collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Boat Restoration: Outboard 22 May 2019  (Read 6948 times)

Offline notellumcreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Outboard Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 05:43:11 AM »
What’s your main goal for use? Water skiing? fishing? Both? Go to bloody decks and you will get some well seasoned knowledge on there. Just FYI they are a little more thick skinned there and expect you to be the same. They will also steer you away from anything evinrude well at least the new line of stuff they have. Get anything yami/zuke/ Honda and you will be fine. I would highly recommend 4 stroke.
CBM- commemorative bucks of michigannn

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »
Most of the big 3 will suit your needs, Yamaha, honda, Zuks. Mercs are pretty good but not as common, avoid Etecs. ... Stay 4 stroke for a number of reasons. Check dealerships, a lot of guys upgrade before the season so used outboards are easy to find and they often will come with warranties and documented diagnostic test, compression etc.... 90hp will be plenty for that boat. You only need max Hp if your fishing the ocean and even then its not necessary. Ill check some contacts and see if any of the dealer guys I know have anything in stock.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »
Go to bloody decks and you will get some well seasoned knowledge on there. Just FYI they are a little more thick skinned there and expect you to be the same.
lol. thats putting it lightly  :chuckle:

Offline BIGMIKE

• Hunter that likes to fish
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »
Ok, coast guard tag found. It says, 175 hp Maximum. Now, I'm not sure about that... little hesitant because biggest motor I had was 70hp on my old boat....I don't need to go 50 mph while heading to a fishing hole/or when taking the kids out tubing. But I donr't want to buy a motor that is under power. Most used outboard dealer i called is of course selling me what they have in shop currently. lol.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:20:13 PM by BIGMIKE »
Happy Hunting and Fishing

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2019 Boat Restoration: Outboard Recommendation
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »
Go Yamaha 150 4 stroke and call It a day.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
Go Yamaha 150 4 stroke and call It a day.

That's a good motor but that's also a lot of weight to be putting on the back of it. 480 lbs compared to 410 for a Suzuki df140. also about $3500 more expensive.

Offline BIGMIKE

• Hunter that likes to fish
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 08:05:17 AM »
Found a used 2000 Honda with 600 hrs for $3500 including controls. Compression on all cylinders are the same 150 psi.  Is this a good price? I'm checking it out tomorrow, any suggestions on what or how to look for a RED FLAG?. The boat transom is 22. The motor has 25 inch shaft would this work or would it be too long? I just don't want to buy something I cant use. Thanks for all the input. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:10:55 AM by BIGMIKE »
Happy Hunting and Fishing

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
600 hours would be at least a yellow flag for me.  Shaft length sounds fine.  Cold start it, see how it runs and the water pump flow, check over the motor for corrosion and pull some oil out of the lower unit.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 10:15:18 AM »
600 hours would be at least a yellow flag for me.  Shaft length sounds fine.  Cold start it, see how it runs and the water pump flow, check over the motor for corrosion and pull some oil out of the lower unit.
i wont even say how many hours are on my yami 90  :chuckle:

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »
I wouldnt put anything on it bigger than a 90hp 4 stroke.  I would look in Oregon for used Honda or Yamaha.  As far as shaft length you probably want a long shaft, for sure not an XL shaft, but triple check that because a standard shaft motor might be what you need.  Hard to say without doing the research and measurements myself.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
i wont even say how many hours are on my yami 90  :chuckle:

I'm fine with lots of hours on my motor, just not too keen on buying it from someone who I can't verify how it was maintained, run or what the reliability has been.  Might be fine, might not be but for me that's a pile of cash to bet.

Offline 3cityhuntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Buddy has a similar boat to yours (~19ft) with a Yamaha 100 4 stroke, think it gets him in the high 30’s for top end.  I would go 115 Yamaha or Suzuki up to 140.  Honda’s are great motors but in my opinion they’re quite heavy compared to the 4 strokes by Yamaha and Suzuki.  And I believe the 140 Suzuki is pretty close in weight to the Yamaha 115.  I have a Yamaha 130 2 stroke on a 17.5 Lund (max rating 140), that will push 50 and pull any slalom.  If I were to upgrade to 4-S I would either go with the 140 Suzuki or Yamaha 115-v max.  The 135 Honda is A great motor, just too heavy.  I believe that 90 isn’t too bad and will do the job if you’re not loading the boat up with max capacity or pulling a skier routinely.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »
I have a 19' walk through with a 200HP Verado L4 4stroke. WFO at 6K RPM gets me +/- 47MPH. DON'T UNDER POWER YOUR BOAT. Trust me Mike, There is a reason  anyone that can afford to upgrades their 2 year old outboards in favor of something closer to the max HP rating.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline 3cityhuntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
Agree with previous post but remember this is an older boat that likely was manufactured before 4- strokes were the norm.  HP not the only factor in capacity plate, weight is.  And 175 hp 2-strokes were probably about the same weight as today’s 4- stroke 100-115.  The problem isn’t in the water, it’s all that weight sitting off the transom on the trailer and going down the road. Trust me, I have a friend that had a 2000’s welded aluminum boat with offshore transom and he stuck a much bigger/heavier 4-stroke outboard on it than the 2 stroke it came with.  Ended up cracking welds and needed to be repaired and re-enforced.  Your boat is riveted and not nearly as heavy duty, also probably a bit lighter and maybe even narrower than most boats like it today.  So you can get away with less horsepower and should be somewhat concerned about weight and ability of the transom to support it.   

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
Agree with previous post but remember this is an older boat that likely was manufactured before 4- strokes were the norm.  HP not the only factor in capacity plate, weight is.  And 175 hp 2-strokes were probably about the same weight as today’s 4- stroke 100-115.  The problem isn’t in the water, it’s all that weight sitting off the transom on the trailer and going down the road. Trust me, I have a friend that had a 2000’s welded aluminum boat with offshore transom and he stuck a much bigger/heavier 4-stroke outboard on it than the 2 stroke it came with.  Ended up cracking welds and needed to be repaired and re-enforced.  Your boat is riveted and not nearly as heavy duty, also probably a bit lighter and maybe even narrower than most boats like it today.  So you can get away with less horsepower and should be somewhat concerned about weight and ability of the transom to support it.   

In addition to that, most fishing boats have a kicker hanging off there as well and often extra batteries or other gear in the back which quickly add another 200 pounds.  All that weight can have a very dramatic effect in how the boat takes waves from the stern.

If you are fishing salt water, in that size boat you will be able to count the number of times a year you can go wide open.  Most of the time, conditions will dictate the speed you run, not the size of the motor.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal