collapse

Advertisement

Poll

How do you feel about this years draw and draws going forward?

Great! This is the year I’m drawing a tag and look forward to this time every year!
54 (24.1%)
I’m in but don’t think I’ll draw. Next year should be better!
21 (9.4%)
I’m in but only because I have so many points... doubt I’ll draw...
89 (39.7%)
I was feeling good until I seen the quotas... I’m thinking about applying.
20 (8.9%)
This is my last year if I don’t draw...
7 (3.1%)
I gave up already and no longer apply.
33 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: May 24, 2019, 09:51:15 PM

Author Topic: Who’s excited for the WA draw? Poll  (Read 12601 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Who’s excited for the WA draw? Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
Only have 6 points, as that's as long as I lived here.  Decided to stop buying moose, sheep, goat as I just don't believe I'll ever draw based on my age. Too bad I can't donate those points to somebody.  

I still put in for quality elk, deer, and second deer.  Even though I know I won't draw the quality tags....probably my last year on those.  Was going to put in for a cow elk tag that had an average drawn with 5pts in the regs, but figured a lot of guys will point-only quality bull and maybe put in for cow and raising the points required.....didn't want to be locked in on spikes.  So will stick to west side OTC elk again.  Most of my hunting focus is on Oregon again, but I still hunt WA on the OTC elk/deer/bear/cougar tags every year.
You sort of could....find someone just starting out with a lot less points.  Go in as a group, size is limited to two.  You'd be bumping up their odds.
someone with 1pt just starting will have better odds of getting a tag than ANY group app regardless of points.  When you are looking at sheep and goat tags that have 1-3 tags you do yourself no favors.

Kselkhunter, the only way to guarantee you dont draw is to not apply.  It's an added opportunity not a guarantee.  Points mean nothing and NEVER base choices off the "average points" that are in the regs.  That number is an average of all successful applicants for that hunt.  You get one guy in there with 1pt and it throws the whole thing off.  They need to do away with that in the regs.  It leads to false Hope's and anger when a guy with 11pts doesnt draw a tag "that only takes 5."
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
Whoever draws the limited Yakima herd bull tags is going to be in for a great hunt with limited pressure! It will be a great year to draw a bull tag!

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »
I’ve only drawn one quality tag in my life, but I am always excited for the drawing.  June is my favorite month with Idaho, Wyoming and Washington results coming out.

I did bypass the draw to ensure that I have a quality hunt in my home state this year, but that’s only for rat deer.    :chuckle:

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
got things going on this year so points only

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 05:28:02 PM »
Surprised to see so many who think this is their year... few more and the number will out number the permits offered  :chuckle:

Offline xwizard50

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
I got 18 quality elk and 18 quality deer, I put in but don’t expect to draw. Gotta try though.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
Count me in the "too many points not to apply" crowd.
Do I expect to draw?...nah
Excited?...about more NOT SELECTED...nah

There's always a glimmer of hope :chuckle: :chuckle:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 07:33:11 PM »
I'm so disgusted with WDFW I can't decide if I want to give them any more money tom pour into predators and spotted frogs!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
I'm so disgusted with WDFW I can't decide if I want to give them any more money tom pour into predators and spotted frogs!

I couldn’t agree more!

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
I don't get excited at all for Washington draws.... its just going through the motions anymore. I have cut way back and am only putting in for the premium tags.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
Only have 6 points, as that's as long as I lived here.  Decided to stop buying moose, sheep, goat as I just don't believe I'll ever draw based on my age. Too bad I can't donate those points to somebody.  

I still put in for quality elk, deer, and second deer.  Even though I know I won't draw the quality tags....probably my last year on those.  Was going to put in for a cow elk tag that had an average drawn with 5pts in the regs, but figured a lot of guys will point-only quality bull and maybe put in for cow and raising the points required.....didn't want to be locked in on spikes.  So will stick to west side OTC elk again.  Most of my hunting focus is on Oregon again, but I still hunt WA on the OTC elk/deer/bear/cougar tags every year.
You sort of could....find someone just starting out with a lot less points.  Go in as a group, size is limited to two.  You'd be bumping up their odds.
someone with 1pt just starting will have better odds of getting a tag than ANY group app regardless of points.  When you are looking at sheep and goat tags that have 1-3 tags you do yourself no favors.

Kselkhunter, the only way to guarantee you dont draw is to not apply.  It's an added opportunity not a guarantee.  Points mean nothing and NEVER base choices off the "average points" that are in the regs.  That number is an average of all successful applicants for that hunt.  You get one guy in there with 1pt and it throws the whole thing off.  They need to do away with that in the regs.  It leads to false Hope's and anger when a guy with 11pts doesnt draw a tag "that only takes 5."

Exactly, this is a bonus point system not preference point! Why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp? It’s just a shade above random really...

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »
Surprised to see so many who think this is their year... few more and the number will out number the permits offered  :chuckle:

I always think this is my year...…...every so often it is.    Gotta play to dream/win.  :twocents:
PS, It'll be a ram tag this year.  :IBCOOL: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »

Exactly, this is a bonus point system not preference point! Why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp? It’s just a shade above random really...

bonus point systems really shine when the draw odds suck way too much for a preference point system.  Keeps the low point guys playing (and the high point guys hope this year is the year!)

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »

So are you saying that points don't matter? Points get squared for the drawing according to the regs. Of course if you put in for a group drawing with four hunters and the remaining available slots are three then of course you wasted your draw but if you have ten points you have one hundred times the odds of an individual that has only one point to get drawn. Of course if one million people put in for the same draw your odds plummet no matter how many points you or they have. Points matter.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
Yes they give you a better chance of drawing but there is never a guaranteed draw! It’s a waste of time looking at the “average points drawn” column in the refs. You still have to get lucky.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal