collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Motel vs. camping  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Motel vs. camping
« on: May 03, 2019, 06:33:32 AM »
So when you guys hunt out of state, how many of you camp out vs. get a motel room?

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
Re: Motel vs. camping
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 06:50:37 AM »
For Idaho elk, we camp.  I don't see where it would be time effective to stay at a motel.  Even if it's a hour away, that's two hours there and back that you are either losing hunting time or sleep. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »
If you have the disposable income than eating out and staying in a motel is great. Usually adds some drive time and added fuel costs also. I’m doing 4 states a year on average so I’d go broke staying in a motel. I’m also no there to camp so if I’m not backpacking and I’m only truck camping then I run a very minimal camp. Jet boil and a lawn chair type camp. If it’s a late season hunt though and weather is cold a wall tent setup is nice or propane in a big dome tent though condensation can get annoying
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
I’d also add that for what a week in a hotel would cost you could buy camping gear that will offer you countless days afield. I sleep under my tailgate half the time though so maybe not the best person to ask about this :chuckle:  we had a pretty plush “minimalist” camp in WY a while back. @Bullblaster may have pics since he didn’t lose his phone on Sunday  :'(

It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:17:51 AM »
Most of the time I camp but for a certain late hunt I hotel.  When I had a Suburban it was perfect because I had the back all set up for sleeping and I could move camp every night and sleep wherever was most convenient for hunting.  My truck now has a 6.5 bed which is cramped so I usually tent.

If it's wicked cold, coming back to a hotel and hot tub are very nice.  In that instance, I only have a 20 minute drive to about 6 hunting spots so it's really convenient as well.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:39:18 AM »
We camp out.  Either tent, Travel Trailer, or on our backs
Saves time money, and we are much more mobile this way.

We have gotten a room in the past, mid trip, to shower and dry out when needed.  It's always coincided with being in town for some other reason.  It's also always taken way more time out of our day than expected.  It an be hard to find a room during season too, especially for one night. 

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »
Whenever I go by myself I always camp in free areas. Last year I started camping in my vehicles to save time and to be more mobile. I took my Dad out in Decemeber and he asked that we get a motel because he can't do the cold anymore. I'd have to give up hunting if I were staying in motels. At this point I have the cost down to gas and licensing, everything else is paid for.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
When I was younger, I'd sleep in the bed of my truck under my canopy. Too old now, so moteling it is. I'd always pick a motel where I could start hunting within minutes. For wolf hunting, I'd stay in Avery in my camper and or Wallace at the Starlight.....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:17:37 PM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
I’d also add that for what a week in a hotel would cost you could buy camping gear that will offer you countless days afield. I sleep under my tailgate half the time though so maybe not the best person to ask about this :chuckle:  we had a pretty plush “minimalist” camp in WY a while back. @Bullblaster may have pics since he didn’t lose his phone on Sunday  :'(

I got a couple. Not many or great ones tho. That trip we didn’t even go it o town to eat once. It was nice. 

The wind karate chopping the tent was a bit surprising tho!  :chuckle:

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
Camp is the preference for me whether it be trailer, wall tent or packing in. Hoteled it a couple of times and its nice but I catch myself not hunting as hard if Im in a hotel and have to drive a ways to get back to where Im hunting.  Late November though if I dont have a tent with stove or a travel trailer I would be in a hotel for sure because Im weak like that.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »

I got a couple. Not many or great ones tho. That trip we didn’t even go it o town to eat once. It was nice. 

2 cots, sleeping bags, tent, stove, and a cooler. Don’t need much more than that.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 10:16:49 AM »

2 cots, sleeping bags, tent, stove, and a cooler. Don’t need much more than that, other than a complete collection of john Denver's greatest hits!!  He's my favorite singer, often dress up like him.
I fixed it for you karl.    :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
Kind of all of the above.  When out of state, I'm usually with friends.  Although sometimes solo.  Depends on if it's an archery season back country hunt or a later rifle season in worse weather.   I've done motel once when the excess rain caused a flood to make crossing the creek up to our backcountry camp location too dangerous to cross so we altered plans, and staid at a hotel 10 miles away and changed where we hunted.  But that was more of a safety thing.   

If I'm solo, and it's a shorter hunt I sleep in the bed of my truck under the canopy.  If I'm solo and it's a longer hunt, I'm usually backpacked in somewhere in tent or tipi/stove setup.  Usually with the guys, we'll be in my 8man tipi in the backcountry somewhere.  There is the occasional time like last month's turkey opener in Oregon where I got lazy and had my brother in law tow his 30 ft travel trailer out and we camped in style.   

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »

2 cots, sleeping bags, tent, stove, and a cooler. Don’t need much more than that, other than a complete collection of john Denver's greatest hits!!  He's my favorite singer, often dress up like him.
yes sir! I play them so no matter how bad the weather conditions get, the misery is drowned out by the misery of the music :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

2 cots, sleeping bags, tent, stove, and a cooler. Don’t need much more than that.
Uhh... we had a oven too. How else would we have cooked the pizzas and burritos!!??

Don’t you remember anything!? :tung:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »

yes sir! I play them so no matter how bad the weather conditions get, the misery is drowned out by the misery of the music :chuckle:
I think the wind even blew the music away

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »

That tent is nicer than some of the hotels I've stayed at.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »

That tent is nicer than some of the hotels I've stayed at.
You obviously haven’t smelled the inside of it. 

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
I’m normally a camper, but taking my grandpa to Wyoming for antelope this year I think we are going to do a motel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
I do both, much depending on what is available in the area. 

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
1000 miles pulling the RV in November in Montana
Nah
Got my reservations at the motel booked for a week starting on Veterans Day
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
Wall tent, bivy or back seat...it just doesn't feel like hunting if I'm in a hotel...

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Where I hunt it would be a good two hour drive to get to a hotel.  Even if it was an hour I wouldnt do it.  I would be asleep before I/we ever got there.  Usually beat to snot by the time I reach camp in the dark.  Eat, clean up a little, brush teeth and cutting zzzzzssss.  Wake up and repeat.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:56:27 PM by Crunchy »

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
1000 miles pulling the RV in November in Montana
Nah
Got my reservations at the motel booked for a week starting on Veterans Day

Same here air bnb rented for the week.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
So here’s the dilemma though. I’ve been told where I’ll be hunting in MT it can get down to like -22 at night.. not sure if I am prepared to try and camp in that kind of weather. But I guess last year it was super mild. So I’d rather camp if the weather permits that, but -22 degrees and I’m thinking a motel room, even with an hour each way drive might be the way to go.. just can’t decide what to do.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »
One of the reasons I don't camp sometimes is simply the time.  When you need a wood stove due to temps and the need to dry stuff out, it takes me a 1/2 day to set up camp, 1/2 day to cut wood and 1/2 day to tear down camp.  I also need a ton more gear.  That is 1.5 days of extra hunting I could do if I'm on a fixed schedule and a much simpler operation.

I've tried truck camping when it's cold and it just doesn't work for me beyond a couple days.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 03:28:17 PM »
You’ve also got to think about the 30mph to 40mph wind that you’ll likely get to go along with the cold if you’re hunting eastern Montana.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
We camp out of a motel  :chuckle:. The areas we hunt are 1- 1 1/2 hrs from the motel. Just get up earlier than we would if we camped close to our spot. Dont eat out at all just hit up the local supermarket for food , or bring stuff from home and a little bbq.
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
Last year mid November, -2 was cold enough
And if you don’t have motel reservations already
You may be SOL
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »
So here’s the dilemma though. I’ve been told where I’ll be hunting in MT it can get down to like -22 at night.. not sure if I am prepared to try and camp in that kind of weather. But I guess last year it was super mild. So I’d rather camp if the weather permits that, but -22 degrees and I’m thinking a motel room, even with an hour each way drive might be the way to go.. just can’t decide what to do.

If you can hunt in -22 you can camp in -22. A good canvass wall tent with plenty of wood would be the only way to do it.  Otherwise hotel.  Good thing about those late season hunts is that it gets dark early so you can drive an hour and still have plenty of time to eat and sleep.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »
always camp. Not effective use of time for me in almost every place I hunt. My last ID hunt I was 17 mi from several motels and it would of been a 2 hour drive one way every day to just stay in a motel. On extended hunts Ill get a room 1 night in middle of hunt to shower, get more supplies and wash clothes.

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 01:55:11 AM »
I think you should camp, we camped in Montana last year and it was 2 degrees and I loved every minute of it, if you are totally comfortable and cozy you won’t even remember the trip in a few years. Embrace the suck and you will remember it forever!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »
2014 we had several nights that it got sub negative 25.  Required multiple restocking of the woodstove.  I always pack 3 days of wood if I am unsure of availability. 

Takes 20 min to set up a wall tent. If you are worried that setting up your whole camp is going to eat up precious hunting time then slap the tent up, pitch all your crap inside and go hunt. You can situate camp in the dark so it does not interfere with hunting. Lot more time efficient than driving back and forth. 

Keep the saw in the truck and snag wood if you find it.  If I have a good tree I can cut a whole cord in an hour so enough wood for camp won't take more than that.

If you are going way east I'd think about pellets instead of wood as it can be hit or miss.

Don't over think camp.  I see the mountain of crap guys take for camp and just shake my head.  If camp life is a big part of it for people then bring the bells and whistles but otherwise you really don't need very much stuff. 

Just some random  and general thoughts on this subject :hello:

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
I'm 53.  No more sleeping on the ground for me!!!  We hunt 7 miles outside of Evanston Wyoming and I can get a hotel for $50 a night.  Split with your hunting buddy, that's $25 a night and you get a hot shower every day and a bed to sleep on!!  Nothing fancy but it beats packing all of the gear and stuff the 10-12 hour drive over!  They even have outside plug in's for your small chest freezer in the bed of your truck.  In Montana we rent the ranchers second house (past deceased parents home).  $1200 for the week split between 4 guys the second week of November.  It comes along with 12,000 acres of private ground!  That's $300 a piece for an entire week of lodging and high quality deer hunting.  The ranch I  hunt here in Washington is 45 miles from my house.  Just a hop skip and a jump away!  No hard ground for me!!!!!  I must be getting soft in my old age!!!!
Zonk Volmer

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Pretty much the only nights I sleep well is on the hard ground in the freezing cold so I'm all for camping. Used to set the wall tent up and wood stove and we could get the thing hotter than we wanted in no time at all but don't like being that tied down to a spot. Like to keep camp with me now unless I'm really familiar with the area.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »
I think the lodging could depend upon how you intend to hunt.  Drive/glass/hike/stalk/blow stock/hike back to truck, then repeat -- you could camp wherever you find yourself at the end of the day I guess.  Setup tent and stove.

Or you could drive to the motel, if it's not far away.

If I knew where I was going in MT this year and was familiar with the terrain, and intended to hunt the area the entire time, and intended to go several miles in and stay in the area, then I would camp obviously.

And I don't know where we'll hunt MT this year.  First year we stayed at two separate motels.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal