collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hancock land closed.  (Read 6668 times)

Online Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Hancock land closed.
« on: April 29, 2019, 06:04:51 AM »
I know over the past several years, Hancock has been selling off large parcels of land
Off the Kapowson tree farm to new owners.
I drew a Kapowson spring bear tag this year after several years without one and noticed large blocks of land, that use to be open, now posted closed to spring bear hunters. Wondering if these large parcels will be closed to deer hunting also?
Anybody have any information on this?
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Hancock land closed.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:17:49 AM »
They close that side of the river for spring bear, I heard that even the south side has some closed areas this year, can't for the life of me understand why they do this.  But those lands closed for spring bear will be open during the deer seasons, not that you'll see any, but they will be open.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:11:27 AM »
They close them to allow APHIS to come in and snare bears. Gotta protect their timber and hunters don’t take enough.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Online Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
They close them to allow APHIS to come in and snare bears. Gotta protect their timber and hunters don’t take enough.

Depredation permits are on hold this year because of a lawsuit against WDFW by CBD, so that wouldnt be the case. Even if it were, I've never heard of anyone shutting down a boot hunt because of snare or hound permits. I'd bet there are feeders put out instead until the lawsuit is resolved. I'm suprised any of these companies have boot hunts while this lawsuit is happening to be honest.  While feeding isn't a long term solution it definitely cuts down on the damage in susceptible stands. Normally spring boot hunts and depredation go on simultaneously.

Online Thehowler

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
To be more clear, the area that IS OPEN for the bear hunt, has several areas closed to the spring bear hunters this year.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
What areas? I drew the spring bear permit for kapowsin also, but decided not to buy a permit because I’m tired of Hancock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
What areas? I drew the spring bear permit for kapowsin also, but decided not to buy a permit because I’m tired of Hancock

So you drew a permit you won't use? Or is there land to hunt without an access permit?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »

So you drew a permit you won't use? Or is there land to hunt without an access permit?
I believe that permit is only good for Hancock (kapowsin) land, so it won’t be used.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »

I believe that permit is only good for Hancock (kapowsin) land, so it won’t be used.

Bummer. Someone would have appreciated that permit I bet.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »

I think Hancock changed their spring bear rules after the deadline. They used to offer a discounted, limited access permit for spring bear tags. They took it away.  Plus you can't take your wife anymore unless she has her own permit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
I’ve traveled through 3/4 of the kapowsin spring bear area over the last couple weeks and have only seen one area within a few miles of the main gate that was closed. But I also spend a ton of time out of my vehicle hunting, so maybe I missed some. Tons of area still to hunt in there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:28:48 PM by Jellymon »

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »

I was planning on buying the discounted spring bear permit as someone else mentioned, but they did away with those this year (after the spring bear deadline). Trust me If I could give it to someone else I would

Offline Shaqdiesel

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »
There’s a few roads with signs saying no bear hunting and it’s really annoying honestly. I feel like they pulled a fast one on people now only selling year round permits, after you had to submit for the hunt, they limit it to half the tree farm, and this year they have pretty good sized areas closed in the south side which limits you even further and they only have one of the escapement gates open instead of all of them, I mean do you really want people killing bears or not. Seems like they don’t do anything that would indicate that. They definitely don’t do anything to encourage it.  :twocents:     Anyways, I’ve been up scouting and hunting and have seen very little sign, with the exception of one area with scat and a fresh peel,  so I think the warm weather this weekend should get things moving along hopefully. Going to start predator calling in a week or two
60% of the time, it works every time.

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »
There’s a few roads with signs saying no bear hunting and it’s really annoying honestly. I feel like they pulled a fast one on people now only selling year round permits, after you had to submit for the hunt, they limit it to half the tree farm, and this year they have pretty good sized areas closed in the south side which limits you even further and they only have one of the escapement gates open instead of all of them, I mean do you really want people killing bears or not. Seems like they don’t do anything that would indicate that. They definitely don’t do anything to encourage it.  :twocents:     Anyways, I’ve been up scouting and hunting and have seen very little sign, with the exception of one area with scat and a fresh peel,  so I think the warm weather this weekend should get things moving along hopefully. Going to start predator calling in a week or two
Which of the escapement gates is open?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »

I was planning on buying the discounted spring bear permit as someone else mentioned, but they did away with those this year (after the spring bear deadline). Trust me If I could give it to someone else I would

Gotcha.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1