collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Favorite trout recipies ?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Favorite trout recipies ?
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
Whats your favorite ? I have had them on the grill, smoked, stuffed with lemon and butter then wrapped in foil on the fire, fried in bacon grease and stuffed on a stick over a camp fire. Got a limit of stocked yesterday and wondered what every one else does with them. What's your go to ?? Do you scale and flower, dip and bread, fillet or whole ??

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Favorite trout recipies ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:49:34 PM »
If its cold water / river trout i cook them just like salmon on a grill. if its lake trout i cook them on a cedar plank, and when its done i throw it in the trash and eat the plank  :chuckle:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
if its lake trout i cook them on a cedar plank, and when its done i throw it in the trash and eat the plank  :chuckle:

:chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
If its cold water / river trout i cook them just like salmon on a grill. if its lake trout i cook them on a cedar plank, and when its done i throw it in the trash and eat the plank  :chuckle:

Honestly, I don’t see the appeal of trout other than brookies. I love to fish for them and catch them all, but as food it’s brook trout or no trout. There’s no comparison.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »

Honestly, I don’t see the appeal of trout other than brookies. I love to fish for them and catch them all, but as food it’s brook trout or no trout. There’s no comparison.

I would agree in this part of the country...but, in cold water/native fisheries like in my home range (NW Montana) many trout species are excellent table fare. Honestly, I will not keep a W WA planted trout for the purpose of cooking it. I’ve thrown them in the smoker and they’re somewhat tolerable tho  :rolleyes:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
I usually cut them in half, freeze them in gallon ziploc bags, thaw them out in saltwater and they magically turn into crab.

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
We like to take the acclimated trout from the eastern Washington lakes, the ones that were planted last year as fry, and split them up the middle along the spine from the inside and lay them open and flat. They are kind of triangle shaped - season the meat side with Johnnys and garlic bread or flour with an egg wash and pan fry in hot oil flipping once - peel out the bones and eat for breakfast right on the lake shore. The put and take trout on the west side are good for garden fertilizer.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:06:57 PM »

I would agree in this part of the country...but, in cold water/native fisheries like in my home range (NW Montana) many trout species are excellent table fare. Honestly, I will not keep a W WA planted trout for the purpose of cooking it. I’ve thrown them in the smoker and they’re somewhat tolerable tho  :rolleyes:

Im heading to Montana this summer so if I get a chance I'll bonk one and give it a go.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:15:44 PM »
Basic cast iron pan fry flour, salt, pepper, garlic and peanut oil
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
In this state? - catch them, then throw them back. If there isn't fresh water shrimp for them to eat, they are not worth feeding to dogs.  :puke:
I have no idea why fresh water shrimp have not been introduced into these waters. It sure would help.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
I have caught hundreds of trout that taste just fine.
Fried in cast iron with Johnney's seasoning or butterflied on the grill with Johnney's and a little butter.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
triploids I only smoke, the rest are just fine cooked on bbq, tented in foil and rubbed down with lemon, garlic and parm cheese
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline MLHSN

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
My favorite way is still over a campfire. Slide a switch underneath skin behind the backbone. Use a couple green twigs to spread it out. Coat the inside with butter or oil to keep from drying out. A little lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then smoke it over open flame campfire. High Lake trout that have been feeding on copepods or scuds always taste better then lowland lakes, IMO.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
For me, the faster they grow on wild food (not counting triploids) the better they taste.  I used to fish some incredibly productive lakes in Wyoming where rainbows stocked at 35/lb in the fall were 2-3 lbs after a year and 4-5 lbs after 2 years.  Cooked them like salmon and they were deep orange fleshed and delicious.  I also like stream trout pan fried or cooked over coals.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 10:56:25 AM »
My favorite way is still over a campfire. Slide a switch underneath skin behind the backbone. Use a couple green twigs to spread it out. Coat the inside with butter or oil to keep from drying out. A little lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then smoke it over open flame campfire. High Lake trout that have been feeding on copepods or scuds always taste better then lowland lakes, IMO.
:yeah: Rarely ever keep fish but if I'm backpacking they sure taste great just like this cooked in some tinfoil!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
If it's a western wa stocked lake rainbow, I kill as many as possible and then stuff them into crab pots. I then eat the crab.

Now, if it's an eastern wa early season cold water stocked lake trout, totally different. I super salt those and put them on circle hooks with 2 pounds of lead and turn them in halibut. I then eat the halibut.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 12:16:15 PM »
If it's a western wa stocked lake rainbow, I kill as many as possible and then stuff them into crab pots. I then eat the crab.

Now, if it's an eastern wa early season cold water stocked lake trout, totally different. I super salt those and put them on circle hooks with 2 pounds of lead and turn them in halibut. I then eat the halibut.

Those are my 2 uses for planter trout.  I do like to eat wild trout from mountain lakes or streams though.  I'm heading out camping a few times coming and am excited to cook trout in the fire with my kids.  It'll be their first time doing that and it should be a blast.  I remember doing that as a kid and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
Preheat oven to 425F

4 medium trout
Stuffing:
4 oz of crab claw meat
1/2 sleeve of Ritz crackers
4 oz melted butter
1 oz Soy

Stuff the fish enough to leave the cavity open 1". Oil a flat pan and put the trout on. Paint the trout with melted butter. Stick in the oven for about 20 minutes. Eat that.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 05:17:21 PM »
How about this one-- scale the fish with a garden hose, gut and take the head off. Toss them into a pan with some bacon grease Or olive oil, flowered with some lemon pepper seasoning" and fry till the skin is crisp, Good eats, skin and all. Stick a fork under the tail, pull up, and the bones come right out.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
How about this one-- scale the fish with a garden hose, gut and take the head off. Toss them into a pan with some bacon grease Or olive oil, flowered with some lemon pepper seasoning" and fry till the skin is crisp, Good eats, skin and all. Stick a fork under the tail, pull up, and the bones come right out.

Thats how i do it, flour salt and pepper in bacon grease. Good breakfast there

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 08:15:22 PM »
:yeah: Rarely ever keep fish but if I'm backpacking they sure taste great just like this cooked in some tinfoil!

As I’ve gotten older I’ve wondered if the fish really are better, or if we are just hungry and they smell good cooking after a long day hiking and fishing...
Sexually deprived for your Freedom!
Beer, It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
I like one I can fit in my biggest skillet with the head on.  Gut and clean well. Dredge in flour and cornmeal with a little seasoning of choice and put some garlic, butter, and lemon in the gut cavity. Fry in butter or bacon grease on each side, turning carefully every minute or so until the skin is crispy. All the bones should pull right out n the crispy skin is tasty :EAT:  Don’t forget to eat the cheeks!

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »
Quote from: JeffRaines
 I love to fish for them and catch them all, but as food it’s brook trout or no trout. There’s no comparison.
[/quote

I agree JeffRaines,
 Nothing like a Lemon in your back pocket with Salt and Pepper packets and a fresh caught Brookie on a hot dog stick, roasting over the open fire up on the gravel bar, next to the pool with the Mayfly Hatch on.  :tup:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
In this state? - catch them, then throw them back. If there isn't fresh water shrimp for them to eat, they are not worth feeding to dogs.  :puke:
I have no idea why fresh water shrimp have not been introduced into these waters. It sure would help.

For lakes, I have to agree.  There is one lake in the Lacey area that has amazing tasting trout mixed in with the pale wannabees.  Now, a Brook, Brown, or Bull trout, different story.

The only way I have had planter trout be OK to eat is brined and smoked.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »
Proof in the Pud-din.......Lake Washington Perch, Love to eat Freshwater Shrimp! (Makes for pretty Red Fin's too!)
"The difference between an 8-inch and 14-inch yellow perch show the growth potential in Lake Washington. Some experts say the next state record could come from Seattle’s largest urban watershed."
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »

ill eat sea run cuts all day  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw