permitt.  It means more hassle for me and more paperwork for both of us. All of that is frankly a waste of time."

About an hour later I received my new permits with the beaver numbers I requested authorized. 

Thanks again Bruce!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:03:45 PM by Cylvertip »
Don't Tread On Me!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw